One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted
recommend some??… thanks, jim

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2824 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Any luck on that theft of yours?

Many home owner policies require a rider beyond contents for firearms, especially if substantial amounts. Each is different. I think NRA membership includes a small amount. There are other independent companies, but can’t say I’ve used them other than just for specific trips.

This is something I need to also check on for an update to see if they must be itemized. That might be a pain for you and others with a very fluid inventory.

I’d check with your agent to see what your policy covers and then maybe add supplemental if necessary. Thanks for this post, as I need to call to check on mine tomorrow.

By the way, that .30-06 M70 I bought from you is now a .300 H&H. I still need to crank a few more through it, but I’m pleased so far.

I hope all is well.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Jim, get the best you can. I know that the NRA policy that I have only covers 10K of loss; that doesn't even come close to the values. I know that a friend here in Austin who had the largest collection of Garands had a house fire due to A/L wiring + even though Charlie had a Million $ policy he still took it in the shorts. I have another friend that had a house fire + when the agent came to inspect he could tell by the semi melted revolvers what were Colts or Rugers.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Jim, get the best you can. I know that the NRA policy that I have only covers 10K of loss; that doesn't even come close to the values. I know that a friend here in Austin who had the largest collection of Garands had a house fire due to A/L wiring + even though Charlie had a Million $ policy he still took it in the shorts. I have another friend that had a house fire + when the agent came to inspect he could tell by the semi melted revolvers what were Colts or Rugers.

Yes, the insurance company normally wins. I'm leery of an itemized list, but how else can you prove what you had. I think it should also be the same with art.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First of the year I contacted my insurance company about my firearms. $300.00 per firearm,plus my crossbow., must have pictures and serial numbers of the firearms. They will insure them for more But!! I must have an appraisal for more insurance

Posts: 112 | Location: northern lower michigan | Registered: 22 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
right. i am with USAA and when we moved into a new house in dec i called em and asked about firearms insurance. they want pics, descriptions, serial #s, assesments, etc. not gonna happen.
when living in old house from 2001 to 2020, they said they were covered under an umbrella policy.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
The homeowners policy I had cancelled on renewal... they renewed for a higher rate, only $160 more for the year, but excluded any theft for a year.... the NRA"s $1000 coverage still hasn't been approved... since im remodeling the kitchen, my options are limited... I have the firearms at another location, pending coverage from somebody else.... only 1 rifle has been recovered and 1 pistol, but neither are back to me yet.. I did a search on AR, for insurance companies, seems a couple years ago, someone mentioned a company in florida,,, I have pictures, serial numbers, lots of receipts, and can get an appraisal if necessary... most homeowner policies are limited to $2500 on firearms and jewelry... my agent doesn't have anyone in mind for coverage... so im still looking....

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2824 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy the biggest gun safe you can. Insurance on firearms is a ripoff if you have more than a few firearms.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Buy the biggest gun safe you can.

Agree. I had firearms insurance in the past, for many years, through SIAI in Florida. Just became too expensive for me. I still get a policy on my expensive rifles when I am traveling to hunt in Africa, etc.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Buy the biggest gun safe you can. Insurance on firearms is a ripoff if you have more than a few firearms.

I’ve priced insurance several times. It’s crazy expensive. Good safes are my insurance.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree it's cheaper in the long run. One of my safes is an old (1903) bank vault that has a 4-hour fire rating (asbestos was legal then) + still has the sodium cyanide ampules in the door behind the tumblers. You drill it + open the safe you get hit in the face with poison gas. They didn't mess around with crooks in those days. Of course, it's outlawed these days. Sign of the times.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If one can afford to do so a underground vault some what detached from the house.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
still asking for insurance providers that will cover firearms???......

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Agree. I had firearms insurance in the past, for many years, through SIAI in Florida.

Is this not what you were looking for?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimatcat:

https://www.easterninsurance.c...ce/historic-firearms

I don’t use insurance for firearms but I know people who insure thru eastern.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please check out ..Collectables insurance agency. It is very good insurance and not crazy expensive. They started originally insuring stamo collections. I use them for my knife shipments. I also have them covering my guns. I know of 2 people who has had to file on theft. No hassels and both recieved a check for coverage within 30 days.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

https://www.easterninsurance.c...ce/historic-firearms

I don’t use insurance for firearms but I know people who insure thru eastern.

Mike

Eastern is who I use for my collection. They even cover loss while travelling.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Let us know if you find some that’s not insanely expensive. Good luck.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you gotten a quote from Eastern? I think their rates are very reasonable. I haven't had a claim yet.....

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i got on their website and filled out my info... since its the weekend, i got a standard mssg that they'll contact me tomorrow... thanks!!!

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

one of us
posted Hide Post
Opus nailed it. Break their backs if they want them. I hate supporting insurance companies.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I have used Cor-Vens for years and if you are a DSC member, you get a price break. What I like is you buy your coverage in dollar amounts, you DO NOT supply them with serial numbers or any other info unless any single firearm is worth 20K or above, and you only provide them info on those. They cover losses when traveling.
They have been around a long time catering to Collectors, Dealers and so forth. I want to say 125K of coverage runs about $435 per year. I have never had a claim. I have very good safes, but having been in the gun safe business for many years, I recommend also carrying insurance. With the proliferation of quality cordless grinders, saws etc. anyone with a bit of knowledge can breach most Residential Security Containers in 15-20 minutes.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2247 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That does not sound that unreasonable for a year's coverage + we all know that it doesn't take that long to accumulate 125 K in firearms.

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
thanks, Bob.. i sent them an inquiry also...

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
most gun safes on the market (Winchester, Liberty, Browning, Remington, etc)are classified by the insurance industry as an RSC, or Residential Security Cabinet, NOT as a safe. And a search of Youtube will show you these "safes" being defeated in mere minutes.

so if your going the "Safe" route, consider something more substantial like this.. https://zanottiarmor.com/

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And unfortunately these days all the rights go to the criminals. Heaven help you if you set a booby trap to protect your possessions. Gone are the days when my buddy, after getting his C.B. radios stolen out of his truck, brazed onto the back, treble hooks onto the new C.B. Yep the wet was still there in the morning under the dash.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have insurance with Eastern Insurance. I also have gun safes. With Eastern you can also identify certain firearms with extra values eg. double rifles. I don't see anything wrong with identifying these specific items.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And unfortunately these days all the rights go to the criminals. Heaven help you if you set a booby trap to protect your possessions

One of the first cases we studied in law school 41 years ago, dealt with a death caused by a spring gun that someone had set to take care of the burglary problem. Only problem was that the spring gun was illegal. Big Grin But, I do like the treble hooks brazed onto the back of the new C.B.! rotflmo