THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Best Damn BBQ joints in Texas or anywhere.......
Page 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... 29

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Damn BBQ joints in Texas or anywhere....... Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
I could be a pedant. I don't know what it means but it seems like something I could aspire to.

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lost okie:
I could be a pedant. I don't know what it means but it seems like something I could aspire to.

To each his own. Wink

Pedant: a person who is excessively concerned with minor details and rules or with displaying academic learning.

Thanks to all for the kind words. I'm just an amateur Q lover. For a pro's view, I highly recommend (again!) Daniel Vaughn's site TMBBQ.com

Of course, he's the luckiest guy I know, he gets paid to eat Q. Wink

AFA "Best" Q goes, it is just my or someone else's opinion. There are "best" lists by the dozen for almost anything. Are the "best" on that list the true "best", maybe to that set of listers, but the lists do give you a starting point and that's how they should be viewed. AFA I know the modern best lists didn't come down a mountain and are just someone's opinion that day. To repeat, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink. Of course, I think my opinion on Q is better than some others, but regarding Q, everyone can have a bad day or a bad chunk of meat. Regretfully I often don't get a chance to re-try many of the places that seemed to have promise but didn't deliver, maybe they just had a bad day. OTOH, I have tried several times a few places that are generally held in high regard by other Qphiles and I just don't agree, or, at least to the levels they put the meats on.

Hell, it's all in fun anyway, unless you're selling it which I'm not. Feel free to disagree or especially to post your own reviews.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe this will work; maybe not. There are only about 147 million craft beers now. If the barbecue is just an add-on, how good can it be?

http://www.guidelive.com/craft...end-downtown-garland

Someone else will have to check this place out. I've got too many good barbecue joints between me and it.

I'm getting a little disillusioned with the food scene lately around here. Everyone thinks they can just open a taco shop, BBQ joint, or drop a craft beer out of their ass and be successful. Every new joint is a cookie-cutter version of the last joint.

It's about like the latest Texas vodka. Who cares, really? Am I actually going to waste my money on a Texas vodka? Not in a million years. Do I really care about Version Ump-teen of the latest craft beer; not in a million years.

Having said that, I'm not completely turned off by really good food at a great price. I discovered the best Vietnamese food in North Texas a few weeks ago. It had been there for about a year. I just hadn't found it yet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Having said that, I'm not completely turned off by really good food at a great price. I discovered the best Vietnamese food in North Texas a few weeks ago. It had been there for about a year. I just hadn't found it yet.

Well, hell, don't keep it to yourself, let us all know the name and location. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pho Bay Restaurant
3933 N. Central Expressway #100
Plano

http://www.phobayrestaurant.com/

The young lady in charge is phenomenal. Food and service excellent. The food is not spicy, but you will be given the proper additional ingredients to build your own bomb.

If going for lunch try to not get there right at 12:00. The line will be out the door. Give it another thirty minutes.

The Pho Bay recommendation came to me from Mary at Fairview Nails & Spa. All the girls are Vietnamese there. They swear by Pho Bay.

If you have trouble trimming your own toenails, or just tired of screwing with them, drop by FN&S and get the Spa Pedicure. We won't tell anybody. You get a free glass of wine......or two......I've been told.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Pho Bay recommendation came to me from Mary at Fairview Nails & Spa. All the girls are Vietnamese there. They swear by Pho Bay.

Un-hunh. Big Grin dancing

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
BBQ capital of each of the 50 States ....... based on highest density of steak and barbecue restaurants per capita.

http://places.findthehome.com/...ign=ao.ss.yh.dt.7949

one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting that they pick Desoto for Texas, and Evans Barbeque as the place to go. Anyone been there?

http://www.evansbar-b-que.com/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One has to always ask the question, Who is doing the rating ?

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was going to our new place in S. Texas to meet up with my son for a few days of deer hunting (no luck) and I stopped to meet a friend for a business lunch in Ft. Worth on the way. To add to the pleasure of seeing an old friend, we met at a Q joint. So here is an up-to-date and more complete review of:

#43) The Railhead, Smokehouse B-B-Q, 2900 Montgomery St., Ft. Worth, Texas (approx one block S of the Montgomery St Exit on I-30) My overall grade 3.0

The Railhead is an older established Q joint in Ft. Worth. We picked it over Woody Creek to meet because my friend, who is a knowledgeable Q critic, said the brisket was quite a bit better.

We were there before they opened at ll and there were about 15 people in line, 5 in front of us. We ordered a pound of ribs, and 2 pounds of brisket. We noted they were slicing most of the fat and outside off most of the brisket they were serving in front of us, so we made a point to tell them we wanted it cut as it was cooked, which they did. Based on my friend's advice, we skipped the sausage since he said it was probably a commercial product that they just smoked, that is, not made in house.

Service was Texas friendly and place had plenty of seating as well as a bar in the seating area. Due to my driving, I passed on any beer, but reluctantly. Frowner

Unfortunately, the brisket did not nearly live up to its billings, it was quite tender, and a good product, but not anywhere near excellent. My friend was disappointed, said it was the worst he had had there in many years.

Ribs OTOH were excellent, quite dark, and somewhat crunchy on outside. An excellent bite.

