Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zero Degrees This Morning Login/Join 
one of us
posted
Had power all night anyway. No hot water though. Koi pond frozen solid. Finally got an outside spigot to flow water (Hopefully for Koi). Moved the hose and its snapped in about five places. So much for trying to save fish.

Supposed to get above freezing in about four days. Maybe four more inches of snow Wednesday. My plumber got 300 calls yesterday.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
My friend has a koi pond that freezes every winter. The fish survive.
Glad you still have power. Smiler

Posts: 1066 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we're south of austin by about an hour and have been at 5 deg with felt temps of minus 7 for 2 days now. sure glad all the wind turbines and solar panels are keeping everyone warm and safe. oh wait........

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know you are not used to this weather. It’s much warmer at my house this morning. It’s six degrees warmer than yesterday when it was -24. No koi pond, but the lake behind my house has 24” thick ice.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:
we're south of austin by about an hour and have been at 5 deg with felt temps of minus 7 for 2 days now. sure glad all the wind turbines and solar panels are keeping everyone warm and safe. oh wait........

Yeah.....thank God for all those wind turbine and solar panels......retarded greenies!

Thank god for electric cars......good luck charging those idiotic things......

I have a nasty gas pipeline crossing my back pasture so luckily I have natural gas hot water and furnace. So with my Kubota diesel generator to power the blower heater and water well I'm fine, so far.

AOC can kiss my ass!

Screw those idiot greentards!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
-40 at my place in Wis. yesterday morning -35 today.

Posts: 19310 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
When I got up this morning:

After putting more wood in the stove:

Now:

No 'rolling' outages here! wave

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
quote:
Originally posted by john c.:

Yeah.....thank God for all those wind turbine
and solar panels......retarded greenies!

100% correct! ya can't fix stupid so these assholes are just gonna embrace it

Thank god for electric cars......good luck charging those idiotic things......

I have a nasty gas pipeline crossing my back pasture so luckily I have natural gas hot water and furnace. So with my Kubota diesel generator to power the blower heater and water well I'm fine, so far.

AOC can kiss my ass!

Screw those idiot greentards!

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Cold here as well. Power outages + frozen pipes so no water. I have backup propane heaters + lamps + a wood stove on the other side of the house. My reserve of 5K gal. of water in tanks has frozen outlets. Let us use this as a prep. learning experience.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Cold here as well. Power outages + frozen pipes so no water. I have backup propane heaters + lamps + a wood stove on the other side of the house. My reserve of 5K gal. of water in tanks has frozen outlets. Let us use this as a prep. learning experience.

Just proves one must be as self reliant as possible. Big lesson here for sure.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Christ Ann.
it was already 5 degrees too hot in there, your just showin off your hoarded wood pile now.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Whoa! Ann
Thats like a nuclear stove. You just raised the outside temperature 7 degrees.
an fyi, Ann chopped and split that wood herself.

Posts: 1066 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Friends in Katy (west of Houston) have no power or water. hotels full. Using snow to make toilets functional.

Rolling outages north of Dallas are very random. It seems to depend on who your provider is.

Having a heat wave now. 25 degrees at 11:00am. Should bust 32 degrees some time on Thursday.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of this is gone now:

Still have all this:

My area has a foot of snow now which is unusual for SWMO. In the 50's next week. My biggest fear right now is that some moron will drive up my lane and compact the snow. I will plow it off as soon as it quits snowing so probably Friday afternoon.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
30 miles south of Dallas we had/have about 8” of snow on top of ice. Interstate 45 and Hwy 287 were both pretty clear yesterday but are iced over again today and pretty slick. Currently 25 degrees, no power (again) but had power for about 3 hours today and similar periods of power the last few days. Water lines froze at several sinks/vanities but was able to thaw without bursting. We heat with propane and should be ok for several days, I drove by a propane supplier in Corsicana yesterday on the way to feed cows and counted 74 vehicles lined up to fill propane bottles.
Local farm sores were sold out of any type livestock feed two days ago, the Atwood’s store in Corsicana had been without power for 3 days and was open for business, running one cash register off of a gasoline generator outside their front door. Employees with LED lanterns were leading customers around to shop. Funny thing...we are on co-op electricity so likely pretty far down the importance chain, but the next road over from us appears to have had electricity the entire time. Two co-op board members live on that road, but surely that has nothing to do with it.
Had two newborn calves freeze to death so far and saw another new born while I was feeding this afternoon.
ERCOT (Energy Reliability Council Of Texas) Keeps promising that more power is coming and the outages will cease, but I think that is typical politician BS.
Hopefully it will be above freezing tomorrow and not cloudy and more of those wonderful wind turbines and solar fields will generate a little electricity.
I can see a power plant off of my front porch, gas fired but it’s working, but there are at least 3 more “dirty” power plants within 60-70 miles that aren’t working. Go figure...

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It’s was 85 in Central Florida. I wore shorts.

Today was cloudy and rainy.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man...rain? Wink we’ll be up in the 80’s before long. Complaint won’t do us any good, but now I sort of know how our friends in Zim and SA feel. It’s surprising how quickly one adapts to power outages. I hope it’s only temporary. I hope this badass storm withers up soon.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K Evans:
Man...rain? Wink we’ll be up in the 80’s before long. Complaint won’t do us any good, but now I sort of know how our friends in Zim and SA feel. It’s surprising how quickly one adapts to power outages. I hope it’s only temporary. I hope this badass storm withers up soon.

The late great Gato hold me he once was without power for 3 weeks after an ice storm.

It’s tough living without power.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We should be above freezing by the weekend + next week in the 70s. Sounds pretty good. We had a severe ice storm in 97 that caused me to add the additional propane heaters + lamps in addition to the woodstove. I cook with gas so we were o.K. except that with no electricity the kids were going through the D.T.s at night having to settle for stories instead of videogames. Smiler

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Glad you made those extra preparations after 97, Karl? I'll be you are! Funny about the kids! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vaughn, we live + learn; hopefully. Roll Eyes

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw this and thought it might be good to share. I sure hope y'all woke to better conditions this morning.

It's still cold (13F) and snow flurries here in the Ozarks. I am itching to plow my driveway off...

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We should be above freezing by the weekend + next week in the 70s. Sounds pretty good. We had a severe ice storm in 97 that caused me to add the additional propane heaters + lamps in addition to the woodstove. I cook with gas so we were o.K. except that with no electricity the kids were going through the D.T.s at night having to settle for stories instead of videogames. Smiler

is there running water in austin? any bottled water for sale in stores? our pipes have been dry for 3 days. wal mart and heb and sams have lines around the store. easily 150 people in line at each place. and gas stations backed up 10-20 deep

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Today’s high temp is supposed to be near freezing, it reached 28 degrees at my place yesterday and some areas started melting. We went thru a similar storm a few years back and I bought a generator after that, it’s not big enough to run all the heat in our house (guess that’s why pipes froze in some parts)but it will run one furnace, a microwave and a couple of lights. Power came on about 11:00 pm last night and has been on since (hope I didn’t jinx it by saying that), water supply has been on the whole time , with no “boil water” warning like in many places. I suspect there will be several water outages after everything thaws out, always several water main breaks. I really feel sorry for those that have Ben without power for days, one of my friends in Rockwall had been without power for 3 days and came home to a flooded house, kitchen ceiling fallen in and a couple inches water I. The entire downstairs. He hasn’t said if his taxidermy was damaged.
Should be much better in a couple of days, I hope.

Karl Evans

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in our motorhome with diesel commins, diesel generator, but forgot I had good old south blend of diesel. The motors won;t start, but we stayed on battery power to run the central heat for a couple of days. No electic and water to use. We are north of Waco 30 miles where it hit 1 degree and we stayed under 30 lbs of blankets to kept alive. It was 17 degrees inside so we packed up and move into Ft Worth with my son and wife. We lost power for 30 min's yesterday as they are near a fire station so they kept power on.

When we get over this I will make the necessary things to keep us alive. The diesel will have to additives to keep from Gelling. I spent a couple winter in Trinidad , Co. years ago at -10 degrees , but with gasoline generator. Every thing worked fine.

Posts: 965 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, there are some places in Austin that still have water although it needs to be boiled. The stores are empty of just about everything. Most of the gas stations are down because it takes electricity to run the pumps. Hold on for a couple more days; the weekend should be a vast improvement. I see that Ted Cruz went to Cozumel, supposedly about his daughter's health issues but pretty bad form on his part.

one of us
posted Hide Post
16 degrees at 7:30am, going to touch 32 degrees around 1:30 this afternoon, going to a high of 34.

Haven't see any damage to the house as yet, but the drain under my tankless water heater has been blocked for days. I keep bailing it out as it fills every few days. If that is the worst I have, I'm lucky.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I feel for you guys and gals, really do, but here we pray for an above zero day. -3° now

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
John, there are some places in Austin that still have water although it needs to be boiled. The stores are empty of just about everything. Most of the gas stations are down because it takes electricity to run the pumps. Hold on for a couple more days; the weekend should be a vast improvement. I see that Ted Cruz went to Cozumel, supposedly about his daughter's health issues but pretty bad form on his part.

bad as cruz is, and he is, he's bettern that boy child libatard butt hole beto.
son in buda has water but under a boil order. gonna go fill up some jugs later today. power company EP whatever i read said texas was seconds and minutes away from a 3 month or longer blackout if they hadn't thrown the switch to lessen the load on the power grids. in any case, gonna research and put a big generator next to house when the dust all settles. the state obviously can't handle this shit. i was told 10 years they were ordered to upgrade systems just for something like this and they just ignored it

one of us
posted Hide Post
Temperature peaked at 41 this afternoon north of Dallas. Forecasting 45 tomorrow.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention. No milk at Kroger's. No fresh vegetables at Walmart. No fruit, other than bananas at Kroger's. Plenty of gasoline available. $2.25/gal.

Plumber tried to charge $500 for a call-out to my daughter's and a minimum $200 "service fee". The buzzards are out there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't get it, the power is off and temps drop.. Why don't folks turn the water off and drain the pipes? That's what we do here in a case like that. The only time you should have a burst line is if no-one is home.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
I don't get it, the power is off and temps drop.. Why don't folks turn the water off and drain the pipes? That's what we do here in a case like that. The only time you should have a burst line is if no-one is home.

i don't know about the rest of the world, but around the trailer park idiots have probably never seen 25 deg temps before, much less -7 like we had. if they would of been told to drain the pipes the response would of been huh? por que? or "bubba don't think its a gonna freeze dude". my son the contractor went to lowes about 2 days before it got really bad to get sheet metal screws for a job and the forward thinkers that were actually buying wrap for their pipes were having to have the employees explain to some of the how to do it and why. far as draining the water lines IN the houses? thats like rocket science. course lottsa seniors that didn't have the wherewithall to get it done don't count. my sons actual damn foreman and his son had their pipes freeze!! different world i guess. oh, and theres a college town 8 miles from here and the milinnials.....never mind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son hit HEB at noon today when they opened after being closed for the past 2 days. The line was about 300 yds long going into the store. He picked me up one of 3 gallons of milk left in the store. The parking lot had several dumpsters where they have been dumping the products after the power outage. Temps are rising + HEB has over 1100 trucks loaded up + delivering from the San Antonio warehouse so a few more days + there will be groceries; I'm sure there will also be hoarders. My son in Austin told me that the city is draining all the water so that they can service the treatment plants which will mean in that interim that the whole city will be without water. We shall see. John, I agree with your description of beto. I don't have much use for politicians in general but he's one that should be listed up there with AOC for stupidity, ineptitude, + treasones behavior.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure your right John. Here, we have been doing it since indoor plumbing, and see it as a regular chore when power is out. We always keep a jug of antifreeze on hand. Any toilet,shower or sink gets a little glug if not used and the temps drop to much inside.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
It’s was 85 in Central Florida. I wore shorts.

Today was cloudy and rainy.

Mike

i hate you
box up some heat and send it

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I fine this so hard to believe this is happening in texas. How long has this cold snap been? It takes a while for the frost to get far into the ground. Are the homes insulated with liberals tears?

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
probably. most of the homes that have freezing pipes inside the walls are either trailers or 30 yr old plus. probably insulated with newspapers from the 60s. sons foremans house is old and the pipes are buried 6" in ground from main to house, at deepest part. he found that out the hard way. i have lived in west/south texas almost 70 yrs and i can tell you burying a water pipe 6" is considered more than enough in most places. it works fine, until it doesn't!! the temps getting into the teens isn't unheard of, for a few hours every few years or so. back in the day we used to leave the pasture sprinklers on overnight when it was gonna freeze hard just to see the "in the air ice" the next morning. bout 6 AM it was melted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just another day in the neighborhood. Big Grin

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For us, a water line is usually buried 4-5 feet down. If it crosses a road, where the frost gets drove deep, 7-8 feet before it's considered safe.
Many folks have gravity, spring fed water supplies. If there is any worry for them, they just leave a line running to keep it from freezing.