THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Best Damn BBQ joints in Texas or anywhere.......
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 29

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Damn BBQ joints in Texas or anywhere....... Login/Join 
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sad to hear that you did not get to Franklins I am hoping to hear your review soon. Franklins videos on youtube have really helped me in the land of no Q.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you'll come to Austin and stand in line, I'll buy your Q. Wink

BTW Franklin has a cookbook coming out soon.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since we go to Richardson quite often for the Chinese grocery, etc. I may try it. The "founder of Chili's" sounds like a bad start, but who knows? Getting 2 stars from the DMN isn't all that good a rec, to say the least.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had to make a quick run to SW Texas to look at some property. The property didn't work, so on the way back, I dropped in to....

#83) Cooper's Bar-B-Que and Grill, 2423 N. Main (Hwy 83, about 250 yds N of I-10), Junction, Tx. My overall rating B--

....unfortunately, this Q joint didn't work out too well either. I was warned by a quick glimpse at Daniel Vaughn's book, "The Prophets of Smoked Meat" (well worth buying if you're going to wander around Texas in a smoke induced haze looking for Q joints to try) who said it was not very good. I should have believed him. But, but, it said "Cooper's".....

Well, to understand the name, "Cooper's", takes a while, but a very short version is that the original "Cooper's" is NOT in Llano, like many believe but in Mason. The "Cooper's" in Llano and other locations, including DFW airport, is now ably owned by Terry Wootan and his family. This Cooper's was started by the "original" Mason Cooper's (George) grandson a few years back. The sign outside says, "The original (which it isn't, of course) Not a Franchise".

This Cooper's, like all the Cooper's, doesn't really barbecue as we think of it, they more or less grill their meat on direct heat over coals.

I went inside in a light rain about 6:30 to be greeted by friendly servers and damn few customers. Another major clue in an area overrun with oil field hands. At any rate, because my then plan (later abandoned as I headed for home last night, driving most of the night to cover the 600 miles home) was to eat at this Cooper's, then the next day at the original in Mason, and the most famous one, in Llano.

So....I only ordered a 2 meat plate with 2 sides ($14.49) and a 1/2 pound of sausage ($6.99). They served about a third of a pound of brisket and ribs. The brisket might have had promise but it was seriously overcooked, not quite crumbly, but close. The ribs, possibly due to cooking style, were decent but tough. The jalapeno sausage was actually very good. The best of the 3 meats without doubt.

The two sides that I ordered were cole slaw and potato salad. Both were decent but not remarkable.

They had 2 sauces, the "original" and a tomato based "dipping sauce". The original was quite good, mostly diluted vinegar with peppers and some other spices in it. It went well with the pork. As Southern cooks have known for centuries, vinegar and pork go well together. The "dipping sauce" was not horrible but it aspired to it. Heavy tomato flavor, with no redeeming qualities. Did I mention that I didn't find it pleasing?

There is another Q joint in town, "Lum's", which I haven't tried, but if you've got to have Q and are in Junction, Tx, I'd recommend you do so. It is unlikely to be worse.

To be clear and fair, this was not horrible, it was actually palatable, but certainly not anywhere near good Q. The employees I ordered from and paid were super nice and friendly, almost pleasant enough to make it worth another visit, but not quite.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Charlie,don't know if this has been mentioned yet but you need to try Franklin's on E.11th st. in Austin next you're seeing the kids. They only do lunch from 11:00 until it's all gone ,then they shut down for the day. People start showing up to stand in line about 7 in the AM,yes,it's that good. Try to make it on a bad weather day + most of the crowd will be gone. I mention this as I know it is your quest.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NC:

See my post above (8 posts above, not counting this one).

Like I said, if Franklin's was GIVING Q away (which he certainly isn't at $20/lb for brisket), I wouldn't stand in line 3 or 4 hours for it. AND, standing in line in the rain FOR ONLY and hour or two......Give me a break.

And no, it can't be that good, at least for me.

I'd bet you didn't stand in line either. Of course, I have been wrong before, if only I could remember when. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Charlie,no,I have'nt stood in line or had any yet. My middle son who lives in Austin has + does + gives it great reviews. Just thought I would pass it on to you.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DMN article lists best "new" "DFW" Restaurants for 2014, including Lockhart Smokehouse Plano and Pecan Lodge.

http://res.dallasnews.com/inte...ew-restaurants-2014/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Re: Review of Lockhart Smokehouse, Plano

quote:
I may be a carpetbagger, but I’m here to tell you there is nowhere better for barbecue in North Texas.

Don't listen to that carpetbagger, she doesn't know what she's talking about.

Full disclosure, I haven't tried it (but now am forced to put it near top of my list since it is a fairly convenient location for me), but the pitmaster, Will Fleishmann, WAS the pitmaster at the original in Oak Cliff, and he can't have gotten that much better. I hope to be proven wrong, but I'd bet pretty good money that Hutchin's or Pecan Lodge don't have much to worry about.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm going to Kenny's Smoke House in Plano later today.

http://kennyssmoke.com/

I've been there once before and enjoyed it. Kenny's is a little more up-scale than most of the BBQ joints I frequent, but an occasional glass of wine with Bar-B-Q isn't a bad thing.

Aside from Bar-B-Q, Kenny's Group has some very good burger joints in the area, a grill, and an Italian operation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If any of you get to Texarkana you really ought to go by Namman's.
It is the best that I have eaten for American style BBQ and I have tried it all over the country.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Cooper's in Junction = worst BBQ I ever tried to eat.

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Fisk:
If any of you get to Texarkana you really ought to go by Namman's.
It is the best that I have eaten for American style BBQ and I have tried it all over the country.

Jerry:

Reviewed above (#73, RATED A---) and it is damn fine Q.....not as good as your knives, but then, it doesn't take as long either. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kenny's turned out to be as good as the first trip. I had the Ribs & Chicken. Got surprised by the portions first; five big meaty ribs and three large pieces of chicken tenders. A full meal for sure. The ribs were very good, the chicken, not as good as you get at Cheddar's. Had the Smoked Gouda Mac & Cheese as the side. It was a good choice. Service was first class. The Hahn Pinot Noir was nice.

Kenny's isn't a place I'll drive to for BBQ, but when in The Shops of Legacy area on other business, it is a good restaurant choice. Be prepared to strain during a conversation as the acoustics aren't the best in this smallish restaurant. Reservations are a good idea, or be prepared to wait.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice article in last Sunday's Houston Chronicle on Pizzatola's and it's history. Certainly one of the best Q places in Texas.

I wait for the backlash, but have you tried the ribs?

Posts: 9952 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got to insist on going to Pizzatolas next time I get to Houston. My associates always want to go to Goode & Co and Brennans. Of course they are paying......

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Goode Company is good, no pun intended. My family usually eats there at least once a week.

Pizzatola's is great. No atmosphere. Just good Q.

Brennans is a totally different experience. Great restaurant, but you better wear a tie. Turtle soup is awesome.

Posts: 9952 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I made another quick run (if you can make a 600 mi one way trip quick) to Val Verde County in SW Texas. to look at another property. Hopefully, with more success this time, but I won't know until the owners accept or reject my offer. At any rate, that was on Wed. I had planned to meet with another RE agent on Thursday, but he had a family emergency and was forced to cancel. So I headed for Austin to buy some of the Apricot Brandy that Alberta Canuck from AR has "flung a craving" for it onto me. Consulting the map, I figured I might as well try another Cooper's, the original in Mason. So, I changed my route a bit, and went to.....

#84) Cooper's, Super S Foods parking lot, 502 San Antonio Street (Hwy 87, South side of town) Mason, TX 76856. This is the original location, but, with the exception of the Cooper's in Junction, reviewed above, none of the current Cooper's are owned by any of the original Cooper family. They sold out when one of their sons died in an accident. See explanation below, but based on what I was served, my overall rating would be C+

To begin, you have to know that all the Cooper's (and Hard 8 among others) use a Q cooking method which is not really Q cooking as most would define it. It is more like direct heat grilling and then they remove the meats to a holding box, waiting for the next victim, unnnnh, I mean customer. So, if you arrive at any of the Cooper's at an active feeding period, lunch or dinner, then you will be more likely to get decent fresh cooked meats. otherwise the quality of the meats will decline as the time in the holding grill lengthens. In this case, even knowing this, I chose to pull in about 4:30. That was a mistake. I find it hard to believe that this or any Cooper's can serve meat that has been dried and overcooked by being "held" for hours and stay in business.

At any rate, I took one look and knew I was in for a less than stellar dining experience. The serving/cutting lady was nice, the wind was blowing, and it was about 20 degrees, so I quickly chose a few portions of almost everything they had....the chicken and turkey looked beyond hope of resuscitation so I passed on them...but did get a 1/2 pound of brisket and pork ribs, a couple of smallish beef ribs, a smaller portion of jalapeno sausage, then goat sausage, and finally, a couple of lamb ribs. This sounds like more than it was. IF it had been good, I could probably have finished the whole panoply, but I put most of it in the ice chest. All that and a diet coke (gotta watch those calories, doncha know Big Grin ) for $48.06.....not a bargain by any standards and absolute robbery for what I was served.

The brisket was probably the best of a very poor lot, somewhat dried out but would have promise if served when it was right. However, very salty rub.

The pork ribs rank with some of the worst I've had, not really overcooked, but so tough that it was a struggle to separate them from the bones. Possibly a partial result of the hotter and faster cooking method used and probably just a tough pig, which does happen.

The beef ribs, similar to the brisket, were good, but too long on the holding grill, again with a very salty rub.

Lamb ribs are different, first time I've tried them, somewhat fatty, dried out to some extent, but might be worth trying again, if you are there when they are fresh off the grill.

Goat sausage was somewhat interesting, not bad, but not a choice that I would go out of my way for.

Jalapeno sausage was, IMO, just plain poor. Very little heat and I didn't think the flavor was interesting either.

The sauce on the table, which was different from the black soupy looking stuff I declined to have the meat dipped in off the grill, was kind of neat, sort of like a slightly creamy version of Louisiana Hot Sauce with a slightly sweet base and no vinegar flavor. I really liked it, the only really good item I tried while there.

I almost certainly won't go back, but IF I was there at lunch or dinner time and IF there was a flow of customers, I would give it another try. I know it can't be this bad all the time or it would not still be in business but I've got to grade it on what I had, not on what they might be able to do. In general, pass on by would be my advice.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not a classic BBQ joint, but they are moving closer to me, so I may have to try ... Smoke. Firewood Cooking appeals to me. Looks like they have the standard; brisket, ribs, sausage, pulled pork, etc.

http://smokerestaurant.com/

A menu without prices is usually a dead give-a-way.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Without reading this whole thread.....we stopped at Mikeska's on the way back to Houston from POC yesterday.....the brisket and ribs were damn good.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
OK I may be relocating to HOUSTON any good place's there???? for bar B que thats is sofa

If the traffic is anything like it was when we passed through it twice this past weekend I wouldn't live there if they handed me the key to the city. It was only 65 degrees too....I can't imagine mid-summer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Curious how Mikeska's compares.....anyone? Gato?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I pass Mikeska's at least 25 times a year on hunting and fishing trips. I've tried it two or three times. I'd rather eat a can of Vienna sausage and a red onion. I'll keep passing it.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well then....I can't wait to go back and try a good place. rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 65-70 mies past Mikeska's on the same side of the road. 4 mikes past Hilje where Prasek's is located, is Mustang Creek in an old Exxon station. Very good chicken and sausage, beef is about a B-. Ribs B. Sauce may be out of a bottle. Sides are good.
Prasek's serves an OK chopped beef sandwich, but they really shine as a meat market with Beef, and turkey jerky and other smoked meats (pork loin etc.) also very good bakery products. I have them make venison summer sausage and breakfast sausage for me and they do a great job, although pricey.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norton:
Curious how Mikeska's compares.....anyone? Gato?

Are you talking about the one in Columbus, closer to Houston, or the one in El Campo? I haven't eaten in either one. There are quite a few "Mikeska's" around. The one I tried and reviewed was not memorable, but each joint stands alone. Rudy Mikeska tried to compete head up with Louie Mueller's in Taylor. A really poor decision, I could have told him, he didn't make it.

Based on his various posts in this thread, I would trust Lawdog's review. I only found one review online by what I consider a Q person and he liked it, but I don't know him and I know Lawdog knows Q.

In addition it is not covered in Vaughn's book, which is always a bad sign.

I don't get down that way often, but there are quite a few joints that are probably better in the area and several in the Houston area, if you can stand the traffic. Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well then....I can't wait to go back and try a good place. rotflmo

You'll never look at brisket the same again. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you just can't wait after tasting Texas Q, here is a list of some joints that ship.
Some are gone, but I can highly recommend Snow's and the price is pretty reasonable. The quality won't be like getting it hot off the grill, but it should be very good.

Joints that ship

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was referring to the Mikeska's on Highway 59 south of Houston, close to El Campo. Never darkened the door of the one near Columbus. A man would have to know his way around a pit (smoker) to compete with Louie Mueller's. I make it to Austin from time to time but you'll not catch me standing in line for hours to score Q. I'd rather smoke my own. I did see that Franklin is coming out with cook book.

Mark Twain

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lawdog:

What area of Texas do you call home? If you're close to the NE corner you should drop by sometime. We're going to cook Q for an ill friend of mine before long, you'd be welcome. It really ain't A quality, but it eats okay, especially with some grain based beverages.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
G:
Thanks for the kind offer. Sounds like up in the Marshall area. Very rare for me to get up that way.
I'm in Houston and do most of my recreating in South and West Texas. I put up with the weather (generally gone in August) and the traffic. But I'm 2 1/2 hours to the best fishing for redfish and ducks (Rockport) in the state. 4-5 hours to South Texas deer, turkey, and hogs (Pearsall), dove (Brady) and quail (Falfurias). Same offer to you if you travel south.
Best regards

Mark Twain

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato....it was the one Lawdog mentioned on 59 south in El Campo....we passed it on our way to Port O'Connor for ducks. Also ate at Los Cucos in El Campo....darn tasty.

I'll be back and I'll reference this thread before I go. Big Grin

Thanks for the Q link.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Gato....it was the one Lawdog mentioned on 59 south in El Campo....we passed it on our way to Port O'Connor for ducks. Also ate at Los Cucos in El Campo....darn tasty.

I'll be back and I'll reference this thread before I go. Big Grin

Thanks for the Q link.

Norton:

If you order from Snow's you'll be hooked for sure. I would suggest that if in the future you're going to drive around Texas very much that you get a copy of Daniel Vaughn's "The Prophets of Smoked Meat", which covers most of the Texas Q scene in likely more detail than you will care to know.

The truth is, most of the best Q in Texas is within 50 miles or so of Austin. There are certainly other great joints, Pecan Lodge in Dallas, for one example, but, in general, they are coveyed up in the Austin area. And, the area SW of Houston all the way down to Corpus Christi is not a hotbed of good Q. I've tried most of the ones people mention in that area and they are not up to the best levels of Qness. There are quite a few good ones in the Houston Metro area, but, luckily, since starting this thread, I haven't been sentenced to visit Houston and endure the traffic. I have to go to or through Austin as is, and that might be worse. Last time I was there, a few weeks back, it took me an hour and 15 minutes to go 5 miles on the interstate AND there were no wrecks. And some think we don't need more highways???? WTF????

But Q joints are like women, some like one type and some like another, and, like women, some days they're great, and some days they're not.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gato.....good info.....and I agree with your last statement wholeheartedly!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato is spot on w/ his assessment of 'good Q' south of Houston. A few spots are decent, but I have yet to find any that are great, AND I cook Q and am constantly looking. I will try Mustang Creek based on what I've read on this thread.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I just found this and I'm very impressed. I'll read some more to make sure I don't retread when offering my opinions.

Too bad this I caught this a week after DSC. There are a couple just south of the convention center worth a try: Off the Bone and Baby Back Shack.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Little doubt that Austin is the epicenter of Texas, if not world, Q. Surrounded by Lockhart, Luling, Giddings, Taylor, Elgin the majority of, what I call, Texas BarBQ shrines are to be found. I tend to qualify Q as Roadside or in a city or town.
While I'm sure that there are roadside joints that serve first quality, I've yet to find one. There used to be a little trailer set up on Hwy. 6 north of Hempstead, as I recall, that served up excellent brisket, think it was run by a retired judge. A couple of observations: as you get south of Interstate 10 quality of
Q goes down and quality of Mexican food goes up. Also as places prosper they tend to outgrow the ability to produce top flight BarBQ. Example Kruez's in Lockhart used to be world class 30-40 years ago only fair now in my opinion. South of Houston on 59 is pretty weak, Mustang Creek is fair to good, with really good chicken, as I stated earlier. On down 59 where 77 goes south there are some decent places. A place on the South side of the road just before the turn to Tivoli on 239 there a spot with a black and white pig out front (think it something like Annies or Patty's). Pretty good roadside. in Rockport there is a little shack on the East side of the Road. Probably 8' X 12' that puts out very high quality brisket. Mac's in Rockport puts out some good Q. But the highest quality Q I've found has been around and in Austin. There are some truly great places in Houston. Don't get to Dallas much but I'd bet there are some very good spots there

Mark Twain

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lawdog, have you tried Hatfield's in Rockport ? Or Mumfords in Victoria ?

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't tried either one. Is Hatfields the place in Fulton on the east side of 35?

Mark Twain