Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Romantic travel Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Go ahead, get it over with. Call me names and beat me up. I know, I know. This is a manly forum for manly men.

But....I'd be no where without her. I really want to do something especially nice for her this year.

Looking for a really cool and romantic week with my wife. Done the South Pacific. Looking for some country-side, art, history, and fine dinning. Day time casual, night time dress-up. Possible destinations would include Argentina, Portugal, Spain, and Ireland. France is a no go.

Suggestions?

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
San Sebastián Spain will meet or exceed all of your requirements. Check it out and if you're interested, send me a PM and I'll share my experiences there.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Florence, Venice, Croatia, Lisbon.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Argentina, Portugal, Spain, Ireland and Scotland are all great destinations. But it really is a time of the year thing.

Venice is waaaay overrated today and is inundated with the mega cruise ships. Too crowded to enjoy any more. Northern Italy, Switzerland and Austria are all beautiful and easy to see via car. Croatia as Gato mentioned is really beautiful.

If you want to see much of Europe look into the Viking River cruises. If you do the Danube cruise watch what time of year you book as the Danube can be too high or too low and you wind up on a bus. No bueno.

I have found that the Rick Steves travel books will inundate you with lots of very useful travel knowledge about Europe. His guided tours are highly rated as well.

If you want to see the Italian Islands, book a Windstar cruise. Other than Santorini, the Greek Islands are overrated in my opinion. Athens is like Detroit but with really, really old buildings.

New Zealand is another amazingly beautiful place when it's not shaking.

Iceland is another consideration off the beaten track. A really cool place to see.

Big planet with lots to see and do...

Good luck.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
X2 for San Sebastian, Spain with a side-trip to Pau, France. (Change the no-go to go.)

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi TWL,

Closer to home, try New Orleans if you haven't been. Lots to see and great food.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I did my internship in Monopoli, Italy. The Puglia region is very laid back and picturesque, food was great too. If you are thinking about Italy, don't overlook the Emilia-Romagna region, probably the best alternative to food and culture if you don't like crowds. If you go anywhere near northern Switzerland, check out the Rheinfall near Schaffhausen.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by impala#03:
Hi TWL,

Closer to home, try New Orleans if you haven't been. Lots to see and great food.

And don't forget your body armor and concealed carry M249. New Orleans is more dangerous today than at any time in their history. Not a place for a romantic getaway unless you get off on gun fire.

But the food is great.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I guess that kind of rules out Pamploma + the running of the bulls. Seriously,good luck + have a grand time.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote