New
Find
Notify
Tools

Avoiding the Political Forum Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
I have noticed that some people are drawn to it like a moth to a flame.

Not sure if I am in the minority or not, but I don't see the point.

If you are right leaning you aren't going to change someone on the left's mind, if you are left leaning you probably will never make an impact on someone on the right.

So why get into the pit in the first place?

Is there some kind of draw that I am not taking into account?

I have two coworkers in my office, one is a staunch Democrat but not a liberal. He's in his mid-60's, Black, and had a father, and served a 20 year career in the military. He likes guns, owns a ton of them but doesn't shoot much anymore.

The other is a Hispanic woman in her mid-30's, she shoots all the time is a Republican but only because she likes guns, and doesn't believe in killing unborn children.

We don't talk about politics except on the perifphery, and it makes us happy. When we venture into it, we generally do not get along.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
ive sucessfully avoided the political forum... occasionally ill browse it,, but laugh when i do...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2824 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
ive sucessfully avoided the political forum... occasionally ill browse it,, but laugh when i do...

Exactly. Same for me. I've noticed that the Political Crater is like a large, dark, slick and slimy hole. Because it has no sides, once you inadvertently slip/slide in, or willingly choose to drag your sorry ass to there, you can't leave or get out. rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Shouldn't be in the political forum so I would not have to look at it.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We created that forum to make sure all the nasty stuff stays in one place.

It is like every home having a toilet.

It can be an outhouse with a smelly, long drop hole, or a lovely bathroom looked after by a loving mother.

What you have to remember is, you go there to do one thing only, you wash your hands before you get out.

Some of the bathrooms I have been too have wonderful reading material, one does his job, and forgets time and spends more time in there.

Our political forum has some nasty, unsavory characters.

They stir everything up, no regards or respect to the many respected political brains participating on that forum.

If I had the power, I would BAN these instantly! jumping

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
You enjoy it Saeed. Big Grin. It reminds me of an interview with Salvador Dali several years ago after he designed the Mexico City Post Office. When asked why he designed it the way he did he replied, "Dali love confusion!"

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
What I find interesting is, both sides complain about something, which they are all guilty of.

It is OK for them and their side to do it, but they object vehemently if the other side does it.

Fascinating look into the minds of individual who switch their brains off when to come to the political party they support.

Met a man at a friend's house years ago for dinner.

He was a member of the British government, and had a bit of stiff upper lip.

He ask me what do I do for a living.

I told him I work for GOD.

We spent the rest of the evening discussing every religion on earth.

Eventually I told him I cannot understand any religion.

He was surprised, as I work for GOD.

I said I worked for the Government Of Dubai!

You should have seen the look on his face.

Our host still tells people about that!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I logged on the PF a couple of times, never again.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Life's too short to argue over politics or religion, especially on line!

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1541 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ARPF is one of my secret vices, like a bad wreck that I can't take my eyes off of, even though I know I shouldn't look...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14332 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I totally agree. Hypocrisy runs rampant for both parties, just one more swing of the pendulum per secession. Me personally, don't find arguments entertaining but obviously many do. O.K. one last throwing of gas onto the self-righteous flames, " Those who think they are right are very annoying to those of us who do." Wink

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stand in the middle, duck when the pendulum swings by...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14332 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
ARPF is one of my secret vices, like a bad wreck that I can't take my eyes off of, even though I know I shouldn't look...

There could be worse ways to waste time. I could be watching network TV.

Helps keep me out of the bars and off the streets or perusing a "what bullet for elk at 10,000 ft. elevation, with a 223 Rem." thread.

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I confess repeated entry into the PF. I can't explain why, and try to avoid it more often than not, especially right now. And no, no one ever changed his opinion based on anything said or read in that dark place.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
I confess repeated entry into the PF. I can't explain why, and try to avoid it more often than not, especially right now. And no, no one ever changed his opinion based on anything said or read in that dark place.

Mind over matter!

As long as you don't mind, it don't matter,

and........

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really find it a stupid, ridiculous place. Yet, I find myself there on occasion which is convincing to myself
that I need to screw my head on a little straighter.

What I find the most laughable is that many of the biggest critics, who had so much hate and vitriol towards Trump,
got their wishes by him losing the election. However, they continue to post and complain at the same frequency as they did pre-election.

95% of the posters are 100% partisan so it really is useless for debate. A thread inevitably turns into personal attacks. Take a look at the "Rural Democrat" thread for a real laugh and proof of what I say. You can see the poster there in full form, disagreeing with everyone, asking for a debate, yet cry foul when he is contradicted...

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's like picking at a scab.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
It's like picking at a scab.

Dave

Funny stuff.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, that was a good reference point.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
My typical progression when I open AR is to start with African Hunting, travel, African hunt reports, discounted hunts. I will then hit NA hunting at times, SA hunting, then bird hunting. That will be followed by the DR and custom rifle forums. I will skim the most recent topics on the pistol, self defense, and shotgun sub forums. I’ll his this one and also see about the cars and 4x4. I always will check the classifieds. At times, I check aviation, as it has always been a dream.

Sometimes I would do the same, but in reverse order.

I checked into the PF a time or few. All I recall is seeing this Edmond guy all over the page. I clicked and saw he had a ridiculous post count. It may have even surpassed Saeed’s! He would also seem to get drunk on vodka or something and post a blatant political item in a sub forum that had zero connection to his topic.

Thereafter, I stayed away from PF.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote