New
Find
Notify
Tools

watch out electric hookups Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Lester Brooks
posted

This short almost cost me my Motorhome. Watch what you connect as the inside of unit could be poorly wired in China. I was unplugging a unit and a flash almost got me. I check everything own the wall plug and it was fine. I found the problem by taken the Phillips apart

Posts: 89 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 December 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad you were there to catch it! I had a wall switch in the bathroom short not long ago. It was one of those that has a built-in night light. I too was there when the short occurred. Hate to think had I not.

Posts: 3646 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lester Brooks
posted Hide Post
I helped in a RV park for electric problems. I always check for polarity with my tools and you could find people would try to short around a meter. A large motorhome was parked in a site and a lady came over and told me that the man had gotten shocked and his dog got shocked getting out of the motorhome. When that happens I knew that there had to be short somewhere. After about an hour of checking the RV electric post was OK. I told the person that his cord was shorted someplace. Inside the 50 amp heavy cord on motorhomes my meter shows something was bad. The man didn't want to cut into the factory cord plug, but I insisted and a wire inside the molded wires inside had come loose. 120 volts was going thru the ground wire to the motorhome. The large 4 prong plug for the post end had to be replaced. His German Police dog didn't want to go back into the motorhome after he was shocked.

Posts: 89 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 December 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Great information! Thanks for sharing! tu2

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Some dogs have more sense than some people. reminds me of the Benjamin Franklin quote," If a cat lands on a hot stove he will never sit on a hot stove ever again,......or a cold one."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote