Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

GPS HELP Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Need a new GPS! The old Garmin sucks. Took me through Manhattan during a trip back from PA. TOTALLY UNNECESSARY!!!

Don't need a commercial use one just a passenger vehicle model.

What do you recommend?

Thanx!
Hip

Posts: 1822 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Well, I just use google maps off my cell phone. It's been pretty reliable. You can use voice to say, "Google, take me home."

I'm a desk top PC girl and often just look up the address on google maps before departing and send a link text to my cell phone and go from there. So if you have a 'smart phone', you really do not need another device.

You can also just ask google maps to find restaurants, places, etc via voice and it will show you what's out there.

~Ann

Posts: 19149 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
Need a new GPS! The old Garmin sucks. Took me through Manhattan during a trip back from PA. TOTALLY UNNECESSARY!!!

Don't need a commercial use one just a passenger vehicle model.

What do you recommend?

Thanx!
Hip

So why did you follow the directions.

I use a Tom Tom, Google maps and paper maps.

I do not just relied on GPS.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
All GPS, regardless whether it is an app or hardware, should be used with caution.

We go to all sorts of places in the desert, and using a GPS suggestions can get one in real trouble.

There is a deserted village in the desert.

A few house were built, and then the area was turned into an industrial area, so the houses were abandoned.

Youtube idiots call it the GHOST village, and some actually claim to see ghosts there.

I have been to it, so know where it was and how to get to is.

It is 300 meters from an unpaved road one can drive any vehicle on.

Hessa and her friends wanted to go see it, so several families wanted to come along too.

Just out of interest, I was home and put that in my GPS to see the directions.

I couldn't believe the results!

Directions from my house were awful.

And the last few kilometers were through some bad sand dunes.

I called everyone who was coming, and told them NOT to follow their GPS directions.

gave them, what later they called Saeed GPS, directions.

It actually was very easy, two main highways, then one junction, two kilometers on paved road, and one kilometer on unpaved road, and 300 meters of sand.

The GPS would have taken us through several highways, and minor roads, then several kilometers through sand!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not just in the desert…we do work at hundreds of locations, many which show up on no map. Surest way is to locate a nearby cross street and work from that, map programs gave gotten several of us “confused”,

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not sure where you were trying to go, but I got through NYC from points south to Connecticut many times with paper maps.

I keep an old Rand McNally Road Atlas behind the seat. Never needs batteries.

There has been a Garmin GPS bungied to the steering column since the speedometer quit working.

Everything electronic on the truck has failed in the 30 years I've had it.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14370 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions, but really all I want to do is upgrade the app. 10yr.old unit that I have.

Hip

Posts: 1822 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gone are the days of the hand drawn map for directions. Down here we still get directions from the old-timers like," well, you go west a few miles until you get to the old Hefner place, then look for the old creek bed that dried up in 57; you'll come to the ranch directly." Or my personal favorite from when I worked for another shop + needed directions to the job + we had radios in our trucks. My buddy Snow came on the air
+ told me to go down Country Club Rd. until I got to the corner where we saw those 2 dogs hung up about a month ago + take a left.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was out on my dual sport the other day going down one of our fire lanes.

When I came up to two box trucks going fairly slow.

They were from a city about an hour away. they had a out of town heating company name on.

Don't know where they were heading put it wasn't a road I would take a box truck down.

Posts: 19359 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All these gadgets come along, no-body knows how to hunker.
You always hunkered down, and drew a map in the dirt, with a handy stick, or finger if you had to.
Another lost art form. Frowner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd never go somewhere if there was no dirt! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That would be an indication that you were someplace that you did not need to be. Wink

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Apple Maps. I think it is better than Google Maps. (Some of my friends use Waze.)

I was using Apple Maps once for a location that I didn't really need a GPS for. Apple Maps was going to send me a way that I knew would be longer, so I blew it off. I stacked-up behind a traffic accident shortly there after and spent the next hour in stop-and-go traffic. If Apple sends me a different route now, I take it.

My old Garmin GPS is gathering dust somewhere in the garage.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the general impression that cellphone maps come from cellphone towers. If the phone is out of range from towers, it has no map. This is the case with my phone, don't know about others. I use "GPS TEST" to get coordinates when out of range from towers, then consult a paper map from there.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14370 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, they damned sure ain't infallible. When I took my wife to a DRS apt a few years ago + she insisted on using the GPS instead of just asking for directions (the man's way)[actually truth be told, that is not the man's way as we generally don't ask for directions] we kept getting directed to a vacant lot behind a hospital. I finally blew my stack + said, we will go into that hospital clinic + ask directions; low + behold, that was where we needed to go in the 1st place.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wandered around downtown Los Angeles once with two (real) geniuses in the car consulting a smart phone and GPS, respectively. At length I got out a paper map and drove to the destination...

TomP

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I use WAZE on my cell phone.. hasn't let me down or got me lost yet.
Google maps and apple map which i think uses google, takes me on sore really strange routes sometimes which is why i switched to WAZE.

Lots of active users too that notify you where police, obstructions, or issues are on your route.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1961 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
I wandered around downtown Los Angeles once with two (real) geniuses in the car consulting a smart phone and GPS, respectively. At length I got out a paper map and drove to the destination...

WHAT IS A PAPER MAP? Confused Big Grin Roll Eyes

Hip

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I keep a couple in my truck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hipshoot:
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:

WHAT IS A PAPER MAP? Confused Big Grin Roll Eyes

Hip

Something carried in a plastic bag when there aren't any of the slippy plastic-coated maps that backpackers carry...

TomP