Find
Notify
Tools

Firewood Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I want to buy a firewood processor
Anybody have one - pro's & cons .
I consume @ 20 cords a year to heat my shop and my house with a wood boiler .

I would probably try and sell a few cords here and there to offset the cost

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1293 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob, what's a firewood processor? I have a 105 acre woodlot, and burn maybe 7 cords for the house. Chainsaw and log splitter work fine....don't know about a processor.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
you want one of these then ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdXzaGFkWfU

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a portable set up.Here in the Catskills there was a very nice stationary setup near Monticello. Unfortunately that fell apart from poor management.
Problem now in the Catskills is finding wood !! With a very stagnent economy nothing is happening, no construction which is a major source of wood .Many loggers have have found other work.
Biebs' 7 cords can be done as he does.Larger amouunts require some equipment. I was somewhat involved with the Monticello operation and it was a very nice one but a steady source of wood is necessary. And that could be a full time job !
There are now some stupid regs in a futile attemt to stop bugs near the border. Thins like the ash borer ,though not a big problem here yet , can have a big effect.
Our best growing crop now is the Jap Knotweed .Been spreading fast and is everywhere.You can eat the leaves and roots and makes excellent honey.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Bob, what's a firewood processor? I have a 105 acre woodlot, and burn maybe 7 cords for the house. Chainsaw and log splitter work fine....don't know about a processor.

Jon , firewood processors can produce 1-3

cords per hour when set up right .

Better quality ones , that take wood 18in in dia . Are not cheap and cost @ $ 25,000

You need a good supply of logs and equiptment to feed the processor

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1293 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my area , good seasoned hardwood is going for $200/ cord . I know guys that sell over 100 cords per year

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

One of Us
Picture of Singleshot03
posted Hide Post
Muzza, that is a beautiful machine to watch. I love how it splits the wood - much quicker than a sledge hammer and wedges.

Jim

Posts: 1493 | Location: Cincinnati  | Registered: 28 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder what size chain is on the blade that cuts the wood? It's really ripping through that hardwood...wonder how long it will go before sharpening?

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
www.baileysonline.com

Here's a start Biebs .Something a little different from rifles ! coffee

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I wonder what size chain is on the blade that cuts the wood? It's really ripping through that hardwood...wonder how long it will go before sharpening?

That's usually 404 harvester chain and the longevity is directly related to how much dirt is on the logs

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have 2 Husky saws, and a Stihl 066 for felling sawlogs. I don't know how long that machine could cut like that before the blade started to dull out and overheat.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have used wood stoves for heating for over 45 years. I installed a couple of 'Consolidated Dutchwest gas units a few years back as it was convenient to just flip the switch to get a fire from a lookalike stove. I keep my wood one hooked just as well.One never knows. There is no shortage of wood here in central Tx.Oh yeah Biebs,the Stihl is top of the line.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote