THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Best Damn BBQ joints in Texas or anywhere.......
Page 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Damn BBQ joints in Texas or anywhere....... Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Randy's kind generosity, I have a jug of Smokey Moe's Hot that I add to my beans -- using Randy's recipe. Best dang BBQ side in the world.
Sorry about the poor quality meat at Fatboy's, Ken. I'm not a fan of point-cut brisket either. Thanks for the review, and keeping Gato's epic thread fresh.

beer

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
randy, what about that place i austin where that guy sells out of his portable cooker and people stand in line for hours? heard it burned down last year and he rebuilt or something. is he still around? liberty hill....5000 new homeowners between april and july this year.

Posts: 1529 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
John, That would be Franklin's BBQ. My son will go there upon occasion but I won't wait in line for an hour; it's good but not that good. I'm not sure if they burnt down or not. I know that Sambet's (a cajun restaurant + sauce store) did + they did not rebuild; mores the pity, they had a great lunch deli line. And yes to your query about the population increase, it's disgusting. There is already talk of another new high school; more taxes, etc. But just like the last one only a few years ago at the cost of $80 Million the 1st things to get the money were a new football stadium + weight room for the jocks + administrative raises + when the smoke cleared all the money was gone + the kids had no lockers. I have a real problem being forced to finance this lunacy. The cost should be absorbed by the realtors as they are the only ones benifiting from this.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On to a more safe subject. Now over in Taylor, there is Louie Millers BBQ. When he does catered events he has a completely restored 57 Belair, no motor, that's where the fire pit is + the cooking pit is the trunk with pipes running under the chassis to direct the heat. They just tow it to a function. Pretty neat idea.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill let me know when you start to run low on the Smokey Mos sauce + I'll send you another bottle. It does make a pot of beans something special.

posted Hide Post
Are there any recommendations for barbecue in San Antonio or vicinity?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thanks so much, Randy. I still owe you for the first bottle.
Speaking of standing in line, we have a guy near here in the mountain resort of Cloudcroft, NM, who runs Mad Jack's Mountaintop Barbecue. People will stand in line for more than an hour for his Q. Story is that he did very well with a barbecue trailer in Lockhart, Texas, for many years, and retired to Cloudcroft. Wanting something to do, he opened a pit here -- and travels to Texas for loads of post oak for his fire. We have a lot of folks from Texas who visit our area and they swear this Q is as good or better than anything they have had in Austin. I guess I need to stand in line soon.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
u go up the mountain from alamogordo and just as u enter cloudcroft u take a right and up to THE LODGE and instead of going into their parking lot u take a right for about a block until u see a blue fire hydrant on the right (used to be there anyways) and take a left on that road for about 50 feet and it dead ends into a T. there on the right is a cabin my family owned for years and years. was our jumping point to go hunting in WEED. cloudcroft is the only place on my bucket list to visit before i croak.

Posts: 1529 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are hitting close to home John. I hunted mule deer south of Weed for probably ten years (1963-1973). We hunted Perk Canyon, Bluewater Canyon, and my personal favorite Salt Rock Canyon. That was before everyone had a 4-wheel drive and would drive right through the middle of some of the best mule deer hunting in the southern half of the State to get to the top of every mountain. We stopped hunting it when we found a bunch of fools at the top of Salt Rock Canyon setting up cardboard boxes, sighting-in their deer rifles the day before the season opened. When the number of dumb-asses started outnumbering hunters, I stopped hunting public lands.

Posts: 13749 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True that. In as much as I support our hunting + firearms rights (I will mumble this here) there are a lot of idiots that have no business being armed + it reflects badly on all of the rest of us. I do NOT hunt public land for that very reason. Besides I always wanted my own lease + until recently I could always afford it. Anymore I get more pleasure out of being in the loading room working up loads than it the field actually shooting. Times change + us with them.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
True that. In as much as I support our hunting + firearms rights (I will mumble this here) there are a lot of idiots that have no business being armed + it reflects badly on all of the rest of us. I do NOT hunt public land for that very reason. Besides I always wanted my own lease + until recently I could always afford it. Anymore I get more pleasure out of being in the loading room working up loads than it the field actually shooting. Times change + us with them.

I agree. The CHL class (now LTC) was an absolute joke. So much so that a guy with a Wilson or Baer who arrived in a fancy Porsche needed help loading it and still qualified.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3426 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
John, Ken, my ancestors built a cabin in Perk Canyon in 1886, as they were running stock in the next canyon north of Agua Chiquita and south of Pepper Canyon. It is called Wayland Canyon to this day. They traded the cabin for milled lumber and built the first frame house in La Luz in 1889, so the little ones could get to school easier. Funny how we all have this little node of connection to the land up there.
John, I will look for that house when in Cloudcroft this weekend.

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
You are hitting close to home John. I hunted mule deer south of Weed for probably ten years (1963-1973). We hunted Perk Canyon, Bluewater Canyon, and my personal favorite Salt Rock Canyon. That was before everyone had a 4-wheel drive and would drive right through the middle of some of the best mule deer hunting in the southern half of the State to get to the top of every mountain. We stopped hunting it when we found a bunch of fools at the top of Salt Rock Canyon setting up cardboard boxes, sighting-in their deer rifles the day before the season opened. When the number of dumb-asses started outnumbering hunters, I stopped hunting public lands.

we hunted at a private ranch in weed and sometimes stayed in the ranch house maybe 200 yds from the road that passed by it. one day about noon i had come back to eat and rest my aching feet and heard a shot and there was a truck with the bed full of people parked on the road by the fence and a guy was dragging a dead deer out from the pasture as fast as he could, got in my 61 willys and beat him back to the truck. to my shame it had texas plates on it. i held them there till i could get my brother there and went back to the house and called the ranch owner but he refused to file on em for poaching, roadhunting, trespassing etc. was just a "silly little ole deer". i wrote down the plate# and told em i now knew where to find em if i wanted to. burned my ass to have to let em go. course there was no cell phones etc in the day for me to call the law on my own.

one of us
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite mule deer hunt memories was the time we camped in Perk Canyon. We were staying in my brother-in-law's, father's, trailer. I was sixteen and had bought a used Ruger Blackhawk in .41 Mag. This was the first time I ever took a pistol on a deer hunt.

We were a group of ten. The men called all the shots, so we hunted Bluewater that first morning. Me carrying my Remington Model 600 in .308. I don't remember anyone in our group killing a deer, but two men killed a very good buck near us. They were from Houston. Neither of them had packed a knife. One of our guys cleaned their buck for them.

We went back to camp for lunch and the men said they were going to take a nap and then go back out in the evening. I couldn't stand the thought of just sitting around.

I left the .308 behind the door, strapped on the .41 Mag. and climbed the hill behind the trailer. I was walking the crest looking down into the trees when I saw a buck and a doe broadside at about 50 yards. I aimed at the bucks shoulder, and pulled off a round. They of course turned and bolted down through the trees.

I collected myself and moved quickly towards where the buck had stood. Nothing there, and nothing moved. I eased along into the snow that was in the shade of the trees and followed some tracks; didn't know whose. I finally just felt little hope and stood there in the snow for a minute, then looked down and saw two very small drops of blood by my boot. I moved quietly and found one more about six feet away. While I stood there, about twenty-five yards below me on the mountain I saw a rack move. My buck was lying behind a log and raising his head just enough to see over the log. My heart was pounding. I froze and he laid his head back down. That action repeated itself a number of times. Even I knew at sixteen that if I was hunting and an animal was close, don't make the first mistake, make him make that mistake.

I was hoping he would die, but he kept slowly raising his head exactly to eye level to look at me, then lowering it. His tail was flicking at the end of the log.

After about ten minutes of this, I convinced myself that he was probably too weak to get up, and if I could just move to my left, towards his rear, I might be able to finish this stand-off. I cocked the hammer as quietly as I could, then took a step to my left. What I hadn't seen was a limb under the snow, and it snapped as my weight got on it. The buck was up in a flash and took one big bounce down the mountain as I brought the Ruger up, and fired. To my shock the buck did a flip forward down the mountain and slid to a stop, the bullet having struck him square in the back of the head. I was speechless. I was so happy I could have screamed.

I field-dressed him, left an orange glove on his rack, and climbed off the mountain. When I reached the road I could still see that dot of orange, thank God. I piled some rocks on the road and started the hike back to camp. Reliving what had just happened, I felt like I grew taller as I walked.

When I finally walked into camp I could see everyone else was loaded up to go back out hunting. One of the asshole friends of my brother-in-law jumped all over me about holding them up. My brother-in-law's father stopped him and asked me what I was doing. I told him, "hunting and I got one". His response was, "One what?". I told him, "A buck, with my pistol". The place went berserk. The asshole told my BIL that it wasn't possible. My BIL's father said, "he doesn't have a rifle.....where's your rifle?" I told him behind the door in the trailer. "Where's the buck?" I told him how I had him marked.

Everyone loaded up to go find the buck the kid had shot with a pistol. Talk about proud. I was. I had all the help I needed getting my buck off the mountain.

At camp, we hung my buck, they all went back out hunting, and I sat around a fire with my feet up. I could not stop grinning as I recall.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats a great story! shoulda hung the asshole up next to the deer!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kinda reminds me of the story about the 2 guys out hunting. One shoots this great buck + while they are dragging it back to camp the other falls over with a heart attack. Eventually, the 1st guy makes it into camp + tells everybody that we need to get the vehicle + go back for the buddy. They asked him why in the hell did you bring the dead deer back + leave our dead buddy on the trail? He said Nobody was gonna steal our buddy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
talk about hunting on public lands.....at that same ranch in weed there was a huge pasture in front of the house the far side of which butted up against a steep mountain. about 3/4 up the mountain was a barb wire fence which was one of the boundaries. other side was public land. i would get up way before dawn and eat something and drink too much coffee then hike up to the fence line in the dark and wait for false dawn maybe thirty minutes to an hour away. one day after it was good light i was scoping out things and had to go bad. right then. so i just dropped trow and deposited a load on the ground, and realized i forgot to bring paper towels, again. so i cut of a section of shirttail and used it. i started to walk away as it was rank and heard something and looked up hill and saw a young couple maybe 20 yds away looking at me with big grins. i wanted to say something but was too embarrassed. seems like every hunt i'd come home with a collection of shirts with no tails and i'd have me a rag collection i used for cleaning bbls with for a long time. my cousins husband always went with us and said always use the back part of the shirttail as it was used to the view anyway. everyones a comedian.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In memory of Charlie, God Bless him, I will put this to the top again. I will also add that once again "Smokey Moe's BBQ" is top + center here in central Tx. Only my opinion... + several million others.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, if I am ever anywhere in the vicinity, I'll treat you at Smokey Moe's and we can hoist a mug of root beer in Charlie's memory.

Cool

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good Amigo!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, that took me on a trip down memory lane concerning a mug of root beer. We used to have root beer palaces all over back in the '50s + early '60s. I haven't thought about that in ages. My Grandfather would take me when I was young + we would have a root beer in a frosty mug. sometimes a float. Glad you mentioned it, it brought back some memories of a kinder,better time.

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Big O's BBQ in Valera, Tx. Top 3 best I've ever had. People travel hours away to pick it up on their way elsewhere (since Valera is such a small town)

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Bugle, I have been near, but not in Valera, but will sure try to stop if I am ever back in that Hill Country.
Randy, out West we had a lot A&W Root Beer burger joints. They made some darned good hamburgers and onion rings, and served their root beer in heavy glass mugs, frosted. At many of the drive-ins, the carhops were on roller skates, and brought the stuff on a big tray that fit on Dad's window. They made change with those change machines on their belts. I always wanted one!

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
we had an A&W root beer place about a quarter mile from the house in the 60s. the owners daughter sat next to me in high school and helped me by whispering the answers to me and letting me see her paper when taking tests. even dated her a few times. always wanted to my hands on her big old root beer jugs. lord knows i tried. and was always trying to finagle a free burger and drink and fries as she and her sister worked at the "stand". never happened either way. dammit! she married a good friend. he became a lawyer. she sure traded up! or down depending on how u looked at it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My last A&W Root Beer visit was in Las Cruces, New Mexico, probably 50 years ago. The company didn't do a very good job of business development, and seemed to wither and die for the most part. Then lo and behold I went to work in Doha, Qatar in 1989 and there it was, A&W Root Beer. Stopped in once, didn't feel the same magic, and never returned.

They had the brand, the name recognition way back when. Competed with Dairy Queen a lot in small towns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stopped in at a sonic the other day + the kids were on roller skates as well. I was buying Linda a chocolate shake + this kid was moving a little too fast on his skates, hit my driver's side door + dumped the shake in my lap. I knew it was an accident so I wasn't pissed; besides nothing I could have said would have made him feel any worse than he already did. I did get another FREE shake out of the deal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone remember the Orange Julius drink dives? I haven't seen any since the mid-70s.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The other one I remember was Tastee Freez. Still around apparently. https://www.tastee-freez.com/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen a Tastee Freeze in ages. I remember in the early 70s (you wouldn't believe it now) that in Georgetown on the weekends the only place the kids had to meet up was the Dairy Queen on HWY. 29.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This week was one year since Gato's death. Seems longer than that.

I was in Marseille, France two weeks ago. In the Vieux Port area, across from the Grand Hotel Beauvau. I smelled something familiar and wandered towards a large crowd and loud music. Believe it or not, it was a BBQ festival & cooking contest. The sponsor was none other than Weber. There were about twenty-five Weber kettle grills set up in a secured area, and people were chopping vegetables and prepping meat. I thought Gato would have enjoyed knowing that barbecue is alive and well, and in some unexpected places.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're right Ken, it doesn't seem like a year.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Went hog hunting this last weekend. My tradition is that I always stop at Scholl Bros. BBQ http://www.schollbrosbbq.net/ in Paris on the way up. I first decided to skip it, but then changed my mind. I've done it every time since the first time, and I'm not stopping now.

I got the two meat plate; brisket and ribs. The brisket was excellent. They asked if I wanted any fat on it, and that sounded good. It wasn't fatty throughout like a standard Point. It was more like a Flat, with fat about the width of a good smoke ring on one edge. It was strange, but very good.

The star however were the ribs. I've never seen so much meat on a rib; top and bottom. There was so much meat that the girl behind the counter doing the cutting mentioned that she had trouble finding the bone, and she was a pro with a knife.

The ribs were done to perfection. The meat didn't fall off the bone, but if you bit it, it surrendered with little effort. I sat there trying to remember when, or if, I had had better ribs before, and I couldn't come up with a better rib experience, to be honest. (I have had ribs before at Scholl's and they weren't near this good.)

The potato salad and Coleslaw were Plain Jane, and I will skip them the next time and go back to pinto beans & Mexican corn. The iced tea was typical of Texas, very good, and I like it sweet.

If you are in the Paris, Texas area around eaten time, stop in. The staff are very friendly, and it will be worth your time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't generally get down that way but I'll keep it in mind. If you get up this way check out Smokey Moes BBQ.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wait a minute. "Down that way"??? Paris is UP from Austin. "If you get UP this way..." Austin is down from north Texas. You'll have me all turned around.

In fact I am going to be DOWN your way maybe in a month. I'll give it a thought. That Mo's at Round Rock might not be that far off track.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Wait a minute. "Down that way"??? Paris is UP from Austin. "If you get UP this way..." Austin is down from north Texas. You'll have me all turned around.

In fact I am going to be DOWN your way maybe in a month. I'll give it a thought. That Mo's at Round Rock might not be that far off track.

I was thinking the same!

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3426 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents, it's just a figure of speech. Even when my ex-mother in law was still alive we would go down to Dallas to visit.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also, I have not been to the Round Rock one but the Georgetown one in Wolf Ranch shopping center is right there on I35 + they have good Q.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Gents, it's just a figure of speech. Even when my ex-mother in law was still alive we would go down to Dallas to visit.

yea, "come on down" or "going on down to...." is a common phrase. even as in " going on down to walmart you need anything" we still say today.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Haven't gotten south yet, but I was at Hard Eight Pit BBQ in Coppell for lunch today. Gotta say, I'm not too impressed this time. I had the "sliced" brisket and ribs. I put the word sliced in quotes because basically, it just looked like a pile of shredded brisket. There was nothing remotely resembling a slice. It was tasty enough, but just a pile of meat. I think they might have over-cooked it and it fell apart. The reason I think that is because the ribs were over-cooked. Again, they were tasty enough, but if you picked-up a bone, the meat didn't come with it. Actually, I did pick up one bone and the meat came with it, but I shook the bone, and the meat fell back onto the plate.

Their BBQ sauce was nice.

The other objection I have to their operation is that they nickel & dime you. You want potato salad; $2.00 please. You want Cole slaw; $2.00 please. You want pinto beans? The pinto beans are free if you eat there.....but, the pinto beans aren't in the serving line, so you can't really tell whether they have pinto beans or not. That probably helps them to not give away too much free pinto beans.

I won't be back.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't blame you. I really dislike poor business practices. I have always felt that the golden rule applies in every sense + business. If I am treated like I would treat others I would be back + give them all my business. I have a lawyer cousin that lives in Coppell but now I know where not to eat.