New
Find
Notify
Tools

Here comes Irma Login/Join 
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Survided Irma

My belove mango tree was toppled over. Hopefully it Survives a replanting.

My office was a complete disaster with falling trees and limbs. However nothing caused structural damage. Just a lot of cleaning.

No power.

I am seriously thinking of getting tesla solar panels and getting of the government authorized power grid.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you're ok, but all that gnashing and wailing over a "beloved" mango tree. Smiler

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
We lucked out in that Irma was down to a tropical storm when it passed over our head. Lost 4 pines, 2 oaks, and a lot of limbs but no structural damage. Power came back this afternoon after 28 hours without. All in all we feel blessed.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those power line guys earn their money. I've seen them out working like SOBs when anyone else would be hiding in bed. Hats off to some tough workers! tu2

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My home survived with virtually no problems. I did have to spend a day moving limbs that were down.

I went to my ranch yesterday. It was an eventful trip. As soon as we got on the turnpike, there was a solid line of cars heading south at 5:30 in the morning! For the next 60 miles until we exited I-75, this line of cars was solid.

Once we exited I-75, for the next 60 miles we saw a single gas station with gas. This was in a rural area. It was very odd at what was damaged and what wasn't. A tin shed standing alone would not be touched then a house would have the roof blow off.

We got to the ranch. I was totally shocked. No damage to the camp area. Things I expected to see blown away were not even moved. For example, my grandson's plastic replica John Deere tractor had not moved an inch. All of my feeders were still up. We did have lots of tree down.

There is lots of water everywhere. I am not sure I recall seeing this much water ever. The debris will take a while. At one point, over 7 million people had no power. I do not know the number currently.

Posts: 11956 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Finally got power back on in West Orlando. Was out for 5 days. I decided it better to leave town and am in Istanbul.

Cocoa Beach was a mess on Tuesday. No power, no water and no sewer. These barrier island get hammered hard in hurricanes.

Feel terrible for the people in the Keys.

All in all - central Florida got off lucky.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Word is that all 54 of Hemingway's cats are doing fine in Key West. No word from Finca Vincia in Cuba.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also word on the news about the looting in FLA. that some looters were arrested for stealing tennis shoes + got 15 years.Good,they should have been shot + saved us the money.Taking food + water I can understand;nikes + T.V.'s not at all.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Somehow I seriously doubt anyone could have been tried, convicted and sentenced for crimes committed 7-10 days ago. Take that with a huge block of salt....

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13143 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yup. Virtually impossible.

Posts: 11956 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe;the statement was from the sheriff + (we know the news never lies!!!).Regardless,my opinion is still the same;looters should be shot on sight + prosecutions severe.My friends nephew has decided to ride it out in the V.I. His call.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strange storm.

I went to the west coast of Florida for some family stuff - Venice, Fla. No visible hurricane damage.

Went to Boca Grande to meet my tax guy - barrier island with no damage.

Orlando is beaten up. Road signs, store sign, fallen trees still to be cleared from the road side.

Cocoa beach is really beaten up. One publix on a1a was damaged and is being torn down. Signs and store awning damaged. Did not have power for 5 days and no water/sewage for week.

Tough to predict exactly how these storms move once they hit land.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a lot of very strange things about that storm. I do not recall ever seeing this much water in my life. Perhaps the strangest thing was what was damaged and what wasn't even though they were in close proximity.

At my ranch , I have a toy John Deere tractor for my grandson. It is very light. I believed that there was little doubt that it would be blown away. It was not moved even a single inch. Yet, about 100 yards away trees were blown over. How does that happen?

I saw aluminum sheds completely without damage. Yet, 100 yards away, houses had their roof blown off.

I could cite dozens of examples.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim (frosbit) and Joyce were staying over with me on their awesome road trip.

Joyce wanted to walk the hood. We went to one side of the gated community that has a brick wall. It was knocked down the rebar in the wall was bent.

I thought a vechile has hit the wall but there were no track marks. Around the bend another portion of the wall was knocked down.

This made so sense the hurricane knocked down a brick wall with bent rebar but wood frame house were fine.

Mike