Sauce was fair, tomato based, medium thin, somewhat spicy, slightly better than average to my tastes.

Even tho this joint has won numerous awards over the years for its Q, I would probably not go back with so many better options relatively close by. However, it is very easy to get to off of I-30 and is not bad eating so I would not completely scratch it off a traveler's list.

xxxxxxxxxx

posted Hide Post
Being the newbie here, I'm gonna' jump in and offer mho as to where great Q can be had. Try Arthur Bryants and ?or Gates in KC,MO

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
During my tenure at TCU, I had plenty of Railhead. You're right about the brisket being hit or miss. Ribs have been pretty consistent. It's unfortunate you had to pass on the beer. I love the frozen schooners.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
18th & Vine BBQ in Dallas. Everything from the name to the three stars, to the Boulevard Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale, to the "reservations are accepted", to the wine list, and the "wood-grilled Tokyo turnips and Brussels sprouts plus cranberries and a swirl of tangy pomegranate sauce" tell me this isn't BBQ heaven. This may be the opposite.

I'll never know. There are probably 30 decent BBQ joints between me and it.

I won't be spending my money at a BBQ joint that serves seared grouper on a sunchoke purée strewn with heirloom beets and woodland mushrooms and finished with a swoosh of pan jus and drizzle of parsley oil, or a barbecue cauliflower "steak", half a mopped-then-smoked head served on buttery cauliflower purée ringed with (again) parsley oil. "A delicious dish to dangle in front of a vegetarian." (Why would a vegetarian be going to a barbeque joint?) I think we can safely drop one star from its current three-star rating just on that account.

"BBQ" seems to be the new buzz-word to try to lure new Texas immigrants from "up north" into your otherwise worthless restaurant.

http://www.guidelive.com/resta...8th-vine-bbq-3-stars

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
yuck

Marcus Cady

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
The sad end of a vintage Texas BBQ joint.....for now.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news...bar-b-q-in-tioga.ece

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had to make a short run to Canton, Tx the other day to pick up what I hope will be a fun trailerable houseboat for my family.

To make the most of it, I dropped by two Q joints, one for lunch and one in the afternoon on the way back. These reviews will be relatively short because these 2 don't really deserve anymore. However, besides my 0-5 point system, I am adding a 1-3 stars shamelessly stolen from Daniel Vaughn and his blog which I highly recommend, TMBBQ.com. The star ratings are one star = AVOID, 2 stars = ok to stop and get some Q if you've got to piss anyway, and three stars = well worth going out of your way for.

First up, for those who might go to Canton for First Monday Trade Days.

#93) Backwoods Bar-B-Que, 630 W. Hwy 243, Canton, Tx. My overall rating 2.0

I went in about 12 noon and found a couple of elderly ladies serving and taking payments. Some people there for lunch, possibly the sides attracted them, or they have no concept of good Q, which is surprisingly common, even in Texas.

I asked if their sausage was home made and they said, "No, Hillshire Farms." So I skipped that and ordered a pound of ribs and a pound of brisket.

Brisket was simply what we call roast beef. No real flavor and no significant smoke effect. Ribs were slightly better, but had an odd flavor that I couldn't identify, possibly some green wood in the smoke. I'd rate them below average but edible.

Sauce was typical tomato based, but in this case it helped, almost anything would have.

I didn't try any of sides although they looked pretty good.

* One Star, I'd look for fast food first.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Second up was a joint I have driven by dozens of times, but since it is so close to home, we're always either on the way to somewhere or ready to get on home. This time, because the earlier effort was so fruitless, I stopped and tried....

#94)4 Way Barbecue, apparently also known as Bogata Food Mart, truck stop, gas station on the NW corner of the stop sign at the intersection of Hwy 37 and US 271, Bogata, Tx (I always manage to mispronounce the town name, but it is, more or less, Ba-goat-uh). My overall rating 2.75

This place is marked by a fairly large pit, which is usually smoking, on the outside of store.

I pulled in and parked in middle of lot because I was pulling fairly large boat. Went inside, and was greeted by man and woman in friendly manner, and ordered a pound of brisket (beef) sliced thick, a 1/2 side of ribs, and the minimal order of 3 Pittsburg links.

I got them all to go, in containers, in a plastic bag, because I was sort of blocking access to store.

Start down the road and find that my pound of brisket was chopped. Bummer, but tasting it I could tell that it was possibly just one very small step above roast beef, so no real loss. I'll stop by next time and see if they serve real sliced brisket, or if that's the only way it comes.

The ribs were a bargain, half slab for $9.99, and there were 5 big pork ribs in there. nice slightly reddish brown cooked appearance. They had a somewhat sweet sauce cooked on them....not my normal preference, but actually pretty tasty. Worth trying if you're lost in E. Tx and come by this joint.

Finally, the Pittsburg sausages. These tasted WAY better than they looked sitting in a layer of grease under the warmer. I'm not an expert of Pittsburg sausages, so I don't know if they all come this way or not, but they are about the size of a thumb, 2 inches long or a bit under, hand packed, and slightly spicy. If I had known how good they were I would have ordered more, which would have made them considerably cheaper per sausage. My order of 3 was $2.49 and I think 12 was about $6.99 or similar. Really fine eating, great smoke flavor, but, of course, typical grease bombs. Fine eating if your cholesterol count is under control. I promptly ate all 3 and wish I had ordered 12, so I could have taken some home.

If they had sauce, I didn't try any.

** Two Stars. Not up to 3 star level by any means but probably slightly better than just a piss stop. I would go back for sausages anytime. Brisket (see above) was a major disappointment.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone tried the Loco Coyote Grill in Glen Rose, Texas?

http://www.tmbbq.com/loco-coyote-grill-2015/

Texas Monthly brags on it. I've driven that route a dozen times and never knew it was there. People talk like it can be a one to two hour wait to get seated at times. (A little hard to believe.) No BBQ is THAT good. Texas has too many great BBQ alternatives.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Anyone tried the Loco Coyote Grill in Glen Rose, Texas?

http://www.tmbbq.com/loco-coyote-grill-2015/

Texas Monthly brags on it. I've driven that route a dozen times and never knew it was there. People talk like it can be a one to two hour wait to get seated at times. (A little hard to believe.) No BBQ is THAT good. Texas has too many great BBQ alternatives.

Well, Daniel Vaughn on TMBBQ only gives it a score of 3.0/5.0. Really decent starts about 3.75 so I wouldn't call it bragging on it. I've never been there and probably won't go. Too many better joints to visit, but Glen Rose is a nice day trip.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stopped by Lockhart's in Plano for lunch today.

http://www.lockhartsmokehouse....lano-directions.html

They sell their meat a la carte. Ask for what you want. They will weigh it, and then you pay. I asked for three meats; sausage, rib, and brisket; and two sides; jalapeno creamed corn, and spicy mac-n-cheese.

Their menu seems to float. They were out of pork chops today. Two of their sides weren't on the menu.

12:45 was a good time to arrive for lunch. No line. The place has a nice ZZ Top / Country vibe working, which spells Texas anytime. Nice people working there.

The brisket was kick-ass. Tasted like un-burnt burnt ends.

Second best was the sausage. Very nice tangy flavor.

I could have skipped the ribs. It wasn't that they weren't good. They just weren't great. On the top, thin bark over fat. The sides, and oddly enough, the bottom were quite meaty.

The two side dishes were excellent. The best way to eat them was to eat the creamed corn and the Mac down half way. Then mix them together. Cut the sausage and brisket into chunks. Dip the chunks in sauce then into the sides, and eat.

The meat was so tender that the plastic knife and fork weren't a bother.

The sauce to me wasn't great, but that is just being picky. (The first problem with the sauce was the dispenser. It doesn't shoot where it looks. I got the web of my right hand covered in sauce on my first attempt to hit the kiddie cup.)

The Coors Light went down smooth and cold.

Count on a tourist walking in and taking a picture or two, whether they ate there or not.

Count on walking out about $24 lighter. A little high, but that's being picky again.

I probably won't go back myself for a while, but it's a good place to bring guests from out of town.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another Dallas BBQ joint to try.

http://www.guidelive.com/resta...ack-barbecue-3-stars

Cattleack is touted as perhaps the best Q joint in Dallas then given a 3-Star rating. I guess 3 is the new 5.

Open only on Thursday and Friday from 10:30am until 2:00pm. Supposedly serving you free beer while you are in line, but no alcohol sold inside. Sounds like a shortcut to going broke.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's been on my "to go" list for a while, but the very limited hours have made it a mission impossible to date. FWIW Daniel Vaughn on TMBBQ gave it 4.0/5 but that was over 2 years ago, in Nov. 2013.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Kensco, thanks for following Gato's lead on reviews.

On another note, how about Kanye (or however it's spelled) getting the riot act after trying to cut in line at Franklin's? The "do you know who I am?" Doesn't work in Texas.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had to make a quick trip to Dallas today to consult with a business associate and my Q eating buddy. To make it worth the time, we agreed to meet for lunch at......

#95) The Slow Bone, 2234 Irving Blvd., Dallas, Tx Open Daily, 11-3 (not sure about Sunday). We were more than pleasantly surprised by this joint. Extremely friendly staff and owner. Jack Perkins, the owner, oversees a really tight ship. I've never been to a Q joint that was even close to as attentive to the needs and wants of its customers as this one. That said, I'd really like to give it a higher rating based on that aspect, but based on the food, I finally settled on a slightly generous 4.25/5.0

We arrived before 11 and simply because we finished our mini-business we were the second pair in line for the day. I suppose because it was Monday and early, there was a steady stream of customers, but nothing like at Pecan Lodge or Lockharts, which is another reason to consider The Slow Bone as a lunch choice IMO. I sometimes put up with them, but I hate lines.

My initial reason for choosing this joint was a review of the smoked brine fried chicken on TMBBQ (http://www.tmbbq.com/smoked-in-texas-smoke-brined-fried-chicken/) which sounded excellent. Unfortunately, both my buddy and I tried a piece out of the 3 I got on a fried chicken plate (one went home with me) and while it was very good fried chicken, neither my friend nor I could detect anything smoky from the brine and it did make the chicken fairly salty. Very good but nothing extra.

Because we ordered the fried, we skipped the Qed chicken.

We also ordered a pound of brisket, a pound of ribs, and a pound each of the smoked old time sausage and the cilantro sausage. Both were very good and not as drippingly greasy as the typical Texas Q sausage. These are not made in shop, but custom made to order (the old time) and the cilantro by a company in Austin who specializes in sausage. Making good sausage and making good Q are not mutually exclusive but they are not all that complimentary either. I think Mr. Perkins has made a wise decision to stick to the smoking end of it. I slightly preferred the cilantro and my buddy, who for some odd reason doesn't like cilantro, preferred the old time style. Unless your's are twisted like his tastes and don't like cilantro, you can't go far wrong with either choice.

They have a mini-bar with some draft beer selections past the ordering/serving line but because I was driving, I reluctantly stuck to iced tea.

The ribs were somewhat better than average, with a slightly sweet glaze. I don't prefer sweet on ribs as a rule and I found them to be a fair bit lesser bite than any of the other meats we tried. If they had been better, and smoked more like the brisket this would probably have kicked the joint up another 1/4 point in my rating.

The brisket, to both of us was the star, was presented to be sliced as a beautiful dark lump, wiggling like jello (a sure sign of damn well Qed meat). We were offered moist or lean, the moist being the fattier slices. Naturally, damn the cholesterol, we chose moist. There was a slighly different flavor in the rub, which I couldn't identify, but it was REALLY FINE BRISKET. Very hard to surpass, but perhaps Pecan Lodge does so.

Besides being frequently attended to by a staff member, we were pleasantly surprised to find that they had not one, not two, but 3 types of Q sauce.....and I was even more surprised to find that I liked them all. First was the standard house sauce, slightly tomato based with vinegar and spices, then a jalapeno/spice sauce which was green and slightly chunky but not really hot at all. Very good but, for my tastes, it could have been hotter. Finally, there was a vinegary hot style sauce which would really go well with pork. All far better than the usual, and all different from the norm. A great change from the usual tomato sauce in many joints, even some of the best.

We got greens, with a vinegar twang, and mac and cheese as well as some summer squash. All tasty, but nothing to really expound on.

In spite of ordering enough for a junior football team, we made good progress and, getting the left overs to go, waddled out.

No room for dessert.

*** Three Stars Well worth driving out of your way for. In spite of so many good new places to try, we both agreed that we would be back.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
I had to make a quick trip to Dallas today to consult with a business associate and my Q eating buddy. To make it worth the time, we agreed to meet for lunch at......

#95) The Slow Bone, 2234 Irving Blvd., Dallas, TxOpen Daily, 11-3 (not sure about Sunday). We were more than pleasantly surprised by this joint. Extremely friendly staff and owner. Jack Perkins, the owner, oversees a really tight ship. I've never been to a Q joint that was even close to as attentive to the needs and wants of its customers as this one. That said, I'd really like to give it a higher rating based on that aspect, but based on the food, I finally settled on a slightly generous 4.25/5.0

We arrived before 11 and simply because we finished our mini-business we were the second pair in line for the day. I suppose because it was Monday and early, there was a steady stream of customers, but nothing like at Pecan Lodge or Lockharts, which is another reason to consider The Slow Bone as a lunch choice IMO. I sometimes put up with them, but I hate lines.

My initial reason for choosing this joint was a review of the smoked brine fried chicken on TMBBQ (http://www.tmbbq.com/smoked-in-texas-smoke-brined-fried-chicken/) which sounded excellent. Unfortunately, both my buddy and I tried a piece out of the 3 I got on a fried chicken plate (one went home with me) and while it was very good fried chicken, neither my friend nor I could detect anything smoky from the brine and it did make the chicken fairly salty. Very good but nothing extra.

Because we ordered the fried, we skipped the Qed chicken.

We also ordered a pound of brisket, a pound of ribs, and a pound each of the smoked old time sausage and the cilantro sausage. Both were very good and not as drippingly greasy as the typical Texas Q sausage. These are not made in shop, but custom made to order (the old time) and the cilantro by a company in Austin who specializes in sausage. Making good sausage and making good Q are not mutually exclusive but they are not all that complimentary either. I think Mr. Perkins has made a wise decision to stick to the smoking end of it. I slightly preferred the cilantro and my buddy, who for some odd reason doesn't like cilantro, preferred the old time style. Unless your's are twisted like his tastes and don't like cilantro, you can't go far wrong with either choice.

They have a mini-bar with some draft beer selections past the ordering/serving line but because I was driving, I reluctantly stuck to iced tea.

The ribs were somewhat better than average, with a slightly sweet glaze. I don't prefer sweet on ribs as a rule and I found them to be a fair bit lesser bite than any of the other meats we tried. If they had been better, and smoked more like the brisket this would probably have kicked the joint up another 1/4 point in my rating.

The brisket, to both of us was the star, was presented to be sliced as a beautiful dark lump, wiggling like jello (a sure sign of damn well Qed meat). We were offered moist or dry, the moist being the fattier slices. Naturally, damn the cholesterol, we chose moist. There was a slighly different flavor in the rub, which I couldn't identify, but it was REALLY FINE BRISKET. Very hard to surpass, but perhaps Pecan Lodge does so.

Besides being frequently attended to by a staff member, we were pleasantly surprised to find that they had not one, not two, but 3 types of Q sauce.....and I was even more surprised to find that I liked them all. First was the standard house sauce, slightly tomato based with vinegar and spices, then a jalapeno/spice sauce which was green and slightly chunky but not really hot at all. Very good but, for my tastes, it could have been hotter. Finally, there was a vinegary hot style sauce which would really go well with pork. All far better than the usual, and all different from the norm. A great change from the usual tomato sauce in many joints, even some of the best.

We got greens, with a vinegar twang, and mac and cheese as well as some summer squash. All good, but nothing to really expound on.

In spite of ordering enough for a junior football team, we made good progress and, getting the left overs to go, waddled out.

No room for dessert.

*** Three Stars Well worth driving out of your way for. In spite of so many good new places to try, we both agreed that we would be back.

I forget about this place. It is good. For those coming to DSC next year, it is not too far from the convention center.

Jack Perkins also owns Maple & Motor for a great burger option. It is also close to downtown.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
This isn't really a Q review, but it is a place worth visiting.

I was making notes of Q joints to visit on the web site I have oft recommended, TMBBQ.com, and the lastest lead story had to do with a man named Karl Kuby Sr. barbecuing a couple of whole Buffalos for Super Bowl XXVII. That lead to me reading about his shop, Kuby's, now run by his son, which is a real German style sausage shop/restaurant in central Dallas. Now, I'll be the first to admit, I'm not a real sausage phile, nor am I shot full of sausage knowledge, some would say I am full of it, but it ain't sausage. However, because many of the Q joints offer smoked sausage as one of their main items, I have been exposed to it over the years. After reading about how this family had been in the sausage business for 14 generations, here, I just had to go try it. So on Tuesday, my wife and I made a run over to Dallas to visit.....

#96)Kuby's Sausage House, 6601 Snider Plaza, Dallas Texas Snider Plaza is a sort of old time strip shopping center, covering several blocks, about 5 blocks S of Lover's Lane about a mile W of 75, basically adjoining the SMU campus. Although not a Q joint, as a sausage mecca, My overall rating is 4.75.

As you enter, the main deli area with the cases of sausages, meats, etc is in front of you, and the restaurant is to the right. It was about noon and while there was not a line, the tables were all occupied, and, rather than wait, we sat at the lunch counter, where we we served by a very friendly waitress who helped explain what sausages were which. We had a sausage sample, good, but rather bland to my tastes, and my wife had a corned beef sandwich, huge as in NY deli style, but again, to my tastes, rather bland. I'm not the biggest fan of corned beef to start with. I had the Kasseler Rippchen which is a plate full of two very nice sized double-smoked pork chops, accompanied by sauerkraut, red cabbage, and German potato salad, all for $8.95. The kraut was much milder than the usual vinegary commercial product found in most hot dogs, the red cabbage was sweet and a fine counter point, and the potato salad was very good as well. It was really tasty and a real bargain for Dallas area prices for a lunch. Highly recommended.

After lunch we attacked the deli/sausage area and bought a few dozen of various types of sausage, including a couple of their biggest seller, cheddar and jalapeno summer sausage (rejected by Kuby Sr. as not even worthy of being called a sausage, but "invented" by Kuby, Jr for Dallas tastes and now their biggest seller), regular summer sausage and dozens of various others. To date, the only ones we have sampled are Venison with Chipotle Adobo sausage and Venison, both very good and not terribly greasy. Kuby's has over 80 types of sausage, plus typical deli items, plus some, to me, damn expensive beef (filets at about $30/lb) but, I suppose, the people who shop at Kuby's are like some boat owners, if you have to ask, you can't afford it. However, the sausages were reasonable IMO. We will return.

A sausage mecca....if you're into original German sausages, not to be missed. My only regret is they apparently don't have boudain, a cajun rice sausage to die for if properly done, but fairly easily made at home.

After sampling the large selection we bought, I can really recommend a couple of the ones that are called "Landjager" that are hanging up behind the meat counter (not the fake decorative ones that are more to left as you face counter). They come in two types, beef and pork. The beef is kind of like a small sausage about as big as your ring finger and a bit longer. The pork is more like a flattened leaf. They are both dry and very good for snacking, much the same as jerky. Highly recommended.

*** Three Stars. Worth going out of your way for it you like real sausages. They also do game processing at a different location, not sure of prices but would bet the result is good.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I have been having Kuby's process my deer and pigs for a long time and have never been disappointed. Having said that, it has been a few years since I needed them, but we will be getting some venison sausage back from them before too long.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like in the next week or so I'm going to be making a run down 67. That means I'm going by both Loco Coyote Grill and Hammonds BBQ. Google calls them both 4.5 stars. I was leaning towards Loco Coyote until I noticed they are closed for lunch except on weekends. Anyone been to Hammond's? (They are closed Monday and Tuesday.)

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
I have been having Kuby's process my deer and pigs for a long time and have never been disappointed. Having said that, it has been a few years since I needed them, but we will be getting some venison sausage back from them before too long.

Yes, Kuby's has been my go to for processing. I still don't know if I get my own meat, but it turns out great. They have a great crew to receive your animals and will let you hose down your truck bed there.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kensco:

I've never been to either, so no real input on either joint in Glen Rose, but based on what I've read, I'd try Hammond's first.

It seems to get good reviews but based on how little I hear about it on current Q sites, I wouldn't bet on it being anything but just about ordinary. I've decided that most people who review food on yelp, tripadvisor, etc wouldn't know brisket from pork shoulder. Good luck.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Q buddy and I decided we needed to expand our efforts and hope to make at least one trip a month to a hopefully good Q joint somewhere besides in the DFW area. Although DFW is getting so many now it is hard to keep up.

At any rate, we agreed a couple of weeks back to meet at Snow's Saturday morning. He had never been there, nor had my son, and, while I had been there, another trip to a joint that has been highly rated for years is always a good idea. Because of the distance (about 6 hours drive from me) I left Friday evening after my daughter's scrimmage softball game and headed in that direction.

On the way, and because it was about dinner time, I drove by and decided to stop in a joint that was even mentioned in an obscure Q book, but that, while I had been by there many times, had never stopped. So I walked into.....

#97)Outlaw's BBQ, 1404 Linda Dr (HWY 259),Daingerfield, Tx Surprisingly this joint has good reviews on yelp, etc. Let me quickly put the roving Q searchers to rest and save them a trip. My overall rating 2.50. If your're dying of hunger, it won't kill you but I'd hold out another 40 minutes or so to Longview if at all possible.

Because of the next day's plans, I only got a 3 meat plate which came with 2 sides. It cost $18, which I consider high for a 3 meat plate, and especially pricey for what I was served. Plate consisted of some sliced brisket, which was so crumbly it could not be picked up by a slice, a fair amount of sausage, and 2 (TWO!) quite small pork ribs. No kiss included.

I'm going to make this short, brisket was low end acceptabe, no real flavor and very crumbly, not overcooked so I'm not sure how they got it to that state but not very good. Pork ribs were better, rising to level of acceptable but nothing extra. Sausage was almost certainly commercial, probably Hillshire, and was what you would expect with a minimum of smoke.

Sauce was again, probably commercial tomato based. Dead average.

* One Star, possibly a bit better, but I'd avoid it, unless I was trapped in Daingerfield and starving. I'd avoid the brisket at all costs. Of course, I could have gotten a bad batch, but I'll never return to double check.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So, after staggering to our car (staggering becase of the load of Q we had consumed), Adam drove us back to his dorm where we said goodbye. It's hard to believe they grow up so soon......seems just like yesterday that I was teaching him how to catch a baseball for his T ball team or teaching him how to shoot his mini-.22. Frowner

I spent a restless night in a roach motel digesting the Salt Lick and got up and on the road before 7. I arrived at Lexington, Tx (a small community of about 1200 in as much of the middle of nowhere as you can find in Central Texas. It isn't close to anywhere and somewhere is a ways down the road Wink....probably a very nice place to live) which is about 65 miles from Austin about 8 AM and started to look around for.......

47) Snow's BBQ, 516 Main, Lexington, Tx. phone 979-773-4640 My overall grade A---

I was beginning to think I would have to ask someone for directions but just about that point, I spotted this really small sign saying, "Snow's BBQ" with an arrow. My Daniel Boone tendencies immediately kicked in and I found it in short order. Main St. which may have been the main street at one time is a block roughly W of Rockdale St (Bus. US 77) which serves as Lexinton's main st. these days. At any rate, I pulled up to find that there were at least a dozen or so Qphiles who had already started. I suppose this is a good spot for a brief background on why Snow's is so widely known and is a goal for many Qphiles nationwide. Texas Monthly Magazine named Snow's as the best of their top 5 Q joints in Texas in their seminal 2008 issue devoted to Texas Q. The other 4 being Kreuz' and Smitty's in Lockhart, Luling City Market in Luling, and Louie Mueller in Taylor. Not only that but because of the size of Lexington, Snow's is ONLY OPEN on Saturdays from about 8 AM until the Q is gone which is usually before 12. Because of the restricted hours it has taken several years for my schedule to allow me to get there on Sat morning. I considered actually making the 5 hour drive just for Snow's but never committed to it.

I pulled into their parking, next to the pits, where the 70plus year old woman, Tootsie, who is the pitmaster was busy at work, tending a half dozen or so pits. The owner and Tootsie both waved, but, knowing this is THE day, and seeing how busy they were, I just returned the wave and went into the small shop where the Q is sold and served. There are a few tables in there and more out in the covered pit area, but most of the Q is sold to go I imagine. There is a production line of 3 or 4 women who select, cut, sell and collect money for the Q. The Q is delivered from the pit area wrapped in aluminum foil. The prices are somewhat cheaper than most Q joints. I order 3 pounds of brisket, unsliced, 2 pounds of sausage unsliced, 3 pounds of pork ribs, uncut, and 2 pounds of pork, unsliced and the total including tax was $112. I tasted a couple of slices and a couple of ribs as they were being wrapped. Unfortunately, I don't agree with Tex. Monthly's rating. I have now eaten in all but Smitty's (on the "to do" list, won't be long) of the top 5 since this thread started a couple of years back and I don't rate Snow's at the top. They use basically the "standard" central Texas rub of salt and cracked peppers but simply don't do it as well as Mueller's, for one example. At any rate, they absolutely produce a very superior Q, just not as superior as their reputation deserves IMO. I'd rank the brisket first, good flavor, tender, nice smoke lines with the rub giving it a solid plus to the Q smoke. Second would be a close call between the pork and the ribs. Since I don't always get pork, even when available, it is hard for me to rank it second, but I do and give it a slight edge to the ribs. Both are significantly behind the quality of the brisket IMO. The sausage was ordinary at best. Not particularly smoked and definitely not particularly spicy. None of the above sent me into the orgasms of Q shivers when one realizes that Q nirvana is an achievable moment. The ladies inside were very friendly and pleasant. Unusual for a Q joint, the slicing was done with an electric knife. No big deal, but as a knife nut I prefer real steel. There were Snow's T shirts and caps for sale. In retrospect I wish I had bought one, since I doubt I will be back and it is such a well known name to Q cognescenti. Nice people, very good Q, but worth the drive out of the way? Not to me. Don't get me wrong, if you are near there on a Sat morning, it is very fine Q and worth the visit, but since there are numerous other Q joints, a few definitely superior IMO, that are easier to find, open with more user friendly hours, and more likely to be on the average traveler's route, I wouldn't go out of my way for Snow's. I went with an open mind and palate, really wanting to believe, but, alas, fairy tales don't always come true.

Opps. left out the sauce, which, because of the quantity of meat I bought was delivered in a recycled 12 oz water bottle, and is quite ordinary, tomato based and nothing extra. Not a negative, but added nothing to the meat IMO. Worth skipping, in fact.

Snow's, second time around. My original review above was posted August 26, 2012. Little has changed from the above description, except that Adam is going to graduate from UT this spring, Snow's is still open only on Saturdays from 8 until the meat runs out. Currently ranked as one of the top 4 in the state by Texas Monthly with a 4.75, tied with Pecan Lodge and Louie Mueller's at that level, with Franklin's being alone at a 5.0. FWIW, Again, I would disagree, and, of those 4, I would put Pecan Lodge at number 1, followed by Franklin's and Snow's, with Mueller's a fairly distant 4th. Mueller's has gone downhill in the last couple of years IMO.My overall rating 4.5, really good, but not up to the best anymore IMO

Without giving the history again, Tootsie the pitmaster is now 80 years old and apparently still going strong. Congratulations to anyone who can do what she does at any age, which is producing commercial quantities of really fine Q, a tough job for anyone, much less someone in her 80's.

We had scheduled to meet at 9:30, which I hoped would be early enough to avoid a line. WRONG!

My buddy from Ft. Worth arrived about 9:00 and he and his daughter got in line. I added to our group about 9:15 and we were joined by an old friend of both of us and his wife plus my son and his girlfriend, a total of seven Q hungry people.

I didn't count, but I think there were about 40 or so people in front of us in line. The line moved slowly and it took nearly and hour for us to get inside and order. We ordered 4 pounds of brisket, 4 pounds of ribs, a pound each of their jalapeno and original sausage, and a couple of pounds of the pork steak, which was highly recommended by one of the gracious ladies in the serving line. We also ordered some potato salad, which wasn't a big hit with our crowd, but I didn't try any and a banana pudding, which was said to be very good. We sat at one of the long tables inside. It was a tight fit, but we made it work.

We didn't really take a vote, but I thought the brisket was a very slight tad better than the ribs, a really fine product, as were the ribs. Sausage was, as last time, okay, but nothing to write home about. The star was the pork steak, which was finished with cracked pepper and salt. REALLY FINE eating.

They had 2 sauces on the table, one which was tomato based, somewhat spicy and pretty ordinary. The second was "Hot" and, for a change, it really did have a bit of heat to it. I really liked the hot one.

*** Three Stars, but there are several places in Austin that are just as good or better and you can avoid the drive to Lexington, which is right plumb smack in the middle of nowhere. Very fine eating but it is up to the individual to decide if it is worth the early drive on a Saturday morning. I'd go back in a heartbeat IF I had some reason to be in the area on a Saturday morning, I just can't think of what that would be. If I was going to go again, I'd be sure to arrive at about 8 when they open.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Original review posted July 25, 2009
quote:
18) Whup's Boomerang Bar-B-Q, 1203 S. Bennet, Marlin, Tx (S. Bennet is not particularly easy to find, it is somewhat SE of the town sq, running N and S) (Tx Monthly Top 50 rating 4.25)my overall rating A---

Whup's is a classic Q joint, small place in kind of run down neighborhood.....I wouldn't want to be walking my dog here after dark, unless it is a real BAD dog......as evidenced by the Maximum Security cage that enclosed the cola machine on the front porch. No inside seating, 4 tables on covered porch, had a large fan running while I was there, hot air but the movement made it bearable. Family run, Bennie Washington is owner, he was out back cooking Q and wife and grown daughter were selling out front window. Friendly folks but didn't talk to Mr. Washington, it was hot, and he was cooking. Piles of oak and mesquite attest to his choice of smokes. I ordered a lamb sandwich, since that is a rare item for most Q joints that I visit and a pound of sliced brisket and a pound of ribs. Lamb sandwich was made of lamb ribs, mostly with bone in, their Q sauce and dill pickles and onions (optional). Smoked lamb was quite taste with the fatty content which makes lamb ribs so good. Ribs were dead tender with good smoke color and look. Very good to excellent. Brisket had good smoke line, about 3/8 inch, and char, tender and good as well, probably a shade below ribs in quality. All the meats seem to be allowing the meat and smoke to do their talking, they had little if any real rub. This seems to be a trend I am detecting as I get closer to Central Texas. I'm not particularly fond of it, I think the rub/baste (if any) is what makes the best Q, the BEST. People can agree or disagree about this, I like plain steak most of the time, but every now and then I like it spiced up before cooking or use some steak sauce. All that said, this meat was well smoked with a fairly heavy mesquite flavor, which a little can go a long ways in my opinion but just enough to not be too much. Sauce was homemade, tomato based with a bit of garlic and various blended spices, with no strong overtones. Good but not great. This place is off the beaten path, even if you are in Marlin, but it is well worth a visit.

