THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Best Damn BBQ joints in Texas or anywhere.......
Page 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... 29

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Damn BBQ joints in Texas or anywhere....... Login/Join 
one of us
posted Hide Post
Camp Brisket at Texas A&M.

http://www.guidelive.com/food-...et-in-texas-barbecue

Sounds like it would be time well spent.

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good article and here is more on brisket cooking via Camp Brisket from the same source:

quote:
11 brisket secrets for at-home barbecue enthusiasts
Feb. 24, 2016 4:58pm
Sarah Blaskovich

This is not a brisket recipe.
You can find thousands of those online and in cookbooks, and each of them will give you guidelines as to how to spend a dozen or so hours smoking a fatty hunk of meat.
Instead, these are brisket tips from some of the Lone Star State's most knowledgeable brisket cookers. They shared their secrets during Camp Brisket, a two-day intensive workshop for 60 beef-obsessed people.

You are not going to be a brisket master on the first try.
“The barbecue tradition is taking meat and making it delicious through a time-consuming process,” says Texas food writer Robb Walsh. But because factors such as outdoor temperature, wind and fire can be so volatile, smoking brisket takes time. Be patient as you learn your pit and the science of barbecue.

Know your wood.
Texas barbecue experts disagree on which wood smokes brisket best. Popular options are post oak, mesquite, hickory and pecan, and Camp Brisket lets attendees taste briskets smoked with each. Wood does make a difference in how your brisket will taste, so experiment with them. Ask your favorite pitmasters what they use, too.

Fat is a good thing. But you’ll need to trim some of it off.
Aaron Franklin of Franklin Barbecue in Austin recommends cutting off as much as 30 percent of the entire weight of the brisket. “Good fat is flavor,” Franklin explains. Good fat will keep a brisket moist while it cooks. “But bad fat: That’s bad fat.” And it has to go.
Your mission while trimming off fat is to make the fat layer even, about 1/4-inch thick. If you’re at a barbecue joint, a good bite of brisket should include some rendered fat. When you order, ask for “moist” slices and you’ll get the pitmaster’s best.

Start with salt and pepper for your rub.
Central Texas barbecue purists believe only salt and pepper should be used in your brisket rub, says Texas meat writer Jess Pryles. Some restaurants add paprika or chili powder and swear by it. Try smoking a few briskets with salt and pepper first if you’re a card-carrying Central Texan.

It’s easier to make a fire hotter than to cool it off.
Much of the secret to smoking brisket is keeping a consistent temperature for many hours while it cooks. Managing your flame is the key. Pitmasters suggest easing into your fire; you can always stoke it to spike the temperature. It’s much harder to bring a raging fire’s temperature down. A finished brisket should have an internal temperature somewhere between 195 and 215 F, depending on its size.
Track your results each time you smoke a brisket.

Every pitmaster at Camp Brisket has kept notes of how they succeeded and failed smoking briskets at differing temperatures, at various lengths of time and with varieties of wood. Learn from your mistakes; it’s part of the fun.
You will not be excommunicated from the barbecue fraternity if you use a temperature probe. Restaurants use these all the time!
Best bet might be to leave a probe in your brisket so you can check temperatures without continually opening the pit. Speaking of …

Don’t open another man’s (or woman’s) pit.
Aaron Franklin of Franklin Barbecue peeks inside his pit. He does this a lot, but he's a pro. Don't do it too much or your briskets will never cook.

This is where things get personal: Your barbecue pit is your business. You’ve been tending to that fire and saying prayers to the barbecue gods since the middle of the night, most likely. The worst thing someone could do is walk up and open the lid, messing with that temperature you’re trying to keep consistent, says Jeff Savell, meat science professor at Texas A&M.

To wrap or not to wrap?
That’s a big question. Pitmasters disagree on whether a brisket should be wrapped in peach paper -- a pinkish-brown kind of butcher paper -- or whether it should continue to smoke unwrapped. The potential advantage of wrapping a brisket about 3/4 through the total smoking time is it locks in the moisture and helps keep the temperature consistent for the remainder of the cook. Those who don’t wrap say it doesn’t make a difference in the end.
If you do choose to wrap, using aluminum foil at home is a good Plan B if Amazon.com can’t bring you peach paper in time. (Those in the know call wrapping in foil the “Texas crutch.”) New pitmasters might want to try both methods and record the results.

Let your brisket rest.
So your brisket has smoked for many hours, it’s developed a nice pepper crust we call bark, and it’s time to come out of the smoker. Time to eat, right? No way. Let that piece of meat rest for as short as an hour, as long as a few. Home cooks can put their brisket in a cooler and close the lid. Franklin keeps his briskets in a warmer at a resting temperature of 137.5 F. You probably can’t keep it at that kind of specific temperature, so do your best to aim for 140 F or so.

Don’t slice your brisket until you’re ready to eat it.
Sliced brisket deteriorates with every passing second. So don’t lose too much time Instagramming your perfect piece; it’s time to eat! To test whether you’ve smoked it according to Central Texas barbecue standards, slice a piece the width of a No. 2 pencil and hold it up. It shouldn’t fall apart but should separate easily if you pull it, says Franklin.

Texas brisket shouldn’t need sauce, but don’t let that stop you.
Central Texas pitmasters generally like to let the flavor of the meat shine, and a sugary or vinegary sauce can mask that flavor. But here’s the reality: You might like sauce. You also might’ve overcooked your brisket and sauce might add some extra moisture. Don’t let the apparent rules of Central Texas barbecue change the way you like to eat.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We stopped by Hammond's BBQ in Glen Rose, Texas yesterday afternoon. The place had a nice Texas vibe working for it; picnic tables inside and plenty of stuff to look at on the walls. It looked smaller than it was from the outside. The parking lot is small, but they have plenty of seating room inside. The bathrooms were clean, but no soap. The people working at Hammond's were very nice and helpful.

I guess there is nothing else to describe now except the food. Too bad.

I ordered the two meat plate; brisket and hot link. You get two Sides. I picked onion rings and pinto beans. The waitress asked me whether I wanted my brisket sliced or chopped. I said "sliced". I got "chopped"...........apparently served from an ice cream scoop. The taste was very good, it just wasn't what I ordered and didn't look good on the plate. Food delivery was very fast, but the plate wasn't "presented" well. Everything was piled together.

The hot link tasted "old". I thought I was using the wrong side of the knife when I tried to cut it in smaller pieces.

The Sides were disappointing. The onion rings had a funky flavor. Something coming from the oil it was deep-fried in I guess. The pinto beans were nothing special. I tried to jazz them up with BBQ sauce and the chopped brisket, to no avail.

Some might have found the BBQ sauce nice, but it was too vinegary for my taste. It was the right thickness, I just can't enjoy barbeque sauce if I can't unpucker.

There was another barbeque place about 200 yards down the road. I think I might try it next if I was stuck in Glen Rose and hungry......or maybe the Mexican food at Los Primos or Chachis would be a better bet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The local HS Softball team is in a tournament starting yesterday in Big Sandy, Tx. I've driven thru there many times on way to Tyler, but had never really paid much attention. It is a typical Texas small town, similar to the one we call home, but with nothing to distinguish it from many others, and by E. Texas standards, kind of in the middle of nowhere. But it was a nice sunny day, albeit a bit windy and chilly, 60 degrees, so my lovely wife and I decided to drive down and watch our daughter and the team play. Between games, for lunch, we drove back to......

#98) Longhorn Smokehouse 10191 TX-155, Big Sandy, TX 75755[/b] Located outside of Big Sandy and really in the middle of nowhere about 4 miles East of Big Sandy, which puts it about 12 miles SW of Gilmer on Hwy 155. Based on it's location I had some expectation that it might be a jewel in the wilderness, because I thought that if a joint could survive in this spot, it had to be really good. Unfortunately it turned out to be a lower grade CZ, not a diamond in the rough. My overall grade 2.5

No use in dragging this out, joint also serves steaks (said to be good on net speak), hamburgers, etc. but I repeat my admonition that "net speak" reviews on yelp, etc are very often misleading, especially, it seems to me, when it comes to Q joints. Almost all of them seem to have "best brisket ever", etc when the reality is often quite the opposite.

We ordered a pound of brisket, a slab of ribs, and a side of hot corn nuggets, served with ranch dressing, the National dressing of Texas along with a couple of ice teas, which were serve yourself, typical of most joints.

I'm not sure how they do this, but my wife and I both thought the ribs and brisket were not true Q, in the sense that they both seemed like they were wrapped or boiled or something before or, more likely, after exposure to smoke. Don't misunderstand, they were edible, just not exactly right.

Brisket was flat end of brisket, which didn't help, but it was crumbly without being really overcooked, very similar to the brisket at Outlaw's in Daingerfield, which is about 40 miles away. Edible, but below average IMO.

Ribs were similar, fairly tender but not typical pit taste. Again, ok but aspiring to average.

Average in Texas ain't bad, but that's about the best that could be said for this Q.

Hot corn nuggets had a bit of red pepper in them, made for a nice change dipped in ranch. Tasty bites.

By FAR, the star of this location is the barbecue sauce, very thin, brownish, with some spice and pepper bite. I really liked it. This sauce is far better than most of the "name" sauces which are being sold to an unsuspecting public in grocery stores.

** Two Stars. Really leaning towards one but the second star is mostly because of it's location, if you desperate for Q and here, this is about your only choice and it won't kill you. Going South I'd try to hold out for Tyler and Stanley's or 12 miles NE there are a couple of unreviewed joints in Gilmer which hold promise.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My daughter's softball team had more games to play on Saturday, so we trekked off to the very small town of Union Grove, pop. 354, to watch them play a couple of more. During the time between games, we drove back N about 12 miles or so to Gilmer which I mentioned in the above review. Net speak said there were 3 joints in Gilmer, Tuel's, a Bodacious, and Dubya's.

We first followed the large billboard advertising Tuel's, which is about 4 mi W of Gilmer on Hwy 154. Alas, Tuel's is permanently closed, whether a victim of location or food we'll never know.

So, returning to Gilmer, we went a few blocks North of town center to pass the second known Q joint, a Bodacious, which used to be part of a chain, but am not sure of current status of chain/franchise, with each individual location having it's own pitmaster so really, all they shared was a general philosophy of Qing and the sauce, which, I believe was made and distributed from parent location in Longview. A few are good, most are fair, and a couple are less than that. BTW the current Bodacious, on 6th St in Longview is getting good reviews, after having been closed for a year or two. I reviewed it early on, prior to closing and it was quite good at that time. All that said, this was lunch hour, and there was one lone car in front of Bodacious-Gilmer. I elected to pass on this Bodacious for now, and drove a couple of hundred yards to turn right off of 279 onto Old Coffeeville Rd to.......

#99) Dubya's Smokehouse, 102 Old Coffeeville Rd., Gilmer, Texas This is about 100 yards E of 279, kind of obscured by a used car lot. My overall rating 2.75

There were a few cars parked in front with a steady flow of customers while we were there. We walked in to find a couple of friendly young men serving. I asked if their sausages were homemade and they said no. They also, which is fairly rare in Tx Q joints, offered smoked boudin, a rice, pork, and spices filled sausage. I knew it was commercial, but because we both really like it, we ordered a pound of boudin, a pound of brisket, and a slab of ribs. The boudin, at $15 a pound is somewhat overpriced IMO. The brisket at the same level was slightly below the current average price, and the slab of ribs at $19 would have been a real bargain, if the ribs had been worth a damn, they weren't.

Boudin was fair, but enjoyable since the last we had was homemade a year or so back.

Brisket was good, but it was very slightly overcooked, giving it what my wife described as a "mushy" texture. Still, I thought it was decent plus.

The ribs were really poor when regarded as Qed ribs. They tasted like someone had baked them and spread some q sauce on them as an afterthought. They may have been smoked, but if so, they didn't die of smoke inhalation. They were tender and weren't bad as ribs, just not very good as Qed ribs.

They had beer, which is a good thing, but because we were driving and watching softball, we elected to pass.

Sauce was of two types, first was standard slightly sweet tomato based, which I didn't like at all. Second was same but had some pepper and garlic added and was pretty tasty. Above average for the genre.

** Two Stars Stick to the brisket if you go here, unless you're feeding your younger kids pork ribs and they won't know the difference.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brisket Salad:

This is so simple I hesitate to even mention it, but just in case someone hasn't thought of this, I am putting it in here.

As anyone who follows this thread knows I usually buy substantially more brisket/ribs/whatever than I can eat at one sitting.

If it is really good, we usually eat it later at home by just warming it up, sometimes making sandwiches out of it.

However, lately I've had a run of so-so, at best, brisket so we often make a dinner salad out of it.

For those who like quick and easy, just buy a package of whatever kind of salad greens mix you prefer at your local grocery store or Walmart's. Of course, you can chop your own our of lettuce, spinach, and mix in olives, radishes, whatever you prefer out of your fridge.

Then, simply chop the brisket, or if it is crumbly to start with, just crumble it up a bit more (I like it in smaller but decent sized pieces that are smaller than bite sized)and mix an appropriate amount with the salad mix. Add in, to taste, some dressing, ranch, naturally, at our house, but olive oil and balsamic vinegar go well too. Takes all of 3 minutes and voila, a nice dinner, even better with wine and garlic bread.

Smoked brisket often gets better after sitting for a day or two in the fridge, letting the flavors permeate the meat. It usually makes a damn fine salad. Of course, you can use almost any kind of meat you've got left over or laying around, ham, chicken, bacon, steak, etc.

This is my kind of meal, quick and easy, but tastes great. Try it, you'll like it.

Like I said, I'm not trying to teach anyone how to use a fork, I just don't know many people who make this kind of salad.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
TexasLiving this month had a two-page article on Texas barbeque with an emphasis on brisket. The article title; Trails of Smoke and Brisket.

They list eighteen places they perceive as some of the best. The BBQ icons are listed, but also some that are out-of-the-way, or new to me. Special mention went to Roegel's Barbeque Co. in Houston. Others include:

Pody's in Pecos
Hay Co. Bar-B-Que in San Marcos
Sharon's Barbeque and Catering in Abilene
KD's Bar-B-Q in Midland
Stanley's Famous Pit BBQ in Tyler
Opie's BBQ in Spicewood
Vera's Backyard Bar-B-Que in Brownsville
Vitek's BBQ in Waco

Wherever you are in Texas, you aren't far from a BBQ joint. There are over 60 in Austin alone.

I may be sliding down 35 this weekend. Vitek's is on my hit list.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've only been to two of the ones you listed, Hay's in San Marcos, and Stanley's in Tyler. Neither one is wonderful. Hays is slightly better than average but I wouldn't go back. Stanley's is supposedly famous for their ribs, which I thought were average at best, but their brisket was very good.

I've said this before, but at this time, I don't think you can get any better Q than Pecan Lodge in Dallas. It may be different but it won't be better.

But trying new places is what makes it fun. Let us know what you find out.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stopped by Vitek's in Waco at 12:10pm today. The parking lot was nearly full and I was the last guy in line on the cool side of the door.

They run an efficient operation. I ordered the two meat plate (sliced brisket and jalapeno sausage) with two sides (beans and 3-cheese Mac); sweet tea to drink. The whole thing cost me $15. I consider that a Hell of a deal. By the time I picked-up my plate the line was twice as long as before I got there.

There was plenty of table space inside, and any overflow can be covered outdoors, in back.

The people working there were knowledgeable and very friendly.

The brisket was first-rate, pull-apart-with-your-fingers tender, and if anything, maybe a tad dry, but that's being picky. I loved it.

The jalapeno sausage may not have been what I ordered. The sausage didn't have a jalapeno whang to it, but it was still very good sausage.....and besides they gave me a handful of jalapenos, onions and pickles anyway.

I thought their sauce was very nice. The flavor was subtle, with just the right amount of vinegar. It allowed you to taste the meat.

The Mac-n-Cheese was very good as were the beans. The beans weren't jazzed-up with anything, which I think is a plus. I loved the flavor of their beans. The Mac-n-Cheese might have been a little runny, but I'm tired of three day old Mac-n-Cheese that you can pick-up with your hands and eat like a sandwich.

The tea was very good. Some places serve tea that is too bitter, or jazzed-up with mango or raspberry. This was just good-old Texas iced tea.

The slices of bread were straight out of a Mrs. Baird's bag, but what the Hell, it's bread; and it sopped-up fine.

One thing worth mentioning was that the portions were not stingy at all. For $15 I got a wad of food to eat.

I waddled out the door a little before 1:00pm fully satisfied, and at that time the line was down to about eight people.

Rudy's in Waco is better located along the I-35 (northbound) frontage road, but Vitek's is about 1/4 mile further north on the frontage, and I would bet their BBQ is twice as good as Rudy's. It is a breeze to get back on I-35 North after you come out of Vitek's, so you lose a minimum of time.

I'll be visiting Vitek's again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kensco:

I'll have to try Vitek's. They are famous for their sausages and the "gut pack". Thanks for the tip.

BTW, the first places I reviewed (#1) was the Rudy's in Waco that you drove by to get to Vitek's. It had and supposedly still has very decent Q. By far the best of any of the chains I have tried.

This is over a year old, but I thought it was humourous...... Texas Grill Rebellion

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like cooler heads prevailed in the Texas Grill Rebellion. Wish the Republican Party had that much common sense.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Texas BB pit and ice chest......

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn, college is tough these days:

Note, the school mentioned is part of Univ. of Houston.

quote:
Students chow down over break for new class on BBQ, Texas wine
By Connor Behrens March 23, 2016

Not all students headed for the beach this spring break — one group spent its week-long vacation in Texas Hill Country studying wine and cuisine.

These students are the first to take “Texas Food and Wine Experience,” which was first offered in spring 2016. The course, part of the Conrad N. Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management, asks students to keep a log of their experiences and submit essays demonstrating their understanding of how food and wine aid Texas’ fruitful hospitality business.

Associate professor Jay Neal said the idea for the trip began with assistant professor Chris Taylor, who approached Neal in June after eating lunch at Killen’s Barbecue in Pearland.

“How could I refuse?” Neal said. “It seemed like a natural fit and great partnership because I enjoy spending time with Dr. Taylor.”

Neal said students had to meet certain criteria to go on the trip, including completing more than 40 contact hours and reading two books on BBQ and Texas wine.

“Students had to apply and be interviewed based on their career goals, specifically wanting to manage restaurants or the wine industry or regional tourism,” Neal said.

Neal said students should consider taking the class because of the knowledge that could be learned from Texas food and wine, a trending cuisine in food culture.

“Texas barbecue is one of the hottest cuisines worldwide,” Neal said. “Students can get a firsthand experience with not only how Texas wines are made and taste but also how it can effect the bottom line in terms of profitability and preference in their restaurants after they graduate.”

HRM senior Brandon King said he would suggest the trip to students who want a look at the Texas food industry and are interested in joining the industry.

“I learned a lot on the trip, including the differences in the thriving Texas barbecue industry from one place to another and how small differences in cooking method, seasoning and other factors can really affect the flavor of barbecue,” King said.

HRM senior Taylor Jakovich said the trip gave valuable personal insight into the food and wine industry that he said he plans on joining.

“The trip really showed us many applications of what we’ve been learning throughout our time at the Hilton school,” Jakovich said. “It’s been a trip in which I’ve been able to apply a lot of the information we’ve learned in the classroom.”

Neal said the ultimate goal of the trip is to give students a clearer representation of the Texas food and wine industry.

“We expect them to get a better picture of the barbecue industry and wineries,” Neal said. “They will be able to visualize wine production and tasting room operations and management. As the tourism industry continues to grow in Fredericksburg, we want our students to consider this as a viable career opportunity."

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recommend Cooked on Netflix. Episode 1 on fire was very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epMAq5WYJk4

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had to make a run over to E Louisiana to pick up a canoe I bought. It was located about 40 mi or so East of Baton Rouge. Not to waste a long trip, I planned on turning it into a Q expedition and to try some of the various boudin (a pork and rice along with spices sausage that is absolutely wonderful when it is right, the commercial efforts towards making a good boudin that I've had in NE and Central Texas have been considerably less than wonderful) joints in Scott, La. The newest "best boudin" spot. From a net review of Scott's boudin shops:

quote:
On April 12, 2012, Scott, Louisiana was designated by the State Legislature of Louisiana as the "Boudin Capital of the World." This was no small feat and it meant that Broussard, Louisiana needed to relinquish the title [Broussard is now known as the "former Boudin Capital of the World"] and that Jennings, Louisiana's title of "Boudin Capital of the Universe," while seemingly more prestigious, would take a back seat to the boudininalia in Scott. The city of Scott's claim to the title is substantial, with more boudin purveyors per-capita than any other place in the state and a couple of the more prominent boudin makers (Don's Specialty Meats and Best Stop) to boot, no other city in Louisiana (and thereby the world!) produces more links than Scott.

I-10 runs right thru Scott, about 10 mi W of Lafayette, and well worth the stop for boudin if you have the time. As they say in Louisiana, "So good, it will make you slap your mama." I tried 3 of the 6 or so "famous" makers in Scott. All were either great or better if you like boudin. FWIW, I think I preferred Best Supermarkets, closely followed by Billy's Boudin, closely followed by Early's Supermarket. I bought about 20 pounds or so home with me, along with some Andouille sausage, and other local products. Let me tell you, those Cajuns have forgotten more about cooking than any other group in the country ever knew. They could make an old boot taste wonderful. I will flatly state that there is not a piece of sausage made at any of the well known Q joints in Texas that is ANYWHERE EVEN close to how delicious a piece of good boudin is, and boudin is substanstially cheaper, running about $3.60-$4.75/lb at the makers joints.

Here is a pic of fairly typical looking boudin.....

So I left home just after 6 AM in order to give the important part of the trip enough time. First stop was....

#100) Grayson's Barbecue, 5849 Hwy 71, Clarence, La (Clarence is a small town about 10 mi E of Nachitoches across the Red River and Grayson's is about 300 yards N of the intersection of Hwys 71 and 6) Grayson's was recently named "One (of 50) of the South's Legendary Barbecue Joints" by Southern Living Magazine. I was told by a friend that it was also recently picked as "Best Q in La".....it may be, but I hope not for Q lover's in Louisiana's sake. I know of at least 2 in Shreveport that I think are substantially better. My overall grade 2.25/5.00

Grayson's opens at 9 AM, every day but Sunday (closed). I arrived just before 10, after getting semi-lost trying to find a route which avoided downtown Nachitoches (worth visiting, sort of like a junior Disneyland Main St. without the Disney Character's and being mostly authentic). I went in, sat at the long counter (room with tables also) and ordered a sampler of a pound of beef, a pound of pork ribs, and a pound of their ham. Their smoked ham is supposedly famous, why I don't know. I'll make this short. Lady who waited on me was nice, started by cutting the outside off of the beef and ham, a process which I quickly stopped. This is a fairly common practice in old fashioned country Q joints in the South, I've seen it numerous times, but, of course, it removes most of the smoke/Q flavor.

Grayson's Q is a throwback to how Q has been cooked for hundreds of years, no rub that I could detect and heavily smoked. The new Q is why Q has grown in popularity, it just flat out does the old style.

All the meats at Grayson's are a very reasonable $13/lb.

The "ham" wasn't really ham, but some kind of shoulder, I think. Slight smoke flavor, very dry. I'm starting an addition to my reviews, giving each product a 1 to 5 grade, 5 being the best. Given that I think most Q is palatable, a 1 something grade would be really poor, and reasonable eating commercial chain type Q would start around 2.0/5. This was a 2.5/5.

The "beef", which I ordered sliced thick, wasn't (I think)brisket, but probably shoulder clod. Heavy muscular stringing, slightly tough, dry. 2.0/5.

The pork ribs, as were all the products, were REALLY black from smoke, tasted by far the best of the three, but the smoking had left a really hard crust on the outside. I liked it, but many people would find it too much smoke and too little tender eating. 3.0/5 but you better like heavily smoked exteriors.

The sauce was a somewhat thin, slightly sweet, slightly vinegary homemade product which I really liked. 4.0/5.

I noticed that the only desert on the blackboard menu was pecan pie. I asked if they made it or was it made for them (not always a bad thing). They said it was made on sight so after briefly tasting (and I mean briefly, this in spite of being hungry with no breakfast) the meats, I ordered a piece. To my surprise, the lady placed a piece of pie in a zip loc bag in front of me, without even the benefit of a paper plate. Plastic spoons were in a container on the counter, so I opened it up, arranged it on the zip loc bag and ate it. Not bad, lots of broken pecans, filling was not as sweet as most commercial pecan pies, which I liked. 3.0/5

Bottom line is, I would give Grayson's ** Two Stars barely and would not eat there again unless I was somehow in Clarence at lunch time. Given that Clarence is really in the middle of nowhere that is not likely. I'm sure it has great people but not great Q.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I was in Lafayette today. We planned to have lunch at Eddie's on Pinhook. They are now out of business.

We have great seafood, gumbo, stews, boudin, etc but our BBQ around here is not very good..

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I will be in Alexandria tomorrow. Any decent BBQ places in that area?

I have tried Outlaws. It is not bad.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:
I was in Lafayette today. We planned to have lunch at Eddie's on Pinhook. They are now out of business.

We have great seafood, gumbo, stews, boudin, etc but our BBQ around here is not very good..

Mike:

I was going to try Johnson's Boucaniere in Lafayette, but it closes at 3 PM, and I couldn't fit it into my schedule after filling up on boudin in Scott. I also initially had plans to go to Lester's Steakhouse that you mentioned but it added about 90 miles to the trip, which was long enough already, about 880 mi RT in 16 hours. So I made the executive decision to wait for better timing.

AFA Q in Alexandria goes, I don't have a clue. I think the "Outlaws" is part of a chain over here in Texas, which I have tried one of to date, not bad but certainly not really good.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
I had to make a run over to E Louisiana to pick up a canoe I bought. It was located about 40 mi or so East of Baton Rouge. Not to waste a long trip, I planned on turning it into a Q expedition and to try some of the various boudin (a pork and rice along with spices sausage that is absolutely wonderful when it is right, the commercial efforts towards making a good boudin that I've had in NE and Central Texas have been considerably less than wonderful) joints in Scott, La. The newest "best boudin" spot. From a net review of Scott's boudin shops:

quote:
On April 12, 2012, Scott, Louisiana was designated by the State Legislature of Louisiana as the "Boudin Capital of the World." This was no small feat and it meant that Broussard, Louisiana needed to relinquish the title [Broussard is now known as the "former Boudin Capital of the World"] and that Jennings, Louisiana's title of "Boudin Capital of the Universe," while seemingly more prestigious, would take a back seat to the boudininalia in Scott. The city of Scott's claim to the title is substantial, with more boudin purveyors per-capita than any other place in the state and a couple of the more prominent boudin makers (Don's Specialty Meats and Best Stop) to boot, no other city in Louisiana (and thereby the world!) produces more links than Scott.

I-10 runs right thru Scott, about 10 mi W of Lafayette, and well worth the stop for boudin if you have the time. As they say in Louisiana, "So good, it will make you slap your mama." I tried 3 of the 6 or so "famous" makers in Scott. All were either great or better if you like boudin. FWIW, I think I preferred Best Supermarkets, closely followed by Billy's Boudin, closely followed by Early's Supermarket. I bought about 20 pounds or so home with me, along with some Andouille sausage, and other local products. Let me tell you, those Cajuns have forgotten more about cooking than any other group in the country ever knew. They could make an old boot taste wonderful. I will flatly state that there is not a piece of sausage made at any of the well known Q joints in Texas that is ANYWHERE EVEN close to how delicious a piece of good boudin is, and boudin is substanstially cheaper, running about $3.60-$4.75/lb at the makers joints.

Here is a pic of fairly typical looking boudin.....

So I left home just after 6 AM in order to give the important part of the trip enough time. First stop was....

#100) Grayson's Barbecue, 5849 Hwy 71, Clarence, La (Clarence is a small town about 10 mi E of Nachitoches across the Red River and Grayson's is about 300 yards N of the intersection of Hwys 71 and 6) Grayson's as recently named "One (of 50) of the South's Legendary Barbecue Joints" by Southern Living Magazine. I was told by a friend that it was also recently picked as "Best Q in La".....it may be, but I hope not for Q lover's in Louisiana's sake. I know of at least 2 in Shreveport that I think are substantially better. My overall grade 2.25/5.00

Grayson's opens at 9 AM, every day but Sunday (closed). I arrived just before 10, after getting semi-lost trying to find a route which avoided downtown Nachitoches (worth visiting, sort of like a junior Disneyland Main St. without the Disney Character's and being mostly authentic). I went in, sat at the long counter (room with tables also) and ordered a sampler of a pound of beef, a pound of pork ribs, and a pound of their ham. Their smoked ham is supposedly famous, why I don't know. I'll make this short. Lady who waited on me was nice, started by cutting the outside off of the beef and ham, a process which I quickly stopped. This is a fairly common practice in old fashioned country Q joints in the South, I've seen it numerous times, but, of course, it removes most of the smoke/Q flavor.

Grayson's Q is a throwback to how Q has been cooked for hundreds of years, no rub that I could detect and heavily smoked. The new Q is why Q has grown in popularity, it just flat out does the old style.

All the meats at Grayson's are a very reasonable $13/lb.

The "ham" wasn't really ham, but some kind of shoulder, I think. Slight smoke flavor, very dry. I'm starting an addition to my reviews, giving each product a 1 to 5 grade, 5 being the best. Given that I think most Q is palatable, a 1 something grade would be really poor, and reasonable eating commercial chain type Q would start around 2.0/5. This was a 2.5/5.

The "beef", which I ordered sliced thick, wasn't (I think)brisket, but probably shoulder clod. Heavy muscular stringing, slightly tough, dry. 2.0/5.

The pork ribs, as were all the products, were REALLY black from smoke, tasted by far the best of the three, but the smoking had left a really hard crust on the outside. I liked it, but many people would find it too much smoke and too little tender eating. 3.0/5 but you better like heavily smoked exteriors.

The sauce was a somewhat thin, slightly sweet, slightly vinegary homemade product which I really liked. 4.0/5.

I noticed that the only desert on the blackboard menu was pecan pie. I asked if they made it or was it made for them (not always a bad thing). They said it was made on sight so after briefly tasting (and I mean briefly, this in spite of being hungry with no breakfast) the meats, I ordered a piece. To my surprise, the lady placed a piece of pie in a zip loc bag in front of me, without even the benefit of a paper plate. Plastic spoons were in a container on the counter, so I opened it up, arranged it on the zip loc bag and ate it. Not bad, lots of broken pecans, filling was not as sweet as most commercial pecan pies, which I liked. 3.0/5

Bottom line is, I would give Grayson's ** Two Stars barely and would not eat there again unless I was somehow in Clarence at lunch time. Given that Clarence is really in the middle of nowhere that is not likely. I'm sure it has great people but not great Q.

Best is very good. I normally fill a yeti cooler going to houston to give to my buddies in Houston for letting me crash at their place and fill a yeti on the way back to Florida.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
It has been a few years since I have eaten anything from Best Stop. At one time (and probably still) they had the best cracklins around.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gato, I admire your ability to stay focused. When I get to Lafayette the closest I can come to BBQ is Prejean's http://prejeans.com/ or Randol’s http://www.randols.com/

I try, and I try, but I just can’t find a BBQ place in that town. How anyone can live in Lafayette and not weigh 400 pounds is beyond my comprehension.

one of us
posted Hide Post
We sacrifice for the sake of our Q followers, all one of them. dancing

BTW, to Mike and others, you might try Billy's Boudin, which is a relative newcomer to the Scott area, but seems to be capturing a large audience of admirers. It is just South of I-10, near most of the other boudin joints (Scott isn't all that large). Even tho I was there about 2 PM on a Wed. there was a steady and fairly heavy stream of customers. I had to wait in line about 10 minutes to get my second order. First was a sampler. I really liked their boudin, and if I had eaten it first, it might have been my numero uno choice but Best is farther N on the street (hwy 93) and I stopped there first and was over whelmed by boudin goodness and the friendliness of a particular cajun girl helping me with my selections. Damn good thing I know I'm old enough to be her grandpere or I might have made a fool out of myself. I know I would have if I was 30 years younger. But...reluctantly Frowner ..... back to boudin, Billy's Boudin is quite a bit spicier (peppery) than the others. Really great and the red pepper really suited my Texas tastes. Not overwhelming but a nice touch. Note that Billy's boudin is the most expensive of the local product that I tried, running about a buck a pound more than the others. Worth the difference? I'm not sure, but damn good boudin.

In addition, Billy's sold these HUGE boudin balls for a buck apiece. About the size of a billiard ball or a bit larger. REALLY GOOD but I didn't think they would travel well so I didn't stock up. Boudin balls are fried boudin with big flakes of batter on them. I'm not sure how they get these flakes. Maybe cornflakes in the batter? I tried one of the "regular" but a guy in line in front of me the second time around swore the ones with pepper and jack cheese were to die for. He lived in Lake Charles (for those geographically challenged among us, or for Yankees, Lake Charles is about 65 mi W of Scott on I-10, not too far from the La/Tx border) and said Billy's was like a magnet every time he drove by on the interstate. Billy's and other places have bread stuffed with boudin. I could only stand so much gastronomic ecstasy at one time, so I left them for another trip. I will be back and it won't be long.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Something "new" coming our way.

http://bizbeatblog.dallasnews....chain-bets-yes.html/

Not sure they will find a big following in Texas, but I'll try them once.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Really a great cut of beef but the proof will be in the preparation/cooking/presentation. I'd try it in a heartbeat unless you beat me to it and tell me not to go.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Since the place is long gone now perhaps this is pointless,however the best I ever had was a little joint of north mays st. in Round Rock.Old black man had the place + I just stopped in for lunch as we had a job going right down the street.I swear to God,I have never eaten any better.Just another point in favor of Murphy's law. The best in the business goes out of same.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This article doesn't have a lot of meat in it, ...sorry, I couldn't resist..., but it is one I missed last month that was devoted strictly to burnt-ends in the Dallas area, so it is worth sharing I guess.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/...-ends-in-dfw-8055454

one of us
posted Hide Post
Starting May 10th you can get Barbeque 24/7 at Sonny Bryan's on Inwood ("The Original") in Dallas.

http://www.guidelive.com/food-...pen-24-hour-barbecue

I haven't been to a Sonny Bryan's in about 15 years. They used to be an old name, well respected.

http://www.sonnybryans.com/

As always on TripAdvisor, some guy says it stinks, and the next guy says it is the best he ever ate.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Re...se-Dallas_Texas.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
I dunno about the former, but it sure as hell isn't the latter, at least for anyone who knows Q.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Starting May 10th you can get Barbeque 24/7 at Sonny Bryan's on Inwood ("The Original") in Dallas.

I haven't been to a Sonny Bryan's in about 15 years. They used to be an old name, well respected.

As always on TripAdvisor, some guy says it stinks, and the next guy says it is the best he ever ate.

I stopped by there last Thursday at lunchtime...I'd have to agree with your "some guy". It was bad this time.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2745 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:

I stopped by there last Thursday at lunchtime...I'd have to agree with your "some guy". It was bad this time.

I agree. It has never really done much for me. Yes, there's tradition, but that doesn't always hit the taste buds.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
More than I, at least, knew about cooking with salt.....(shamelessly stolen from link on TMBBQ.com)

quote:
What is Kosher salt and what makes it different?

Kosher salt appears as an ingredient in most barbecue and general cooking recipes. But what exactly is it, and why is it important to know the difference?

Sodium Chloride. That’s the more complex scientific name for salt. More like Sodi-YUM. Am i right?! I mean, all foods would be infinitely less delicious without the addition of that most magical of seasonings, salt. Have you ever tried some salts and thought “hrmm, this actually tastes saltier than the other kind I usually use”? Well good news, you’re not crazy, you’re actually just very perceptive. In fact, when I write my recipes, I usually just specify “salt to taste” without talking about the variety or how much to use. And here’s why: some salts are in fact saltier than others. MIND BLOWN!

To be more specific, they’re not saltier in their make up, it’s all the same compound, but it’s all about the density. That is, how much space or air in in each crystal of salt, which affects how much sodium chloride the crystal is actually comprised of. It seems complicated, but I’m gonna tell it to you as simple as I can: basically, some types of salt actually have a greater amount of salt per crystal, so they taste saltier.

What is the difference between table and kosher salt?

Bringing it back to your kitchen, this means that table salt is actually double as salty as kosher salt. DOUBLE! So if a recipe says 2 teaspoons of kosher salt, and you’re using that convenient table salt that you have hanging around, you’re putting twice the amount of salt in to your dish than the recipe intended and that, my friends, could be disastrous.

So what can you do about it? It’s actually a pretty simple fix. Just add salt by weight, not volume. But let’s be realistic, most of us don’t have scales hanging around for measuring this type of stuff. Really, as long as you’re aware table salt is gunna be double the strength of kosher, you can adjust the amounts yourself as you go.

So what exactly is kosher salt?

Now you know why you can’t just substitute kosher salt in a recipe, let’s talk about what it actually is. Unlike the same suggests, Kosher salt isn’t about actually being Kosher (ie, blessed by a Rabbi and in accordance with the laws of Kashrut), but rather that it’s salt designed to be used for the koshering process. Kosher laws dictate the meat must be free from blood, so the larger grained salts were favored for drawing out any excess blood. Over the years, that style of salt has come to be generically referred to as Kosher Salt. All this confusion would be most easily fixed if it were simply referred to as “koshering salt”.

Pro tip – if you don’t live in an area where Kosher Salt is readily available, I would advise against randomly calling your local synagogue to ask where you can get some. It’s kinda like calling the Belgian embassy to find out where the waffles are at. Try ordering online instead.

And just to complicate things further, there’s a huge difference between the density of the two major brands of kosher salt, Morton and Diamond Crystal, so be sure to check the side of the box you purchase for full info.

kosher, table, sea, smoked and black salt

Why is kosher salt preferable for cooking?

Easy to distribute: The larger grains make it more tactile, easier to pinch between your fingers and sprinkle, so it’s more precise.
Less likely to over-salt: since it’s about half as “salty” than table salt, it takes more of if to over salt a dish.
Great base for bark: particularly with barbecue, a physical crust is a great foundation to a good bark (which is why BBQ joints predominantly use coarse 10/16 gauge cracked pepper). The bigger grains and ability to use more of it make for a great bark starting point.
Other types of salts used for cooking

While we’re talking about all things salt, you may also want to consider some other types of culinary salts to add to your arsenal. I like using delicate salt flakes as a finishing sprinkle on steaks – the large, flat flakes make for a pretty contrast and can easily be brushed away if you’ve added too much. I also use French Fleur De Sel for salted caramel and other desserts or dishes that need a definitive salty hit. The FDS granules are larger and ‘clumpier’ than kosher salt, so you get a really nice burst amongst the sweetness. And if I’m brining something I’ll try to use pickling salt, which has very fine granules to allow it to dissolve quickly in water.

All of the above is why “salt to taste” is such an important instruction. Plus, salting to taste takes into account that most immeasurable of standards- varying degrees of personal taste. However you salt, just remember the golden rule – you can always add more, but you can’t take it back out!

BY JESS PRYLES

Jess Pryles is a full fledged Hardcore Carnivore. She’s a cook, writer, and TV personality specializing in red meat, with penchant for grilling and bourbon. She's also a respected authority on Texas & competition style barbecue. Born in Australia, she now resides in Austin, Texas.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
posted 26 May 2013 11:07

#55) Pecan Lodge, 1010 S. Pearl Expressway, Dallas Tx (Farmer's Market Shed #2)(in the new Texas Monthly list tied for #2 with Snow's and Louie Mueller (Franklin's being numero uno), some high company) (Open Thur to Sun, 11-3 or until the meat runs out)(My overall grade A--)

I had called a Q phile friend in Ft Worth to see if he would meet us for lunch. He readily agreed and got there about 10:45 and joined us while Adam and I were STANDING IN LINE for the joint to open at 11. He drove about 40 mi one way, so he is a pretty serious Q eater himself. We arrived inside Farmer's Market Shed #2 about 10:40 and there were already about 25 people in front of us waiting in line. By the time we left about an hour later the line was multiples longer stretching about half way the length of the shed, with at least 150 people in it. I mean the Q is really good, but at about $16 or $17 a pound, personally I ain't waiting in line for an extended time period for it again.

By the time we ordered some for us to eat, some for us to take home, and some for my buddy to take back to his business for his employees, our bill was over $300 and worth it. My friend and I have had a long running discussion/argument about his paying in Tarrant County. I quickly pointed out that we weren't in Tarrant County and picked up the tab. I am way ahead, so far, but other non-Tarrant County Q joints still have the siren call of smoke and I hope for our fun meal expenditures to become more even in the future.

At any rate, we got pounds of brisket, pounds of pork ribs, and 1.2 pounds of beef rib (what one rib weighed) to eat in.

The brisket, which I didn't hesitate to try ahead of the others, was really outstanding, dark exterior, dead tender, with a great smoke and spice flavor from the rub. We were all agreed. Just great!

The pork ribs were quite good IMO but my friend disagreed and thought they just didn't do it for him. They were dead tender and tasty to me. The real problem for both of us was that somewhere, and obviously at least in the later stages of cooking (sauce on ribs was very slightly damp but obviously had been in the smoke, as a side note, the sauce "soaked" into the ribs I took home and they were really better than the fresh ones to me), they were basted with their Q sauce. This lead to a slightly vinegary spicy flavor which I found to be both distracting and not as pleasant as the straight finish of the brisket. My friend was even less impressed. Adam was about in the middle of the opinion line.

Finally we come to the piece d'resistance, the beef rib. The brisket was exceptional but in the opinion of all 3 of us, the rib was even better. Dead tender, cooked correctly (not overcooked) and with that mixture of fat and converted collagen with makes good beef ribs so spectacular. I'd have to compare them side by side, but I think I would give a slight edge to Louie Mueller's.

The sauce was home made, tomato based with a bit of hot pepper and a couple of fairly obvious notes of a spice that we could not identify. To our tastes, good but not as good as the unsauced meat.

At any rate, great Q and if the pork ribs hadn't of been "sauced" I might have given it my highest rating yet. Worth a visit, but I might take a chance on a later time and hope the lines had died out but I wouldn't bet on it, since the newest Texas Monthly rating issue just came out. Would I stand in line again, well, maybe for 15 minutes but the wait time for some of the people in line when we left would have been well over an hour. As a friend of mine used to say, that would be too much sugar for a dime for me.

An update on Pecan Lodge initially reviewed above:

I had to do some business with my Q buddy in Dallas last Friday. Initially we were going to 18th and Vine which I have been wanting to try, but, after consultation, decided to re-visit PL. For those who don't follow the latest on the Shrines of Q, PL has moved from its old location in the Farmer's Market to the present location at 2702 Maple St in Deep Ellum which is just East of downtown Dallas. I had eaten Q from this new location a couple of times, but this is the first time I had been there.

A couple of observations that might prove helpful. Parking in this area is a real problem. There is a parking lot just to the S of PL (opposite side of block) which charges $2. A bargain IMO, and you only have to walk a couple of hundred feet from your car. More importantly, you only have to stagger back that same distance while reeling from Q overload. Second, the bar inside PL, which seats roughly a dozen people will serve you Q without your having to go thru the line. This can be a significant time saving if you are not near the front of the line AND there is a place available at the bar.

By the time I had figured out the parking, I was in line at about 10:45 awaiting opening at 11. PL's current hours, Tues-Thurs and Sun 11-3 and Fri and Sat 11-10PM or until the meat sells out. There were about 15 people in front of me, a few of which went the bar route. By the time the doors opened, the line had grown significantly and there were probably about 50 people in it. While eating, it seemed that there weren't that many people in line around 11:30. So, at least on this day, arrive early or a bit late. Probably has something to do with the timing of people's lunch hours.

Took about 15 minutes after they opened doors at 11 to order, knowing I was going to take some home, and waiting on my friend, I ordered 3 pounds each of brisket and pork ribs (sold by the half pound at $10 for brisket and $8.5 for the pork ribs)and 2 beef ribs (these weighed 2.6 pounds total and include a large bone all for the not so cheap price of $22/lb).

You order and pay at end of line, and then they call out your name when you order is ready and you pick it up in the window in middle back of dining area. Fairly efficient, but my hearing is so bad that I had a hard time figuring out what the microphone was spitting out.

At any rate, friend who was delayed by traffic, finally arrived just in time to pick up tray full of Q. Looked good and was good, but not as good as I would have expected for what I have been calling the Best Q in Texas.

The brisket, which I ordered the fatty end, was WONDERFUL and would be very hard to exceed. I'm calling it 5/5.0 which doesn't mean it's the best ever, but means that it is just damn fine eating. I'm trying to grade the meats by the standards of Q judges, which is that each meat stands on it's own and should not be compared to others. That said, I personally don't recall eating any better brisket. This days example significantly exceeding the brisket I had from Franklin's, but, to be fair, we think the brisket we had from Franklin's is probably not up to their normal product. With the lines, I'm not sure I'll ever find out. I love Q, but waiting in line more than 15 minutes for the best Q in the world is pushing my patience for what is after all, just smoked meat.

The beef ribs were also extremely good, but not as good as they have been in the past. Very slightly overcooked. Still, very fine eating but I'm scoring them 4.5/5.

The pork ribs were by a fair margin the worst of the 3, very good, slightly sweet rub, slightly tough, good solid ribs, but not really outstanding. 4.0/5.

In enjoying the companionship, eating the meat, I flat forgot to try the sauce so that will have to await another effort.

All in all, the Q was really fine eating but not up to my standards of what I would call the BEST. I'll give it a 4.75 out of 5.0.

**** Four Stars, well worth planning a trip to eat there. Highly recommended.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Like I needed another one, I bought a canoe in N Houston off of craig's list on Monday morning. So I arranged to pick it up that afternoon about 5:30.

Left house just before 12 without breakfast. So by the time I drove through Henderson, my stomach was checking to see if my throat was cut.

I had picked out a Q joint in Humble, my destination, but decided that I would save that for another day, if ever and wheeled into.....

#101) Bodacious Barbecue, 1005 US 79, Henderson, Tx.This is one of many Bodacious Q joints around, almost all of which are independently owned and operated, the only real tie being they all serve the Bodacious Q sauce.
The Q here was solid Q, not remarkable, but good. My overall rating 3.25/5.

Went in around 2 PM. Friendly guy took my order of a pound of brisket and a pound of ribs. Brisket was $17.99/lb and ribs were $15.99/lb.

Both were good, nothing special but solid Q.

Ribs were probably best of two. 3.5/5.

Brisket, slightly reddish throughout, nicely smoked. I'll give them a 3.5 as well. Again, somewhat above average but not really special.

Sauce which is tomato based, thin, and slightly spicy is good. 4.25.

** Two Stars. A solid stop and easy to find if you're driving through Henderson.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got relatives coming from Chattanooga in a few months. My cousin's a guy that loves Q, and entered in quite a few contests a few years back. We'll no doubt be smoking meat in the backyard and visiting one or two Q joints in our area; probably Lockhart's (Plano), and Hutchins.

I started a Web search to see what Tennessee BBQ is all about to try to steer them more towards a Texas BBQ experience.

It cracked me up that "Tennessee's BBQ" is in Massachusetts, and "Tennessee Jed's" BBQ is on Long Island. "Tennessee BBQ" is actually in Tennessee.

Looks like Tennessee BBQ is predominately pork. That being the case, we'll do a brisket and burnt-ends while they are here.

(I found it interesting that in the "style guide" below for American BBQ, the narrator is obviously English. What does he know?!?!)

http://www.eater.com/2014/7/10...nd-smoke-from-sea-to

This style-guide is also a good read.

http://www.seriouseats.com/201...bs-pork-chicken.html

Should be interesting. Some years ago at a family reunion my cousin cooked some barbecued pulled pork sandwiches as I recall. I don't remember them being that good.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Out daughter's HS Softball team was scheduled to play a game in Longview yesterday at 5 PM. As locals know, we've had a very busy streak of serious thunderstorms and tornados across our area, and yesterday was no different, except worse. We left in a medium rain after 3 and it got worse. They cancelled the game in Longview due to field conditions (flooded) and found the last semi-dry spot in E Tx to try to play it in Beckville, which is about 35 mi SE of Longview. Actually the highway from Longview to Beckville (149) is one of the few in E Tx that I had never been on. At any rate, while waiting for the game to commence in Beckville, we doubled back for a quick Q fix at this joint we had passed on the way, about 5 miles back up the road......

#102) Bodacious Tatum, 1630 N. Hill St. (Hwy 149), Tatum, Tx Surprisingly decent Q, My overall rating 3.5/5.

We ordered a pound of pork ribs and a pound of brisket, both very good and slightly better than those of the Bodacious above in Henderson.

Brisket 3.75/5. Tender, good bark, good bite.

Ribs 3.75 as well. Very good eating.

Sauce as above, somewhat sweet with spices. 4.25.

** Two Stars and worth a stop if you're on this road.

....BTW. bottom of first inning, tied, lightning stopped game and then the bottom fell out. We drove back to Longview in a heavy rain, stopped for some sushi, thinking it would blow over, instead it blew in and the drive home was miserable. At one point, near the Sulphur River, I've NEVER seen it rain that hard but we made it. On to next Q joint......

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I'm jealous.. We're pulling an all nighter in Dallas & NYC. The guys in the Dallas office tonight have Hard 8 delivered to the job.

I settled on pizza

Posts: 6386 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go in to any "BBQ joint" in Texas and they all have the exact same thing prepared the exact same way that every other BBQ joint in Texas has, right down to the Wonder Bread...

And they all swear that theirs is the best.

Posts: 4156 | Location: Hell | Registered: 22 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not very quick when it comes to TX Q Karl.
I am greatful that my nose & tastebuds are obviously MUCH better than yours.
How can you even put Pecan and Mesquite in the same category ? Much less Oak and Hickory ? If your nose and tastebuds CANNOT tell the difference, they AND you need learnin !

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Killartist:
How can you even put Pecan and Mesquite in the same category ? Much less Oak and Hickory ? If your nose and tastebuds CANNOT tell the difference, they AND you need learnin !

I don't care WHAT you do to a brisket, it still sucks. rotflmo

Anyways, I've heard all about Texas BBQ all my life and it just aint nothing special. A smoked brisket is a dried out hunk of throw-away meat that the old ranch owners used to give to the ranch hands because no one else would eat it, and the only way to make it edible was to cook it for 24-hours. Just because it smells like smoke don't make it good...

And real BBQ doesn't require sauce to be poured on it to make it edible...

PS. hot dogs aint sausages, they're hot dogs. Sausages are made from pork, not beef.

Posts: 4156 | Location: Hell | Registered: 22 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Killartist:

Tex:

Just ignore the idiot troll. All he is looking for is a rise out of people who know more than he does. He is a sniveling idiot, hanging on to his uncle, probably hoping for an inheritance he doesn't deserve. Anyone who was anything like a man would leave Texas, as he so devoutly wishes, and move to Montana, where he will be lucky if he is accepted as the new village idiot. I close with a quote which applies:

quote:
Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish. Euripides

xxxxxxxxxx