Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

don't crap in a box Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
my Primary Care Physcian recently told me i needed another colonoscopy as had been over 10 yrs since last one. diff dr./place etc. asked if i had seen the ad on tv where you dump in a box and send it in to a lab. said either that or get the tube up the ass one. told me most young uns get the tube, older guys the box. so...i did the box one, came back positive for colon cancer. went to a colon dr and he said those tests are crap (sorry)and advertise a 10% false positive rate, but its much higher. was a very stressful 6 weeks till i got tube/camera exam. turns out he removed 3 polyps, all pre cancerous. had i done the tube in then first place i could of saved about a gallon of tequilla and a lotta sleep. lesson learned! don't do it! even if it comes back negative, it misses a lot. high rate of false negatives too.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Never put off getting a colonoscopy. Good friend passed away from colon cancer. He suffered something terrible for a year.

~Ann

Posts: 19133 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
My wife went into the hospital Thursday morning + had 8" of colon removed.Still there; we'll see if they release her tomorrow. Been a stressful few days.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hope it works out well!

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
My wife went into the hospital Thursday morning + had 8" of colon removed.Still there; we'll see if they release her tomorrow. Been a stressful few days.

May she heal quickly!

~Ann

Posts: 19133 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to you both.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
turns out he removed 3 tumors, all pre cancerous.

Actually very common, called polyps , one very good reason to have the real thing.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1584 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Best wishes and prayers sent. May she have many more years.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, she is home now + feeling better. I have to keep telling her to rest + not overdo it.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, good to hear your bride is mending!
Just got to thinking that it has been a while since I have had the scope vs the Cologuard envelope thing. No history of colon cancer in the family, but younger brother has had a hell of a battle with Crohn's Disease.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16333 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams1:
quote:
turns out he removed 3 tumors, all pre cancerous.

Actually very common, called polyps , one very good reason to have the real thing.

Grizz

yes, why the hell would i say tumors? i'll have to correct that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
Randy, good to hear your bride is mending!
Just got to thinking that it has been a while since I have had the scope vs the Cologuard envelope thing. No history of colon cancer in the family, but younger brother has had a hell of a battle with Crohn's Disease.

i really hope you meant to say BOX instead of envelope. if not, post a pic of the envelope. BEFORE it was used! i honestly can't think of any envelope that would suffice. at least not around here. you move yet?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks, she is home now + feeling better. I have to keep telling her to rest + not overdo it.

thats good news! hope she keeps doing good. my wife gets probed on the 15th.

One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
quote:

thats good news! hope she keeps doing good. my wife gets probed on the 15th.

Glad your wife is home and hopefully resting.
My wife was supposed to go in when Covid shut everything down for her 2nd check. They removed several non-cancerous polyps the first time. She tried several times to schedule but the Dr would not run the scope without her having all shots, boosters and testing and quarantining for 5 days prior to the scope. She finally talked to her GP and he scheduled with another Dr. She goes in on the 25th. No Covid test and no quarantining. She does have shots and boosters.

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m not a doc. But seems to me the crap in a box test will tell you if you have colon cancer or not, plus or minus it’s rate of inaccuracy. The tv camera up the colon will look for polyps that are pre cancerous to be removed, and tumors. If taken at the right intervals, it can prevent colon cancer.
Seems to me the colonoscopy is a far better tool to reduce colon cancer. BTW, I’ve had four colonoscopy’s.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2631 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
according to them, it only detects a change in ur DNA. now how that applies i have no idea but i guess it does or they wouldn't say it. right?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Friend's daughter decided to get her first colonoscopy when she turned 50. Stage-4 colon cancer. They believe it has metastasized but are still running tests to determine the margins.

My son got his first last week. Clear. My brother had colorectal cancer, but was cured. I get a colonoscopy every five years due to that family connection.

The stupidest reason I ever heard for not having a colonoscopy was from a guy that said surgery caused cancer so that was why he wouldn't have one done sooner. He was talking to us AFTER he found out he had Stage-4 colon cancer. We explained that a colonoscopy was NOT surgery. The first he'd heard of that. (One of the dumbest conversations I ever sat through.) It killed him in about a year.

Posts: 13763 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone should get a colonostipy, especially as we get older. I put mine off for years but got one last year + had all benign polops (thank God) + will go back in another 3-5 years. There is NO surgery, you get put under + wake up later feeling just fine. No reason for anyone to be scared of it. Besides if you're on Medicare it's free anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry, I meant to say colonoscopy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Friend's daughter decided to get her first colonoscopy when she turned 50. Stage-4 colon cancer. They believe it has metastasized but are still running tests to determine the margins.

My son got his first last week. Clear. My brother had colorectal cancer, but was cured. I get a colonoscopy every five years due to that family connection.

The stupidest reason I ever heard for not having a colonoscopy was from a guy that said surgery caused cancer so that was why he wouldn't have one done sooner. He was talking to us AFTER he found out he had Stage-4 colon cancer. We explained that a colonoscopy was NOT surgery. The first he'd heard of that. (One of the dumbest conversations I ever sat through.) It killed him in about a year.

had a part gunsmith at the shop mid 80s smoked like a chimney. drank beer like it was gonna be outlawed . i mean a case in all night poker games on friday nights. claimed to be religious, said since hops and nicotine were made by god it was ok since god was perfect. and he was skinny too. said he never used toothpicks since his uncle got mouth cancer and he always used toothpicks. i told him to quit driving to work since cars cause traffic accidents. he started working out of his house shortly after. i quit using him so i never knew "the rest of the story".
had a neighbor when we lived by corpus christi smoked 3 packs a day. highly educated, successful man. claimed lung cancer was a disease caused by drs to get rich. told him there was no way in HELL he could be that stupid. he just kept puffin away. still is i guess. oh, and was a die hard democrat. figures.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, in all honesty in the old days (prior to 1968) we were all Democrats here in the south. That's why the term "The Solid South" came about as we could be counted on to carry the Democratic party. That changed with Nixon, or should I say that the party changed at that time, because that was when the party changed from being the saviour of the working man to being the the free ride party, although I think LBJ started it with his "Great Society". If that makes me a racist, make the most of it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Linda informed me that it had been a month since her operation. I made the stupid mistake of saying that it didn't seem that long ago. I was corrected with a stare that would melt glass.

Posts: 4145 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just had a colonoscopy Wednesday. First time they ever found polyps. The lab work comes back next week.

I had been getting a colonoscopy every five years, since my older brother had colorectal cancer years ago. My doctor wants me to start getting them every three years now.

My wife has battled polyps for many years, going through a period of getting a colonoscopy every six months. Last time she was clear. They have stretched her tests out to every three years.

It's the foods we eat. https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/01...-wellness/index.html

I'm going to try to ween myself off of some of these items. (I love wild hog sausage. That will be a tough one.)

Posts: 13763 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sabretooth
posted Hide Post
I have to get colonoscopies every three years due to the family history. My father (formerly a member here on AR. His name was Doubless) passed away from colon cancer. The doctors gave him 12-18 months and he put up a fight for four and a half years but it finally got him. I watched him whither away and deteriorate over the few years. It’s a horrible illness. The procedure is a breeze. The prep however- it’s horrendous!!

Posts: 596 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 10 March 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I hate drinking that stuff, although the flavor has gotten better. One guy commented on here a few years ago that when he was talking with his doctor on the day of the procedure that the doc told him, a lot of guys put vodka in theirs. Why in the hell wasn't I told that in advance?!!

Posts: 4145 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote