Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

August 3, 1981 Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Where were you 34 years ago today at 8:00am?

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sitting in Mrs. Testerman's seventh grade English class.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jump school at Ft. Benning, GA. Probably doing PT in the wood chips and sawdust.

Not something that I'm likely to forget.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
on the way to work, Offutt AFB.

I remember looking up the re-enlistment bonuses in 1981. It was a a multiplier of monthly salary from (0 to 4) x years of re-enlistment (4 or 6).

ATC was 4. so 4 X 4 year = 16 months pay

Posts: 6385 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, was I the only one?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
quote:
August 3, 1981

Well... I was not sitting on an airport tarmac.

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Macs B
posted Hide Post
Wasn't that the day the Air Traffic Controllers got fired for illegally walking off the job?

Macs B
U.S. Army Retired
Alles gut!

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 07 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, Reagan gave them three days to come back. I was one of 35 out of 276 the day before

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
If I remember correctly, the controllers wanted a shorter (32 hour ?) work week and a $10,000 boost in salary, a huge sum in 1981. I thought giving them a "go back to work or you're fired" ultimatum was a great move. It was also a tremendous chance for lots of people who really wanted a job. The government hired hundreds of replacements, paid them while they trained, and gave them a job when they were finished.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it was the equivalent of sandpapering a Lion's ass with a handful of cockleburrs...

Evidently, one response was not sufficient. A comparatively short time later, Postal employees got the same offer, with much the same results.

To date, we have not had anybody want to take the third bite from that apple.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
I was in Camden Missouri when this happened, I think I was in the5 grade going on to the 6 th grade.
It was our vacation visiting my dad's side of the family. Seems to me that we had to fly all over the place just to get back home.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3070 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I remember it very well as well as applauding Reagan's handling of the matter. I'm open shop + have never had any use for the new unions,especially when they think they can hold the public hostage with their demands. I miss Ronnie. The only drawback that I recall was that a few years back all of them became ready for retirement at the same time with not enough new blood to fill the void. Seems like they worked it out though.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A guess would be coming off the Graveyard shift at the S-O

Posts: 75 | Location: Maine | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheif,for you as a fellow human being,I hope you are well. Politics are merde.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, guess again. The new ATC union is worse than this one ever thought of being. Totally corrupt. The inmates run that asylum.

one of us
posted Hide Post
On top of the world.

Running twelve rigs in West Texas. All twelve booked out for the next year and more. Making more money than I ever imagined I could.

Six months later (February 1982) the music stopped. Majors started cancelling drilling programs. Highly leveraged Independents started turning belly-up.

WTI began falling from $33 a barrel to $15, and we never saw $33 oil again for almost 22 years.

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Dutch,just MAYBE we need a president with Reagen's balls to fix this.So far on the adjenda I don't see any prommising subjects.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Well Dutch,just MAYBE we need a president with Reagen's balls to fix this.So far on the adjenda I don't see any prommising subjects.

Really? You don't see a candidate with balls like Reagan to do what's necessary?

I know of one very ballsy candidate that's been telling the PC crowd to "Stuff It" at every turn.

lol

one of us
posted Hide Post
1980-1984 the most exciting years during my lifetime

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote