Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

High end shooting centers Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Orlando just opened a high end shooting center. Shooters world.

5 ranges and hundred plus shooting lanes.

About the size of a supermarket.

$25-$30 an hr range fees.

I am impressed by the size and the capital invested.

I would not shoot around strangers so I will never uses this facility.

The customer service was very friendly but one person who was selling optics had no idea what a sig Romeo was and was unable to spell Romeo.

Very few hunting rifles and they were displayed in a spot where they were mainly for display and not for sale. The gun industry is handguns and tactical.

Would I personally invest in this business - no. So many strange people shooting - there will be accidents and suicides.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Mike,

There is a similar one in Fort Worth. It’s called Defender Outdoors. I imagine it’s similar in size. It has a simulation “shoot house,” many pistol ranges, indoor 100yd, member only area, and a large retail area. Like your place, it is very tactical in focus. I agree about shooting around strangers. I had a few hours to kill in Fort Worth and it made sense before eating BBQ. My private club rifle/pistol area is rarely occupied until just before deer season, but most of the guys are serious hand loaders.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
Mike,

There is a similar one in Fort Worth. It’s called Defender Outdoors. I imagine it’s similar in size. It has a simulation “shoot house,” many pistol ranges, indoor 100yd, member only area, and a large retail area. Like your place, it is very tactical in focus. I agree about shooting around strangers. I had a few hours to kill in Fort Worth and it made sense before eating BBQ. My private club rifle/pistol area is rarely occupied until just before deer season, but most of the guys are serious hand loaders.

It was just eye opening how irrelevant hunting firearms arms. There were dozen or so browning rifles and shotguns.

They were situated between browning safes and an electric chair replica in glass case. One would have to walk the rifle range to get someone to come open the case.

Gunsmithing was $90 an hour. Basically armorer level service.

I will go back in a few months on a weekend to see how crowded it is.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For people who have no other place to shoot they are a good thing.

A cousin of mine started the Scottsdale Gun Club a high end place for sure.

Shot there once as a freebie was able to shoot a 5.7 pistol and full auto carbine.

An interesting experience but I rather step out the back door and shoot on my own ranges.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is one near me in Colo Springs, though I believe smaller than those above.
Prices are crazy.
I do not like shooting indoors so won’t be shooting there.
And it seems mostly black gun/handgun focused.
The good news, more people have a place to shoot and hopefully are or will be 2A types.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
City folks be city folks. Most Hunting arms don’t have a rate of fire fast enough to be fun to shoot, strictly speaking. I’ve never been to an indoor shooting range, but imagine I want semi auto and lots of ammo. Now let’s get outside at Hunting distances and pistols grow cold. City folks want the latest fashion or movie trend. I want to be Jim Corbett. I’m all for shooting sports of any kind and wish them well it’s just not my cup of tea, brewed by the hill folk while I’m stalking the Bachelor of Powalgahr.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a Shooters World near me. It's $16.50/hour. It goes to 25 yards.

One place I hunt the range is usually 30 yards or less and I will go to Shooters World to sight in and practice. In the Phoenix area with urban sprawl we have to drive 35+ miles to shoot. And in summer even the AC is nice.

Big issue is black rifle guys rapid fire at 10 yards, a bit noisy teaches not to flinch. I get there early there's enough open lanes to put some space between us.

M

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I live in the country + have my own range w/ concrete tables at 25 yd. distances up to 100 yds.That's enough for me. I've been here a long time + so has my range. A few years ago some guy bought the next property + put a house right behind my backstop.I have always let folks come out here to shoot for free.Now I was concerned that if someone did something wrong that I would be liable (most likely so).So being a good neighbor I moved the range 180 degrees + put in a stock tank.Now some woman put up a horse barn right behind my new backstop.My range is in the valley + the barn is on the ridge but some folks are never satisfied .Maybe I'm not thinking clearly here but I am still under the allusion that I was here 1st.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had one open up in nearby Kingston NY recently.
https://www.safeshootny.com/

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Clark:
There is a Shooters World near me. It's $16.50/hour. It goes to 25 yards.

One place I hunt the range is usually 30 yards or less and I will go to Shooters World to sight in and practice. In the Phoenix area with urban sprawl we have to drive 35+ miles to shoot. And in summer even the AC is nice.

Big issue is black rifle guys rapid fire at 10 yards, a bit noisy teaches not to flinch. I get there early there's enough open lanes to put some space between us.

M

There are three outdoor ranges in the Phoenix area: Ben Avery, Usery Pass, and Phoenix Rod and Gun. I shoot several times per week at PRG; four times per week the high power range is reserved for 500 yard shooting. $90 a year and you can shoot all you want.

I go out to the desert to shoot beyond 500, but I am stunned how many guys drive 45 minutes to shoot a pistol when they can drive to a range.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Over the years I have shot at all those facilities. They nice ranges.
Most recently I have gone to the Joe Foss Range south of Buckeye.

Posts: 1223 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I had another AR member come up here from San Antonio to shoot a few rifles on my range for free. I did ask him however if it justified the gas expense. He said it sure did as down at his range in S.A. they charged by the rifle ,not by the time.Dirty pool IMO.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I live in the country + have my own range w/ concrete tables at 25 yd. distances up to 100 yds.That's enough for me. I've been here a long time + so has my range. A few years ago some guy bought the next property + put a house right behind my backstop.I have always let folks come out here to shoot for free.Now I was concerned that if someone did something wrong that I would be liable (most likely so).So being a good neighbor I moved the range 180 degrees + put in a stock tank.Now some woman put up a horse barn right behind my new backstop.My range is in the valley + the barn is on the ridge but some folks are never satisfied .Maybe I'm not thinking clearly here but I am still under the allusion that I was here 1st.

That is why the land I bought in CO borders BLM and Natl forest, with no motorized access (blocked by public land).

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still use it but I limit anyone else unless I know them pretty well + approve of their safety mindedness.One screw up could cost me dearly in these days of frivilous lawsuits.