THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Thinking of Moving to Dallas/FT Worth

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of Moving to Dallas/FT Worth Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Give the strong Texas base on AR. Have a few questions.

I am thinking of moving to Dallas or Ft Worth - which one is better. I have visited both for work before but I don't know much about either. I know for a fact I don't like Houston - too big for me.

I work for myself in alternative investments (hedge fund). I am pretty flexible in work office set up as both cities work well.

Just trying to find more information and advice on where to live. I may rent a corporate apartment for a month in either one to check out
the area.

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In general, FW is a bit more small town western, and Dallas is more cosmopolitan, yuppy, but they both have traffic and crime issues. I'd consider one of the suburb towns like Frisco or Grapevine or, if you lean that way, a ranch or ranchette an hour or so away.

Dallas has many more and better restaurants. I am too old and too married to comment on either's bar scene anymore. If you're a serious urban type, pick Dallas, otherwise I'd consider the 'burbs or just plain out in the sticks. For instance I live 2 1/2 hours from Dallas and 10 minutes to the nearest loaf of bread. I like it and in my area, one can buy a couple of hundred acres with a decent house on it for the same price as a slightly nicer house in Dallas on 1/4 acre lot. Chac un a son gout.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With your work, I think Dallas would be a better pick for you.

Just buy your house north of town in Richardson, Plano, Allen Frisco, etc.

Renting for a few months is a very good idea till you get a feel for the area.
Also do you have school aged kids???

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
With your work, I think Dallas would be a better pick for you.

Just buy your house north of town in Richardson, Plano, Allen Frisco, etc.

Renting for a few months is a very good idea till you get a feel for the area.
Also do you have school aged kids???

No kids - single.

Work wise - both are the same. Ft Worth has a surprising number of investment firms.

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well if you could live and work in FT. Worth, then I would take a look at houses around TCU.

I have a friend that lives there and it is a nice area.

I spent a few days at his house a few weeks ago and I like the area a lot.

Nice stores nice resturants, nice neighborhood.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grapevine area. Close to both Dallas and Ft. Worth, and just north of DFW airport. Small town feel minutes from the Big City. Some great restaurants nearby. Bass Pro has a Flagship store in Grapevine and Cabelas not too far. Traffic can be a real hassle during rush hour. Was there a few weeks ago and you just time your moves to avoid peak traffic.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
we have an office in Coppell and the folk live in/around grapevine, flower mound area, etc

Posts: 6385 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not that I don't want you living by me, but you sound like Uptown Dallas material to me.

http://www.uptowndallas.net/

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I prefer Ft Worth, more of a western flavor, much like Houston where I grew up before it really took off. Big hedge fund money in Ft Worth, Basses, Rainwater, etc. All the major cities in TX are big and growing very rapidly though, with the attendant problems. Avoid Austin, unless you are young and liberal and haven't grown up yet. Unlikely though if you run a hedge fund.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the advice. I think I am going to spend a month in Dallas and a month in Ft Worth.

I have always like Ft Worth a lot - maybe cause I like Angelos so much.

Austin did not do much for me.

Thanks,

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have always like Ft Worth a lot - maybe cause I like Angelos so much.

You need to spend more time in Texas, it will improve your appreciation of Mexican food.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Definately Dallas. Of course my answer would be Austin,but that was not in your questionere.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fort Worth = Texas...........Dallas, not so much.......

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike: Regardless of which city you choose; after you get to Texas, if you are interested, I would like for you to be my guest at a DSC monthly meeting...good way to meet some nice people. PM if this is something that would interest you.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2744 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am leaning towards Ft Worth but I will check out Grapevine.

Just off internet searches Ft Worth real estate you get more bang for the buck.

If anyone knows a good real estate broker please PM me.

I think the goal long term if things work out in Texas is to buy some acerage outside Ft Worth.

Thanks,

Mike

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Beretta682E: internet searches Ft Worth real estate you get more bang for the buck....long term if things work out in Texas is to buy some acerage outside Ft Worth

Definitely. Nice areas outside Ft Worth if looking for acreage include Weatherford, Glen Rose, Hico, etc.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I see no reason to PM. I would touch base with Martha Williams, one of the top brokers in Ft. Worth.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:

I see no reason to PM. I would touch base with Martha Williams, one of the top brokers in Ft. Worth.

Thanks,

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think this was written by a Yankee.

http://whateverblog.dallasnews...ies-in-the-u-s.html/

Judging by all the out-of-state license plates on the roads, there is no shortage of people wanting to move to this area.

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Top five bbq places in dallas-ft worth ?

I put Angelos - any other?

Have family going to Dallas for a football game.

Thanks,

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is difficult for me to comment on Angelo's since I haven't been there in years. However I have a trusted friend who lives in area and grew up with Angelo's. He likes it but believes that most days, The Railhead is better (who stole one of Angelo's pitmasters years ago).

I'd put them in about this order, remembering that "DFW" is a BIG area: (note, IMO, there is a fairly large gap in quality between 3 and 4, based on my personal opinion, it would be more like 3 and then 6 or 7 would be #4 and then they become fairly close again)

1: Pecan Lodge, Dallas
2: Hutchins, Mckinney
3: Lockhart Smokehouse, Dallas
4: Woody Creek, W. Ft Worth
4.5 Hard 8, Coppell (somewhat on list because of primo location near DFW).
5: Railhead, Ft Worth

I would suggest that Angelo's would be in there somewhere around 4 or 5 but since I haven't tried it I am not putting it on list.

BTW, completely unrelated but if you like authentic Mexican food (as opposed to Tex Mex) I can HIGHLY recommend Mi Dia Restaurant in Grapevine. Another eatery that is fairly close to DFW airport. Not cheap, but worth it. If you try the New Mexico Tampiquena and don't like it, there's something wrong with your taste buds.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
It is difficult for me to comment on Angelo's since I haven't been there in years. However I have a trusted friend who lives in area and grew up with Angelo's. He likes it but believes that most days, The Railhead is better (who stole one of Angelo's pitmasters years ago).

I'd put them in about this order, remembering that "DFW" is a BIG area: (note, IMO, there is a fairly large gap in quality between 3 and 4, based on my personal opinion, it would be more like 3 and then 6 or 7 would be #4 and then they become fairly close again)

1: Pecan Lodge, Dallas
2: Hutchins, Mckinney
3: Lockhart Smokehouse, Dallas
4: Woody Creek, W. Ft Worth
4.5 Hard 8, Coppell (somewhat on list because of primo location near DFW).
5: Railhead, Ft Worth

I would suggest that Angelo's would be in there somewhere around 4 or 5 but since I haven't tried it I am not putting it on list.

BTW, completely unrelated but if you like authentic Mexican food (as opposed to Tex Mex) I can HIGHLY recommend Mi Dia Restaurant in Grapevine. Another eatery that is fairly close to DFW airport. Not cheap, but worth it. If you try the New Mexico Tampiquena and don't like it, there's something wrong with your taste buds.

Thank you - will forward to my family members and add it to my list for places to go in Dallas.

Mike