THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Texans: How much rain did you receive in the latest flooding?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Texans: How much rain did you receive in the latest flooding? Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I know quite a few folks that post on here own or lease land in Texas and I'm curious how much rain they received in the past 3 or 4 days. The place where my house is located received about 8", my place in Navarro County (50 miles south of Dallas)received over 17" in one 24 hour period. Naturally a lot of areas are flooded, I have one deer stand and feeder in a creek bottom and yesterday the water was about 3 feet up the deer stand...and it is on 8 foot legs. The feeder (and accompanying camera) is about 5 feet under water, if it is still there.
Interstate 45 was shut down in several locations and the service road near Corsicana is still under water.
For those of you that might own land away from where you live (or lease, I suppose) and are interested in knowing how much rain you receive, there is an app called "FarmLog" that allows you to enter your property information and you will receive an alert if it rains on your place and shows how much rain has fallen. It is free and it is pretty accurate, sort of answers the wondering-if-it-rained at the deer lease question.

So, how much rain did you get?

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Karl,I am in the country just outside Liberty Hill;we got 6" yesterday. Georgetown just to the east of us got 7".Sounds like San Saba got a bunch which is good as our aquifer refills from that area. Lakes Travis + Buchanan so far have only raised 12".

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We received 6.75" over the weekend. My fishing pond is full. FM road was flooded and we had to take the long route out. It is good, but supposed to have heavy rain starting Friday again.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Even today, 5 days after the rain stopped, some Navarro County roads are still closed due to washouts. Some schools are still closed because buses are unable to run but neighboring counties have sent men and equipment to help with road repairs so roads might open a lot sooner. My partner on a couple of places (Dr. Scott here on AR)managed to make it to one of our places today and said the road was barely passable in one direction and still washed out past our place. 3 to 6 inches of rain forecast for this weekend, I really, really hope not.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
About 10 miles from my house the official rain fall was measured at 21 inches.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My brother got over 10" near Giddings. I got about 5" north of Dallas; slow and steady.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yesterday (the 30th) we got an additional 4.5 inches. Looks like San Marcos got hit pretty hard with tornados as well.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like we got a little over 3" more Friday and yesterday, we have a 20 acre coastal hay field that had about 4" of water on it yesterday afternoon, the water washed the gravel off of the driveway to my cabin and wash the asphalt away from the 24" culvert at the road. I had to throw rocks and bricks in the washout in order to drive into the place.
County roads that washed out last weekend and were repaired during the week once again washed out.
I really wish it would dry out for a few days...

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got another 2" since Friday. Told my Great Grand Daughter that it would quit Sat. afternoon. She said no it won't Papaw and she was right. I haven't checked the gauge since I emptied it yesterday. Maybe another 2".

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What ever problems the rain causes still beats the hell out of the drought.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
NormanConquest: Whatever problems the rain causes still beats the hell out of the drought
I didn't believe that when I lived in Houston but now that I live west of I-35 I'll usually take all the rain I can get. Regarding rivers, lakes & aquifers in the Hill Country, they seem to be back to more normal levels. A spring fed creek on property I own between Fredericksburg & Harper (normally a pretty dry area) is gushing again. And more rain is expected.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We received about 10 inches total, not including today's effort. 6 1/2 plus 3 1/2 for round two.

Fla3006 is right, rain may be miserable, but extreme dry is unbearable for ranching and agriculture.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I try not to complain about too much rain but right now we have had enough for a little while. Yesterday,my wife called me and asked if I noticed our diesel fuel tank, I hadn't, but the front two legs were slowly sinking in the mud (where we live is black dirt), so...I put forks on my tractor and cut ruts up to the tank, raised the front and put 2x4's under the legs to spread the load. As I backed up to admire my handiwork, the back legs started slowly sinking in the mud and after about 10 seconds the tank tipped over backwards and broke the filler off of the top and proceeded to spill about 1/3 of a 400 gallon tank (that we just filled up less than a month ago)of diesel.
Also, the last round washed out the culvert at my hunting cabin (as well as washed out a bunch of county roads around it)pretty much takes 4 wheel drive to get in the driveway now.
I've had enough rain for a while but we are forecast to get 2 to 3 more inches tonight thru tomorrow.

Karl Evans

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
I try not to complain about too much rain but right now we have had enough for a little while. Yesterday,my wife called me and asked if I noticed our diesel fuel tank, I hadn't, but the front two legs were slowly sinking in the mud (where we live is black dirt), so...I put forks on my tractor and cut ruts up to the tank, raised the front and put 2x4's under the legs to spread the load. As I backed up to admire my handiwork, the back legs started slowly sinking in the mud and after about 10 seconds the tank tipped over backwards and broke the filler off of the top and proceeded to spill about 1/3 of a 400 gallon tank (that we just filled up less than a month ago)of diesel.
Also, the last round washed out the culvert at my hunting cabin (as well as washed out a bunch of county roads around it)pretty much takes 4 wheel drive to get in the driveway now.
I've had enough rain for a while but we are forecast to get 2 to 3 more inches tonight thru tomorrow.

Karl,
My situation is much like yours. Poetry is about 45 miles east of Dallas and we haven't had as much rain as you. We also have sandy soil. Our recycled asphalt road from the FM road to the house is a real mess. My fishing hole is full and that makes me happy. We are having a lot more deer passing through than the last 2 years.
More rain will make my road into the house more of a mess and overflow the fishing hole some more, but we expect no further damage.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
What ever problems the rain causes still beats the hell out of the drought.

Yeah, I bitch about the mud and the washed out driveways and roads and the flooded and ruined deer feeders and game cameras and the mini-grand canyon in my front pasture...but I've got green grass in November, and lots of it. The calves are gettin' fat. Better than a drought.

Karl Evans

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:

You should have bought light diesel fuel. Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato: It could have been much worse, the previous time I bought diesel it cost $2.89 per gallon, this time it was $1.82 per gallon so, I guess you could say I saved over $100 on the spill. Today, more rain predicted so I tried to move a gooseneck cattle trailer out of the pasture with my tractor, not too smart. Started out OK and then the trailer sunk half way to China and the tractor followed. So at the moment I have a cattle trailer buried up, a 4 wheel drive tractor sunk in the mud and a 3/4 ton Dodge 4wd stuck as well. Have I mentioned that I hate mud?
Waiting on my wife to get home to at least pull the truck out.

Karl Evans

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It could have been much worse, the previous time I bought diesel it cost $2.89 per gallon, this time it was $1.82 per gallon so, I guess you could say I saved over $100 on the spill.

That sounds like typical ranch "savings". Big Grin

The rest of the story sounds like a real goat rope. That's what happens when you don't wait for your wife to help. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx