THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    So What's The First Movie That Scared The Crap Out Of You?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So What's The First Movie That Scared The Crap Out Of You? Login/Join 
one of us
posted
If I overlook the Wizard of Oz; and that's hard to do, when that big green witch's face filled the screen in Artesia, New Mexico; and was cackling about getting Dorothy and Toto. That had me running up the aisle to the lobby as fast as my five year-old legs would carry me. If I overlook that, it would have to be "Them", when I saw it in Clovis, New Mexico. I guess if I hadn't been in the 2nd Grade I would have packed-up and headed for Texas right then. I mean the atom bomb caused those things, and that bomb was in New Mexico. Even back then I knew what 2+2 was. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4URRp39XOo

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
It did not scare the crap out of me, but the first movie I remember scaring me and the audience was the original "JAWS" movie.

First movie I ever went to that when it was over, everyone was palec and no one was talking as they left the theater.

In my life time, that movie seemed to have effected people in a manner that I have never witnessed since.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
"What ever happened to Baby Jane". Randle,here in Austin we have such a thing as the Zilker Hillside theatre held on the grounds of Zilker Park.Outside on the green with a large screen;bring your picnic basket,etc.I watched all of "The Thin Man" movies there as well as other classics.Then they played "the Night Of The Living Dead" Let me tell you when you are out there in the open with the woods behind you it was pretty scary.As to "Jaws" the same folks put on the movie down on Auditorium Shores,in a cordoned in area on Lady Bird Lake. We had to go out to watch the movie in the water in an inner tube.Now THAT was scary.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Exorcist, I don't think I slept for a week!

Posts: 41769 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
"The Exorcist, I don't think I slept for a week!"

I couldn't even think about guacamole for six months!

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Thing, 1952 or '53 version.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte with Betty Davis.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't scare easily. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ken, that witch scared the poop out of me, too -- and the Great Oz, before we knew he was fake news. This segment from Fantasia was another "sceery" one. And when Gort comes alive in "The Day the Earth Stood Still" ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLCuL-K39eQ

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16366 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that they had a diver that would periodically grab someones leg.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
interesting..... Forbidden planet comes to mind... also the original The day the Earth stood still

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1961 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Salem's Lot or The Ammityville Horror

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Kujo

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah,I remember living in the cabin here when building my house + watched Salem's Lot. It was dark + I needed to go out + take a piss + wondered how long I could wait.

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I forgot to mention that they had a diver that would periodically grab someones leg.

Ok, that's just funny as hell.

I wonder how much pee that diver had to swim through?

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never mind the Saviour,you should have seen folks trying to walk on water!

One of Us
Picture of MMM
posted Hide Post
I've seen a lot of scary films but the only one that ever gave me nightmares was Prince of Darkness directed by John Carpenter.

When I saw The Blair Witch Project I was living in a semi-remote wooded area in Alabama and my wife was out of town so when I got home I was alone. You could not have paid me a thousand bucks to go outside and walk around the house. The second time I saw it I thought it was pretty silly.

Posts: 172 | Location: north MS | Registered: 28 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"The Thing" from another World. I must have seen it at 6yrs old and it haunted me until my teenage years. I would never go to bed and let my hand hang off the edge.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
...."first man into space" I think it was called, usual '50s space monster stuff , but I never saw the end of the movie so its still out there....then as a pre-teen it was " wild in the streets ", the concept scared the shit out of me.

Roger

Posts: 1034 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Jaws, without a doubt.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Not sure if this was first: Trilogy of Terror

It's the one i remember. Was a TV show with mmm Karen Black.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073820/

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I was out hunting + all the kids were spending the night with friends so my wife (ex now) chose that night to watch "Silence of the Lambs".When I rolled in around midnight,not knowing what I was walking into,all the lights in the house were on + she starts into a screaming tirade about how could I leave her there by herself,etc. ad nauseum.Funny now;hell, it was pretty funny then too.

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
"War Of The Worlds"
The original

"Play Misty For Me" had a few good spots too

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4227 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 1953 at age of 8 I saw the original War of the Worlds. I spent a lot of time hiding on the floor behind the seat in front of me.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
The Thing, 1952 or '53 version.

Dave

No way! The '82 remake with Kurt Russell was the first movie that kept me up at night! Funny thing now is, I love it and watch it every time it's on!

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:The Thing, 1952 or '53 version.Dave No way! The '82 remake with Kurt Russell was the first movie that kept me up at night! Funny thing now is, I love it and watch it every time it's on!

The remake with Kurt Russell was closer to the original shot story "Who Goes There" As an aside, James Arnes played the monster in the early version.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
I saw "Them," a 1954 movie--I was seven or eight--it had a really good cast for a '50s sci-fi movie. James Whitmore, James Arness--and Fess Parker had a bit part as a crazy person. I saw the movie with my folks and was scared for weeks.

Then a couple of years later I went to a Saturday matinee with a bunch of guys my age and saw a 1956 movie called "The Werewolf." It scared me so much I spent some of the movie in the lobby, until an usher made me go back to my seat.

Funny thing is, both of those movies are tame compared to horror and sci-fi movies today.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Didn't lose sleep over any of them.
But these (2) were tied for the first place. The acting in both were superb.

1973 The Excorcist - Linda Blair

1975 Trilogy of Terror - TV movie with Karen Black.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
The Wolfman with Lon Cheney Jr. "Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers at night, can become a wolf when the wolf bane blooms. . . . . . ."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A friend's daughter, early teens, and her friends watched Jaws about a year ago.
It still works, they would not swim in pool after watching. This is in Arizona, not much of a shark problem here.

M

Posts: 1229 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read an interview with Janet Leigh years ago regarding "Phsyco". She said she could never take a shower comfortably after that;also the hardest part of the scene was keeping her eyes open when the water ran on her.

one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
I was 9 when I saw the original Psyco. Now, 58 years later, I still leave the shower curtain open enough to keep an eye on the bathroom door.

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That movie affected everyone. Hitchcock was a genius.I think one of the scariest parts was the very end when Norman,grinning was thinking to himself that to show them,he would'nt even hurt a fly.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Can't forget The Birds. Definitely in the top ten scariest.
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Hitchcock was a genius..

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing the previews before the regular feature in the theatre in 62-63?.That was the only place we watched movies then.Hitchcock came on the screen + spoke of 'our fine feathered friends',You knew something was coming.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also excluding the nightmare-causing "Wizard of Oz," the motion picture that caused wakefulness until exhaustion several days later was, and still is, "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" (1956), starring Kevin McCarthy and Dana Winters. I will not watch this again. While I have not seen any remake(s??) of the same title, I have difficulty imagining any being close to the original in acting quality, direction (Don Siegel in 1956 original), or in its ability to induce an anxiety attack that borders on a nervous breakdown.

quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
If I overlook the Wizard of Oz; and that's hard to do, when that big green witch's face filled the screen in Artesia, New Mexico; and was cackling about getting Dorothy and Toto. That had me running up the aisle to the lobby as fast as my five year-old legs would carry me. If I overlook that, it would have to be "Them", when I saw it in Clovis, New Mexico. I guess if I hadn't been in the 2nd Grade I would have packed-up and headed for Texas right then. I mean the atom bomb caused those things, and that bomb was in New Mexico. Even back then I knew what 2+2 was. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4URRp39XOo

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1497 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
When my dad had a patient in labor we'd watch the late show together- those old B&W Dracula movies scared the shit out of me. 50 years later, I still feel uncomfortable sleeping on my stomach and exposing the back of my neck.....

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just splitting hairs that don't mean anything but I thought the original "Invasion Of The Body Snatchers" was in 1959.Anyway,the book was written by Jack Finney who also wrote a series of time travel books that I recommend highly.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
This one is easy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQxyaI74v7U

"The Haunting" from 1963, my parents took 6 year old me + my sister to see this. Needless to say it scared the crap out of me and I think my parents too as we all slept in the same bed for a couple of days!

Funny scene from the movie Jaws- My Dad and I saw this in a theater (missed a train and had a couple hours to burn) and Dad was all sprawled out in the theater chair with his arms on the arm rests, in the famous "we need a bigger boat" scene when the shark lunged out of the water my Dad literally screamed and yanked his hands back off the armrests!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote