Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zero Degrees This Morning Login/Join 
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we are looking into a rain water collection system. even with a hot dry climate it still rains occassionally. a big vet clinic nearby has had one for a few years and after a year it filled and has never gone dry yet.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
we are looking into a rain water collection system. even with a hot dry climate it still rains occassionally. a big vet clinic nearby has had one for a few years and after a year it filled and has never gone dry yet.

John,

This would be a good topic for the Prepping forum here.

~Ann

Posts: 19145 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
would

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
John, I have mine set up with 2- 2500 gal. tanks, both full. Even though insulated, however, the valves couldn't take this hard freeze. So back to the drawing board + as I stated earlier, this might be a blessing in disguise to think out potential problems. Famous last words, "It will never do that again."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yea "never" seems to come a lot sooner than it used to. son says theres a place in he thinks the DRIP that sells all the supplies/materials to make em and will also do the install, but we will do that ourselves. are your tanks above ground and gravity fed or buried and using a pump?
i had a valve on a galvanize pipe break clean in half yesterday when the water was turned on. a wrapped steel valve. left the threads in the collar.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Famous last words, "It will never do that again."

Bingo!

~Ann

Posts: 19145 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Count your blessings, in some places it's illegal to collect rainwater.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14361 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
quote:

Count your blessings, in some places it's illegal to collect rainwater.

are you kidding? for real? the only reason i can think of is because the assholes can't tax it!

One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
It is illegal to collect rain water in California. California owns it.
People do it and most look the other way.

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MeMe:
It is illegal to collect rain water in California. California owns it.
People do it and most look the other way.

do they own the air too? do they charge you to breathe?
if Kalifornia claims ownership of the rainwater, then they should compensate the homeowners when their property causes mudslides and washes said homes into the sea. do they own the seawater too?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
google says "you can collect rainwater in california without a permit thanks to the RAINWATER CAPTURE ACT of 2012"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was also illegal to collect rain water in Colorado until 2016. We can have maximum 110 gallon ( 2 55 gallon barrels) that can be used to water the plants and lawns.
We had a very dry year and Denver was telling people to put a bucket in their shower and they could use that water to water their plants and lawns. Colorado state water board came out and said that was illegal, once the water hits the ground it must continue to the water treatment plant and go back to the river for down stream users.
Here it's been said, whiskey is for drinking and water is for fighting

Posts: 321 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 16 April 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
John, mine above ground as we live on a limestone base. These are black + it's hard to totally freeze a 2500 gallon tank. Besides then it's passive so no need of a pump below ground however I do have a pump in my shop that allows me to transfer water to the other tank. I seem to recall that under Obama's reign that he had edict to seize personal water collection systems if it was deemed for the "common good."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote