Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windows 8 Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Anyone else hate windows 8 as much as i do. I seriously cannot believe mr softie could develop so bad and disjointed an upgrade.

If Microsoft can be so incompetent as a for profit business why should we expect a community organizer to be a great president.

I truly hate windows 8.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our company moved to Windows 8 initially, then rolled back to 7 within a month. My wife moved to Windows 8 at the first opportunity and I heard nothing but complaining. I stayed with Windows 7. It does everything I need.

I really wanted to shift to Apple, but I'm in so deep with Microsoft, I can't ever make the conversion.

Posts: 13771 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is what happens when you upgrade from Win 7 to Win 8 :

Win 8 is worse than Vista and Vista sucked hugely. Win 8 was DOA and Win 9 is already in the works.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its not just upgrading. YOu cannot buy windows 7 on any news pc.

I just bought a new notebook and have to deal with this crap.

Also some of the software I use works only on 32 bit. So I need to go make all these changes in this crappy software to run 32 bit version of IE ect.

I love google drive - I just wish google made a whole software package to kill microsoft.

Apple is nice but most of my software runs like crap on apple.

It just arrogance and stupidity from Mr Softie - shows if microsoft can be so arrogant and stupid what can I expect from Obama and Obamacare.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've been running Windows 8.1 since it came out; it's different than Vista (and a huge improvement) or Windows 7 (different, not much of an improvement).

Does it not run correctly for you or have you just not figured it out yet?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both

I like the start button - it made things simple.

The tiles are okay if you are running tablet mode or on a notebook.

But on a large screen - its a chore to use.

I don't like the fact for a existing platform with hundreds of millions of users they did such a radical change.

No business use it - IT departments hate it.

I as retail am stuck with it and I have to find plugs to get a start menu back.

The beauty of apple has always been simplicity - Steve Jobs figured that out - made tech simple - clean uncluttered. Look at google search engine - simple. Facebook simple. Windows 8 is neither simple or clean or uncluttered.

I agree in its background it is a very good system - surface is a great tablet. My Leveco Yoga 2 is better than an airbook.

But I hate the f*cking arrogance of Mr Softie to treat its existing user base like they are a bunch of retards. So Obama like.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
I just had my last crash with a Windoze product. I no longer run a Windoze operating system on any of my computers. I loaded Linux Lubuntu the same time I loaded my new computer with Windoze 7. After the third crash (all three in a matter of two months) I loaded Ubuntu 14.04.1 on the Windoze machine. I have an office program that loads all my Windoze files (Libre Office) and a cad program that I can use all the files from my Windoze cad program. I lost nothing in the tranfer and have had no problems with any open source software.

Setting up the Thunderbird Email system was completely transparent and the Firefox web browser is a dream.

When it comes time to get a new computer I will load the latest edition of Ubuntu on it and never again use a Windoze product or support software.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I am not a computer aficionado, much less a guru. All I can say for sure is I will NEVER get Windoze 8, and the last Mindsoft product I liked was Windows 6. Windoze 7 was forced on me by losing much if not all the support out there for my Windows 6 activities.

For me the next step is back to Mr. Jobs' systems...which I had when I slaved at American Express 22 years ago. I no longer care how much more it costs. It is logical and does what I want it to when (and only when) I want it.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hate the fact that I cannot buy a Windows 7 machine. This software is forced onto me.

I don't have a choice in moving to mac or another platform. The software I run for work will only run on a windows system.

So I have upgraded crappy windows 8.1 and software that runs on 32 bit windows. I have to go into windows 8.1 and downgrade everything to 32 bit.

What I am so angry about is microsoft was so f*cking arrogant on forcing windows 8 onto its user base. That is pure arrogance.

Why not give consumers a choice to buy your last already developed product?

Bill Gates goes and bitches about drugs companies and the cost of vaccines that his charity has to buy. Maybe he look at his own crappy company forcing its incompetence onto its fixed user base.

This is no different than a drug company taking a perfectly good drug off and replacing it with a crappy drug.

Its exploiting a fixed consumer base.

Bloomberg does the same for its terminals and you will see banks and other financial institutions go after Bloomberg's network monopoly.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You still can buy computers both desk top and laptop with Win 7. HP and others are still selling Win 7 because of the backlash against Win 8. But trying to get a new Win 8 computer reverted to Win 7 takes some doing.

If Win 8 was so wonderful, why is MS working overtime to replace it?

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Seems there is a "One off, one on" thing with windows.
XP was good
Vista was a POS
Windows 7 was good
Windows 8 is a POS.
Problem with up/down grading to 7 is that support terminates feb 15. Hardly worth it for 6 months.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Dane:
Seems there is a "One off, one on" thing with windows.
XP was good
Vista was a POS
Windows 7 was good
Windows 8 is a POS.
Problem with up/down grading to 7 is that support terminates feb 15. Hardly worth it for 6 months.

Arrogance - keep f*cking up and no consequences cause the user base is so large and fixed.

Now you are seeing pc sales starting to dip - it aint all tablets ect. It windows 8. Why Apple desktop and notebook sales are up - cause windows sucks. Apple was out there talking about the end of the pc era and retard Balmer made sure Apple pc actually went up.

I think with chrome book you will see Google try and radically change the desktop - at least I hope so. Problem is so much software has been written for MS windows systems.

I just look at this as pure arrogance. Maybe the Indian guy can fix Mr. Softie but I doubt it.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really liked XP............... 8 sux.

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I build my own desktops, and install Win 7 on them.

All my laptops have Win 7 too, as it seems all top end laptops give you the option of which one to install.

I used Win 8 briefly, and was a bit annoyed with it because one cannot seem to find what one wants as fast as in 7.

Have not tried 8.1, which I understand brought back the start button.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66902 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I build my own desktops, and install Win 7 on them.

All my laptops have Win 7 too, as it seems all top end laptops give you the option of which one to install.

I used Win 8 briefly, and was a bit annoyed with it because one cannot seem to find what one wants as fast as in 7.

Have not tried 8.1, which I understand brought back the start button.

Not really a start button

There are choices for desktops but laptops is slim choices with windows 7.

These ultrabooks that I like so much come with no cd-drives. All software has to be downloaded and Mr. Softie aint selling Windows 7.

The touch features of windows 8.1 on a ultrabook are nice. My issues is my transform the desktop so much that your user base cannot use your new system - that is arrogance.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I gave up on Windows 8

Went to storage got my old computer and set it back up.

Now I need to find some smart kid to upgrade the memory by taking it off the other 4 old machines I have lying around.

I hate Mr. Softie.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
While I had my computer guy at my office today, I asked him about 8 and he said there is a "fix" or something like that called "Classic Shell" that reconfigures the new look to the old one. Might be worth a look or a call to an IT tech.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
Mike,
While I had my computer guy at my office today, I asked him about 8 and he said there is a "fix" or something like that called "Classic Shell" that reconfigures the new look to the old one. Might be worth a look or a call to an IT tech.

Hey Rick

I have classic shell on one machine and pokki on another - does help.

But this software is so screwed up I am fed up and I bet every corp IT administrator was the fist time they saw what Mr. Softie did and thus no one switch to windows 8 in corp world.

Latest rant

If you bought windows 8 and upgrade to windows 8.1 - you have access to IE 10 and IE 11.

If you buy windows 8.1 only you have no access to IE 10.

A good amount of professional software is written to run on IE 10 - 32 bit architecture. It does not work on windows 8.1 only machine.

So now I have one machine with windows 8 upgraded to windows 8.1 that runs IE 10 via a selection downgrade. Everyone of my windows 7 machine runs IE 10.

My latest greatest laptop only runs windows 8.1 and IE 11 - basically useless to me. I cannot downgrade from windows 8.1 as Lenovo utilities are tied to windows 8.1.

How can you design a software upgrade that is not backwards tied to your other programs? I am just a small user of windows with very limited machines - think about a bank or govt agency where 1000s of people use a software written for IE10 and then windows 8.1 comes along.

This arrogance is mind numbing - we have a 1 bil users and they are retards and we can upgrade to crap and they will rewrite their software to work maybe on our upgraded crap.

I am ranting - time to go get a beer - everyone have a great weekend.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ranting like that will get your blood pressure up, sounds like you need to go straight to the Scotch! jumping

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The geeks out in Redfield(?) all figured that everybody in the world was using tablets and phones as their main computer platform, so they designed a great big pos phone software and called it windows 8.
The only problem is NOBODY in the business or .gov world was using phones as their desktops. And nobody wants to buy new touchscreen computers that 8 really is designed for.
XP was great, seven took 13 minutes to open on my desktop last time I turned it on. I'll be switching to something other than microcrap when my last XP mahine dies...

Posts: 148 | Location: back in the USA | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hit the limit with Windows 8 and 8.1

So I upgraded/switched to windows 10 beta version

First read - compared to windows 8 it is damn good.

Start button back and new folders/settings on tool/task bar. This feels like a great version of windows 7.

I need to check out the new mac software and devices.

Another plug - google drive is awesome.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
my future soninlaw hates it, and he's a microsoft engineer

Posts: 13440 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use win 8.1 in desktop mode (no it isn't an add-on) and notice little difference in the interface. Some things are different, but they are better especially behind the scenes.

They could have avoided all the angst if they had just put a button on the desktop that swapped the interface to the mobile mode rather than the other way around.

For those that don't know, from the apps menu (the funky mess of icons plastered everywhere) press the up-arrow in the lower left corner it takes you to the start screen. From there click on the desktop icon (should be top left).

There you go. Done. To shut down, go to the start screen (the window thing where the start button used to be) and look for the shut down/restart button top right.

restart in desktop mode and it should stay in that mode for startup. If not it is a couple clicks away.

Some things you think you need to do, you really don't. People often worry because they can't see where to set up the virus scan schedule; you don't need to, it does it in real time all the time.

There was still a market for black powder long after the arrival of smokeless powder. In most cases it was a matter of having the right platform. But there were probably people who hated the fact that new platforms were designed mostly for smokeless powder and couldn't understand how they had been summarily dismissed by the industry. Don't be that guy Big Grin

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScottB:
I use win 8.1 in desktop mode (no it isn't an add-on) and notice little difference in the interface. Some things are different, but they are better especially behind the scenes.

They could have avoided all the angst if they had just put a button on the desktop that swapped the interface to the mobile mode rather than the other way around.

For those that don't know, from the apps menu (the funky mess of icons plastered everywhere) press the up-arrow in the lower left corner it takes you to the start screen. From there click on the desktop icon (should be top left).

There you go. Done. To shut down, go to the start screen (the window thing where the start button used to be) and look for the shut down/restart button top right.

restart in desktop mode and it should stay in that mode for startup. If not it is a couple clicks away.

Some things you think you need to do, you really don't. People often worry because they can't see where to set up the virus scan schedule; you don't need to, it does it in real time all the time.

There was still a market for black powder long after the arrival of smokeless powder. In most cases it was a matter of having the right platform. But there were probably people who hated the fact that new platforms were designed mostly for smokeless powder and couldn't understand how they had been summarily dismissed by the industry. Don't be that guy Big Grin

I will bet no one on their resume will ever list an expert in windows 8.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0007 - (Windows) "seven took 13 minutes to open on my desktop last time I turned it on. I'll be switching to something other than microcrap when my last XP mahine dies..."

I have no idea why your Windows 7 is so slow...mine loads in 22-26 seconds, every day of the year.

I suspect you have a bunch of bugs picked up during your internet travels, and a lot of stuff running all the time in the background.

There is free software out there that does a really good job of cleaning, speeding up, firewalling (and protecting against viruses and malware) for those folks running Win-dud 7 on their home PC. The one I use is called "360 Total Security".

But I'm still absolutely positive I'll be moving back to an Apple machine if I ever wear this Micro-retard turkey out.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Window 7 works well my 2 year old computer works well hopefully it was last a couple more so they can fix all the mess.

Posts: 19353 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took my XP tower offline last month and got a leftover W7 laptop for the internet-facing machine; the tower is the one I used for CAD work in the shop and it's already has way too many Microsoft Updates.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14361 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are running windows 8 there are two ways of getting it to run similar to win 7.

One is download the windows start button/menu we are all familiar with... free app from iobit. Converts windows 8 interface to win 7 style.

microsoft now offers one as a download too. IIRC its part of Win 8.1 download?

I think iobit one is prolly best if your somewhat computer challenged.

I have used both and they work fine.

So in effect you get much the same interface as win 7.

BTW iobit is a very good site to get free utility software for your windows system. Malware, system utility, de-fragger, etc.

I use it exclusively on my pc's. Works like a charm and no issues. I have been using it for some years now too btw.

If you need help or more info feel free to drop me a line.

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote