THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Best Damn BBQ joints in Texas or anywhere.......
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 29

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Damn BBQ joints in Texas or anywhere....... Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I hear that. There are some TV shows on cable coming out of Canada with excellent subject matter but with corny writers like that. Makes you wonder if these idiots all go to the same school. However, I just watched one about BBQ joints and BBQ's history which except for the corny narration was great and kept me watching almost to the end. They made me laugh when they mentioned the McRib sandwich and said real BBQ people call that Faux Cue.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone heard of Stiles Switch in Austin? Someone needs to check it out. Maybe it's just some Food Critic's brother-in-law.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/...les-switch/16537285/

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Reviewed by me in this thread (#54). In addition, on my rec, another ARer visited it and found it to be very good. Excellent Q in new/old Louis Mueller style (one of my favorites).

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Anyone know of a small BBQ joint in Dallas near a bus station just northwest a bit from downtown Commerce Street? It may have been on the corner of Elm and Griffin. They don't have a website and there is just one small sign on a post on a 3-4 story building with a mall in the basement. We found it by following the smoke smell to the west end of the mall. The owner is Korean. Sorry. I can't remember the name. But, the brisket and sausage was very good. Any help appreciated. We'd like to go back there.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Do use alder for smoking my salmon and kokanee, but as the man said, that ain't Q.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Custombolt

The closest joint I know to Griffen & Elm would be Sonny Bryan's - West End, or their little one underground near Fountain Place. I don't know any BBQ Korean connection in that area.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kensco. It wasn't Sunny Bryan's. I remember one other small sign on the outside post of the building that had something to do with football. Oh well. Certainly not worth a special trip.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
We've been to the Daytona Pig Stand in Florida on Route 95 near the Harley-Davidson dealership a few times and the food was averaging around an 8 out of 10. Décor was rustic and smelled nice and smoky with ice cold beer in the fridge inside the door. No micro brews, nothin' fancy but clean enough. The mac and cheese was boring.

one of us
posted Hide Post
So on Wednesday, I had to go to Ft. Worth to feed my collecting Jones (Mexican Republics in this case) and combined that with meeting a fellow ARer, Catfish391, for lunch and to buy a gun from him.

My Q buddy and I met him at....

#80)Angelo's Barbecue, 2533 White Settlement Rd., Ft. Worth, Texas. Angelo's is not the best but may well be the best known Q joint in Ft. Worth. It was the everyday hangout of Amon Carter Jr. back in the day. I'd like to give it a better score, but I've got to call 'em as they are. My overall score B.

We met Catfish391 and we ordered from the menu. Catfish made frequent use of that dreaded four letter word....DIET.....so he restricted himself to a single sandwich. OTOH, my buddy and I ordered 2 pounds of ribs, 2 pounds of brisket, sliced thick, and a pound of sausage.

All were decently edible, none were outstanding.

The brisket was dead tender but had no real flavor profile. It and the ribs are testaments to the old fashioned way of hickory barbecuing letting the smoke do the work. It makes for a decent bite but is simply not competitive with the more modern prep and cooking methods.

My friend and I both thought the ribs were okay at best. Not bad, just not memorable.

The sausage was quite salty, not too fatty, but the salt content was too much to call them good IMO.

The best was the Q sauce, which was a thinner tomato based sauce with some excellent spice flavors. I liked it and the meat could certainly use it.

Interesting place and worthy of a visit for the old time feel (used to have sawdust on floor until the health dept shut that down), but not really for the food. However the large frosty mugs of Budwieser would help the experience.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For those who want to explore the DFW Q scene, here is an article which covers most of it but leaves out Woody Creek in W. FW, which is certainly worthy both of mention and a visit.

DFW Q

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gato
I was with you till you got to the Budweiser. I can't stand the stuff and generally assume that people with a relatively sophisticated pallette shun the stuff.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh well, I like Budweiser. I prefer many other beers, Samuel Adams and Yuengling, among them, but Bud is certainly an acceptable drink especially with something like Q.

I'll put my palette against most and to assume that because you don't like something makes other's preferences somehow inferior, is pretty arrogant IMO.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gotta stand w/ Gato on this. The Red,White and Blue in a bottle is golden nectar as fas as my taste buds are concerned. Bud in a bottle goes great w/ GOOd Q. Those that know, don't need a 'fancy' beer to enjoy good Q. It's a/b the Q !
If someone does not like it , drink something else that your buds enjoy.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since Bud is owned by a Belgium/Brazilian company now, I'm not sure how Red, White, and Blue they remain. Having said that, my beer of choice is Bud Light Lime, followed by Coors, and Coors isn't very Red, White and Blue anymore; more Maple Leaf.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It wasn't my intent to appear arrogant or superior but in my travels I've noticed that Budweiser is much less popular today, probably due to a proliferation of other choices. I certainly don't care if anybody drinks it or not.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I used oak, I stripped the bark. Bark makes it taste bitter. It's good then, but a very different flavour. The oak is a bit stronger and I like it.

Mesquite is just about as good and easier.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I used to use small pieces of cherry lumber over Kingford charcoal for brisket and steaks in my small 22 inch barrel grille/smoker. The flavor was excellent. A cabinet maker had sold me a bunch of varied cut offs and warps that ran out this spring. He passed away and the son sold everything.

posted Hide Post
Had lunch at Woody Creek in west Fort Worth on Gatogordo's recommendation. He was spot on, had a great sliced sandwich and my buddy said the ribs were fantastic. Thanks Gato

Posts: 36 | Location: DFW, Texas | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CATFISH391:
Had lunch at Woody Creek in west Fort Worth on Gatogordo's recommendation. He was spot on, had a great sliced sandwich and my buddy said the ribs were fantastic. Thanks Gato

Damn, I don't know how that happened with my unsophisticated palette handicap. Big Grin

Glad you enjoyed it, hope we can get together again for lunch or some shooting sometime.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can probably skip Euless Main BBQ, Gato. It used to be extremely good if you like a traditional dry rub, and it is all you can eat, but about 10 years ago they went way downhill. I don't know if they changed ingredients or cuts or what. Still its just a few blocks north of 183, easy to get to if you are headed that way.

On the other hand, across the street is the Texas Grill. We went there one Friday because of a random flyer. It noted live music n Friday starting at 7, with the Texas Playboys. I din't pay much attention, but i also noticed some pics on the wall of Bob Wills and his band. Then the band got on stage, and there was an 80 year old woman slappin the bass like a pro. Thats when it dawned on me, that was Louise Rowe! I had to run home and get my bass for her to autograph. Unfortunately I have to monitor jobs on Friday nights now and can't get up there, but I do recommend the joint for the massive chicken fried steaks and the music.

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Since BBQ and mac go so well together, what I'd like to know is, which restaurants that serve decent quality food also have good mac and cheese? Most restaurant mac we've tried through the years was average at best. Some were just awful, pasty with no cheese flavor. FWIW, Baby Blues in Venice California is decent stuff. CB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Q and mac and cheese....hmmmmm.....a combination I am not familiar with. It's not very common in Texas, but some places serve mac and cheese as a side. I don't dislike it, but mac and cheese is way down my on list of approved eats so I am not a good person to ask. If the Q is any good, then why bother with mac and cheese would be my first thought?

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am headed for TX to hunt deer/hog/turkey in a couple weeks. I am staying halfway in Monahans TX. Is there a good BBQ place there?
I searched the forum without a hit

Mark

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've never eaten there, so take this as a "reading between the lines" guess of what is available.

Apparently there are only 2 in town, Pappy's and Fred's. Pappy's made the 2008 Texas Monthly's Best in Texas list but, based on current reviews, including by Daniel Vaughn, the TM Q reviewer, who is usually dead on, it has really gone down hill. I'd rate it as hit and miss (mostly miss these days) at best. Based on that, I'd try Fred's but I want to stress that this might be the best of 2 poor choices. You won't really know until you try it. Have you considered steak? Smiler Good luck.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could be the guinea pig and try Fred's
I am sure I have had worse.

Mark

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just back from Tucson, AZ. Ate some good BBQ at Brushfire. Brisket and sticky ribs B+. BBQ beans A-

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What are sticky ribs?

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you will be in monahans, Pody's is nearby in pecos. Its a mesquite smoke and the sauce is super hot, if you like that sort of thing. Me, I don't care for mesquite.

There is (was?) a local small scale chain in West Odessa called Garibaldy's Tacos, best barbacoa you can get without the authentic diarhea bonus. Just about the same drive from monahans.

Christine's BBQ is in kermit, a little closer, might be worth hitting up on jam night for some beer, blues and barbecue.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was trying to get some essential grocery shopping done the other night while my wife was out of town. By chance I grabbed a bag of Walmart's Great Value Teriyaki flavored Beef Jerky. Mega Pack, 9 ounces cost $6.98 which is cheap for jerky. At any rate, I really like the stuff, it has a sort of barbecue flavor to it. Only drawback is it has an odd aroma but tastes great. Try it, I think you'll like it.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's probably ginger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who's parents live in Kermit. His mother thinks Christine's is a good place to get your nose broken.

Mark

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking that might depend on where you poked your nose......

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Clark:
I have a friend who's parents live in Kermit. His mother thinks Christine's is a good place to get your nose broken.

Mark

That's West Texas atmosphere.

You realize they do allow goldwings to park on the pavement now, right?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I ended up at Pappy's. It a couple hundred yards from the hotel. The staff was friendly, not busy at all at 6pm on a Thursday.
Ordered brisket, hot link, slaw and beans. Brisket was fair and a little chewy, link was missing it's hot. Beans from a can with a few peppers tossed in.
The girls at the hotel desk said it is better for lunch when the meats have not been in the warmer all day
The discription of hit and miss may be accurate.

Not a bbq but the hotel desk (always trust a big girl when it comes to eats) said in Monahans the best place is the Jazz Cafe.

Mark

one of us
posted Hide Post
Too bad, Fred's was less than a mile away. Sounds like it couldn't have been worse. Frowner

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
I left Monday about 6:30 AM bound for Giddings, both to meet with a fellow ARer, M16, and to try a new to me Q joint, Giddings Meat Market.

However, while rolling through Tyler, I was thinking, "I need to stop at McDs or somewhere to get something to take these anti-inflammatory pills." They don't sit well on an empty stomach.

I'd been looking for a decent stopping place for a while and WHOA, I was driving by Stanley's about 8:30 and the sign said "OPEN". That was enough for me, I made the block and pulled in.

This was my 4th time to try to eat at Stanley's, all prior efforts failing in that goal. First time a local oil man talked me/us out of Stanley's to drive some miles South to eat at the Purple Pig (previously reviewed, #31). That was a bad decision. Then it was closed, then they had run out of both beef and brisket just at closing, and on Monday, they would only serve brisket early because the ribs wouldn't be ready until around 11 when they open for lunch. However, any port in a storm, so I ordered a pound of brisket, sliced thick to go from.....

#81) Stanley's, 525 S. Beckham Ave. (155S), Tyler, Tx. Texas Monthly rating 4.5/5. My rating, based on brisket alone, B+++

Stanley's reputation is based on their ribs. However, the brisket was as fine a breakfast as one could wish for.

The young man at the cash register was really friendly, a pleasure to talk with. He told me the sad news about no ribs, but threw in a few extra ounces of brisket to make up for my grief.
I was really impressed by the sign on the cash register saying, more or less, "Order brisket your way, fat, no fat, lots of bark, trimmed, etc." Not a direct quote, but you get the idea. That sign comes from people who understand Q and brisket.

I ordered fatty brisket, with all the bark they could deliver. It was truly excellent.

Sauce was a homemade, tomato based, slight vinegar tones, somewhat thin, very good.

I hope to go back and try their famous ribs before long so I can give a complete review. However, if they didn't have ribs, the brisket (cut thick, fat side, with bark) is worth the 2 hour drive. Highly recommended.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
So, about 3 1/2 hours later, I called M16, and told him that I was going to be able to get to Giddings about a half hour earlier than we had planned. He said that would be fine and he would meet me about 12:20. So, I pulled into park and there he was, leaning on the door frame and grinning. We howdied and shook and went inside to try.....

#82) City Meat Market, 101 W. Austin (US290), Giddings, Texas. Texas Monthly rating 4.25/5. My overall rating B++

City Meat Market must be doing something right, they've been in business here for over 70 years.
This is about as classic an old time Texas Q joint as you can find.

I ordered for both of us (after M16 saw what I ordered, he surrenderd Big Grin ) and I got 2 pounds of ribs, 2 pounds of brisket, and 2 pounds of sausage, chased with iced teas.

It was a very close call between the ribs and brisket. I think I slightly favored the brisket, but the ribs were very good as well. Both darn goood Q. Based just on these 2, the rating would have been a really close call on an extra plus, but the 3rd meat, shut that out.

The sausage, which is supposed to be one of their specialties, was quite disappointing. REALLY overcooked, and had a bit more sage than I'd like, with less pepper. But, I understand that my preferences for hot exceed most's tastes. I tried one and so did M16 and we left the rest to be taken home for later consumption, maybe by the dogs.

Sauce was good, homemade, with a good flavor.

Well worthy of a visit, and I'm thinking we just caught a bad batch of sausage. The two main meats were very good, only exceeded by the pleasure of the conversation. I think I did most of the talking, so my opinion might be biased. Wink

Afterwards, we completed our business and we both hope to see each other again before long. BTW if you want to shoot a helluva whitetail, high fenced, get in touch with M16.

From there, it was on to San Antone to pick up a gun I had bought on gunbroker, a NIB Baer Tactical 1911, 1 1/2 inch group. A real pain in the ass pistol. I was pretty high on them, but the breakin is making me change my opinions. Buy one used would be my advice.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
How not to get Q, or why would anyone wait in line for 5 or 6 hours to get Q......

After the above trip, I drove N to Austin, enjoying the unique pleasure of Austin's rush hour on I35....took me an hour to go 5 miles and this is without any major problems, like a wreck. I don't understand why people would live there, but I'm a country boy at heart.

At any rate, I had arranged for my son to get up the next morning, wait in line at Franklin's and buy PLENTY of Q, to bring back to his place, so he, his sister, and I could, at last, try the fabled Franklin's Q. I might add, the only reason I stayed was for this, otherwise, I'd have skirted Austin and headed home the day before.

Adam got in line just after 9 on Tuesday, reputedly one of their slow days. I called and asked him what it looked like....he said there were about 60-70 people in front of him....waiting for the opening at 11. Geesh.

Called back at about 10 til 11 and asked him for an update. He said they had just come out, told him he would get served about 1:30 and, by then, it was doubtful if there would be any ribs left. Double Geesh. We're talking Q here, not gold for half price....I told him to come on home. If he'd stayed, he would have been in line 4 1/2 hours before getting any Q. I wouldn't wait for the second coming 4 1/2 hours. Amazing, Q must be good, but can it be that good? I'm going to pre-order some in the coming months and find out. The only way I'll get any, that's obvious.

My daughter was disappointed, she and Adam had their mouths set on Q (genetic, no doubt), so we went on N. Lamar to Stile's Switch (previously reviewed, #54), and had brisket, beef and pork ribs, along with a couple of beers. Tried a new one to me, Guns and Oil Lager on draught but settled on a couple of Shiner Wild Hare Pale Ales for Adam and I. After having my only 2 meals the day before being Q, I was thinking, "I'll just sample a taste or two." Yeah, right, with that quality of Q sitting in front of me, I imitated Robinson Crusoe, and dug in. Q was fine, pork ribs slightly better that the excellent beef ribs and brisket, but the crust on the beef ribs was amazing. Had a fine family lunch, kids went back to studying for finals, and I rolled it back home to NE Texas.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Austin used to be great, but not so much now. I35 and MOPAC are nightmares and anything good seems to be overpriced or too busy. I liked County Line, Ironworks and the Stallion back in the day though. Sad to say but I like Houston better now.