My original plan, after eating at Snow's above was to drive South to Lockhart and to try for the first time Smitty's, and to re-try Kruez's, but after the good times and great Q of Snow's, I decided that adding about 140 miles to my trip was too much sugar for a dime, so I turned N and taking a rather winding way home on a beautiful day for driving, I decided to go by......

Whup's Boomerang Bar-B-Q, as above since I hadn't been there in nearly 6 years. Same as above, the neighborhood is seriously economically deprived and is not a place to be alone after dark IMO, or, for that matter, with friends, unless they're big and well armed. Unfortunately, the general quality of the meats is not up to my previous visit. My overall rating 3.75 I should point out that the above Texas Monthly rating of 4.25 was from the 2008 ratings, Whup's made the latest TM "Top 50" in 2013, but the score was lowered to 4.0.

I ordered a pound of brisket, a pound of sausage, and a slab of pork ribs, which was a bargain, getting about 3 pounds of ribs for $22.00.

My order was taken by Mr. Washington's son, a friendly guy and, really, I'd like to give them a higher rating, but the meat is what it is. Whup's no longer cooks lamb, more's the pity. He told me the prices kept going up and there just wasn't enough demand for it to keep cooking it. I really understand, prices on lambs have gone up and his base of customers are not likely to be lamb eaters.

At any rate, the brisket was good and smoky, a bit better than average, but not quite as tender as I'd like it to be. Perhaps higher heat cooking? I dunno. Ribs were good as well, but again, not as tender as I'd prefer. But still both were solid decent Q. I don't know why the quality has declined, but it has, and, while still good Q, not nearly as good as the last time I visited. It is certainly possible that in the ensuing years, my Q tastes have gotten more refined.

Sausage was fair. I'm not sure if it was homemade, but I doubt it. Not bad, just not really good.

Sauce again, was tomato based, somewhat thin, slighlty sweet, with pieces of garlic mixed in. Interesting but not for my tastes.

** Two Stars, not bad, but really no longer worth the side trip.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Keep those reports coming Gato. We had 4 new Q joints pop up in the last half dozen years. All started out worth a 9 out of ten rating overall and then dropped to anywhere from 3 to 7.5 after a few years. The one that hurt the most (biggest drop in quality) went from fresh smoked meats daily using split hickory to Kingsford charcoal cooked meat that was only made every few days. The last ribs were nearly inedible. By the way , on our trip to Dallas in January I tracked down that place I had mentioned in Dallas. It WAS in the lower level at 1201 Main called One Main Place. Too bad it's gone.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It WAS in the lower level at 1201 Main called One Main Place. Too bad it's gone.

A bit of web research indicates that it was probably Colter's (sometimes referred to as Colt's). They had at least 5 locations, now down to 3 and, as you found out, the downtown one is gone. Based on the lack of favorable mentions on the many Q sources I review, I doubt I will be trying it in the future. I've already got on my short list in the DFW area, Off the Bone, 18th and Vine, Heim's (after they have been open in their new location for a few weeks, supposed to open 3/4 or thereabouts), Cattleack, and Smoke. Geesh, maybe I should start a Fund Me page? Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Could have been Colter's I guess. It was a mom & pop operation. The guy (in his upper 60's, maybe 70's) was born in Korea. Keep them reports coming and if you ever find yourself close to Harrisburg, let me know. You would like the brisket at Road Hawg up in Duncannon, 30 minutes north of the burg.

Posts: 5100 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty good brisket a Munday's Corner near Nanty Glo on the way to Ebensburg. Pretty good neighbor hood bar across the street called The Big Stone Inn

Posts: 117 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 19 April 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Might check it out some day cooksey. We're heading to Road Hawg just off Route 15 on Main St. Duncannon tomorrow morning.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim Goode, the founder of the Goode Company Barbeque and seafood restaurants in Houston died last week. His obituary told a story of a very interesting man. According to the obituary, he purchased the original Goode Company BBQ restaurant on Kirby for $6,000 in the late 70's.

Posts: 10007 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Road Hawg was closed until sometime in March. So, we stopped by Skeeters where 11 and 15 north split at the Susquehanna River. Brisket and pulled pork were both about a 7 of 10, not smoky enough and no smoke ring, still decent. The Wife was happy they didn't include any fat cap. Real nice view of the river, sits on a hill.
quote:
Originally posted by cooksey:
Pretty good brisket a Munday's Corner near Nanty Glo on the way to Ebensburg. Pretty good neighbor hood bar across the street called The Big Stone Inn