Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting camp rules Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
While researching a hunt I came across this posted on an outfitter's website:

"All of XXXXXX hunts are non-smoking and no alcoholic beverages are permitted in camp. We ask that any perspective clients who do smoke/drink prepare for this accordingly and respect our camp rules."

When I go on an outfitted hunt I want to relax at the end of a day sitting around the fire with a cigar and maybe a beer so a rule like this takes this outfitter off my list.

Would it bother you?

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I'd pass.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Won't find me in that camp.
Quit smoking 20m years ago.
But a sundowner" in the evening is part of my program.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Would not find me there.

I have never smoked, but I have nothing against those that do.

Like Tom T. Hall, I Like Beer, and I intend to have some at the end of the day.

The outfitter will probably find folks that can live with that, I couldn't.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Obviously the outfitter has had problems with drunks in his camps in the past , and its his call so he makes the rules.
Wouldnt bother me in the least but would obviously not suit some folk.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Assuming limits to alcohol to prevent drunks the other objection would be allergies to tobacco smoke . Drunks + guns do present some dangers !!

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
Assuming limits to alcohol to prevent drunks the other objection would be allergies to tobacco smoke . Drunks + guns do present some dangers !!

So would you assume that the outfitter thinks that everyone who drinks is going to get drunk? The vast majority of outfitters around the world allow and provide alcohol (in moderation) and don't seem to have many issues. The only times that I've ever seen this restriction is in countries that have religious based restrictions such as the Muslim countries but this outfitter is in the US.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Posts: 12537 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After the guns are put up and the meal is served, guns don't present a problem. As for smoking, having places in camp set aside for smokers works.

Yes, this this outfitter will get customers, maybe not as many as he could, but maybe that is okay with him.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
He most likely has had some bad experiences with guys getting drunk in camp;we've all seen it.I would like a sundowner or glass of wine at the end of the day + I quit smoking years ago. Almost makes it sound like a Baptist Day Camp.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I quit smoking a long time ago and I no longer drink much past a beer or a tot but you wont find me in his camp.
Although you do have to kinda respect the fact that he got it said and up front.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well,he should say it up front;part of the lease. I do think he has gone a bit overboard concerning the character of his potential clients.We hunters of an age do not drink while hunting but do enjoy a small libation at days end over the campfire.Smoking is any mans choice. I quit years ago but I still love the smell of good pipe tobacco in the air.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I don't smoke and I hve small children who might be in camp with us. So the ban on smoking doesn't bother me.

No booze in camp is against every hunting tradition since the first alcahol was drunk over the fire of some dead beast thousands of years ago. It isn't right. Getting drunk on a hunt is stupid, you are paying a lot of money to hunt, you can get drunk at home.

He must have had some clients that ruined it for everyone or he's a Mormon.

Either way I would steer clear.

I have a test when I am talking to an outfitter, I sneak in a couple of fucks, and shits. I am going to cuss, it is part of my vocabulary when my children are not around. If the guy drops a couple of his own we are fine. If he gets wierd, I move on.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like anything else;you + yours are there to have a good time that you paid for.NO ONE ever talks vulgar in front of children;anywhere! It's a rule. Besides as we age we become aware that "fuck" is a verb,not an adjective or adverb to be used at will like we used to do in the army.A hunting trip is supposed to be a fun time for everyone + 999 times out out a 1000 that is true.As in every thing else in this life,remember the golden rule.It makes for a great hunt/vacation/adventure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Normally in the US it is probably some outfitter to damn cheap to provide clients with a drink.

I would not hunt in any camp where I cannot drink. It something I do at night after hunting. Its recreational and a great way to unwind and talk to fellow hunters.

I will drink it Africa and in 3 weeks I will drink in a Days Inn in South Carolina with Admiral/SubSailor74 at the end day after deer hunting.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If the outfitter offered a great hunt at a great price, and I was ten years younger, I might take him up on it. I don't REQUIRE alcohol or tobacco. In most cases I'm so wound-up hunting that I don't worry much about anything else.

Fishing is another thing. If I'm sitting out on a boat all day, an ice cold beer every so often hits the spot.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a problem for me. I am more concerned about the hunt.

Posts: 1284 | Location: N.J | Registered: 16 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who cares. Make your choice and pay, or not.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It woudn't bother me, but I probably wouldn't go. I don't think I'd enjoy the company of those who it wouldn't bother....

Over the years, I have been astounded at how many people can't wait to go on an expensive hunt, usually in another country, and get shit faced drunk. Hell, I could always do that at home if I wanted to, not after having to pay mega bucks for a hunt to use as an excuse.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't smoke and haven't had a beer in about 20 years. I doubt it would have much of an impact on my decision. It would at least be down the list a ways.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
It woudn't bother me, but I probably wouldn't go. I don't think I'd enjoy the company of those who it wouldn't bother....

Over the years, I have been astounded at how many people can't wait to go on an expensive hunt, usually in another country, and get shit faced drunk. Hell, I could always do that at home if I wanted to, not after having to pay mega bucks for a hunt to use as an excuse.

Often times those guys pay a lot just to get out of the house.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I like that rule. I'm a non-smoker & I don't want my clothes smelling of cigarettes. Drinking---I went to hunt not drinking. At my elk camp I get up earlier hike in the dark to be at my stand at 1st light. I stay out to last light & hike back in the dark. By the time I'm at camp it's all I can do to get some supper, start the fire in the stove & hit the rack. Tomorrow I do the same thing.

Another rule in my camp is no cards. You can stay home & play cards. I'm here to hunt elk. Bob

Posts: 598 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I do not smoke or drink.

But those are the sort of things that will put me off that outfitter.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What's next?

No unmarried couples?
No homosexuals?
No polygamists?
No Jews/Christians/Hindus/Buddhists/Muslims/atheists?
No political discussions?
No religious discussions?

This isn't a bunch of folks hunting together, it's an outfitter camp full of paying adults.

He can keep his camps empty. I won't be there.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
If the guy had a good success rate on decent sized game and didn't charge an arm and a leg I would definitely book with the guy. I don't see what the problem is if this is his only rule. I have seen it one too many times where an uncle or cousin had a few too many. They are miserable to be around the next morning. They are slow to get up (if they get up), don't want to walk back to their stand, and God help if they actually shoot something- someone else has to drag it out. I doubt if it hurts business.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did a caribou bowhunt in NWT and they had a no alcohol in camp rule, which I complied with. Some hunters did not and the result wasn't good. The reason wasn't the concern about the hunters, it was the native American guides and sure enough, some guys violated the rule and got their guide sloshed. Not a good situation.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
at least he didnt mention tipping...

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did a caribou bowhunt in NWT and they had a no alcohol in camp rule, which I complied with. Some hunters did not and the result wasn't good. The reason wasn't the concern about the hunters, it was the native American guides and sure enough, some guys violated the rule and got their guide sloshed. Not a good situation.

I did a Musk Ox/Barren Ground Caribou hunt in Nunavut in 2000, and I carried a case of Heineken into camp, but I kept it in a situation where the Inuits had no access to it, and they did not get any of it.

I can understand someone limiting or not allowing alcohol in camp, especially if Native Americans are part of the staff. Their physiology simply cannot handle alcohol.

I am sure the outfitter has his reasons, probably from past experiences, for his rules, but most hunters I have been around in various camps, really don't want to be burdened with a lot of rules put in place because of the actions of others. JMO.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
Who cares. Make your choice and pay, or not.

Dave

People do care (even non smokers/drinkers) as you can see from the responses. I'm just asking for people's opinions.

Frank

Administrator
posted Hide Post
My objection to hunting with this one has nothing to do with smoking or drinking.

I just wonder what other objections he has in store for me once I am in camp.

As I mentioned, I do not smoke or drink. I am with people who do both all the time, and have no problems whatsoever.

The only time I do object is when someone becomes obnoxious about it.

Years ago I was flying on British Caledonian.

I was seated in a non smoking seat, that is when smoking was permitted on the planes.

I had a gentleman from the Far East sitting next to me, chain smoking. I asked him to stop. He gave me a funny look and continued to smoke.

I called the stewardess, and was not able to stop him.

Eventually he had to move to Economy so he can smoke.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66928 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I had a Japanese guy light up on an airplane next to me once on a flight between Japan and Seattle.

Kind of shocked me as I hadn't seen it since I was a kid. They pulled him out of my row and put him somewhere else. They also took all his tobacco.

Kind of dumbshit stuff, this was 2003 or so. Surprised me that he thought he'd get away with it. I didn't even fuss with the dipshit, I just went and told the stewardess, it wasn't worth my time. He was a little bit shit, but squirrely as can be.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
If the outfitter offered a great hunt at a great price, and I was ten years younger, I might take him up on it. I don't REQUIRE alcohol or tobacco. In most cases I'm so wound-up hunting that I don't worry much about anything else.

That's kind of what I was thinking. If there were compelling reasons to go there and hunt with this particular outfitter over others, I'd take them. I'm here to hunt and I can have a drink and a cigar at home when I get back. I'm sure this rule is in response to excesses of both those vices negatively impacting the experiences of the staff or other guests. I never quite understood the appeal of treating a hunting trip like a frat party.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Further reading of the post that my question came from, the outfitter states that he has six children. I am going to take the leap and say that these rules are probably based on his religious beliefs.

Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clayman:
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:

That's kind of what I was thinking. If there were compelling reasons to go there and hunt with this particular outfitter over others, I'd take them. I'm here to hunt and I can have a drink and a cigar at home when I get back. I'm sure this rule is in response to excesses of both those vices negatively impacting the experiences of the staff or other guests. I never quite understood the appeal of treating a hunting trip like a frat party.

Not a frat party but a vacation which is that it is.

I don't go vacation in Saudi Arabia either so why would I go to a hunting camp with a bunch of religious guys who don't smoke or drink.

One time I went to Alaska to a non drinking camp - I did not know there was no booze. The DVD collection was majority religious dvds. The outfitter was busy forging signatures and setting up for feliny indictments Wink

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is always interesting to watch how conversations on here such as this one go.

Some equating alcohol and smoking in camp as being a "Frat" party.

I have been on a few guided hunts where I was the client or one of the clients, and others where I was the guide or a member of the guide crew, and I do not remember seeing anyone get out of control with alcohol.

Maybe I have just been lucky, or maybe it is just that most folks have enough self control that they want to relax but also want to have a good/successful hunt.

As far as smoking is concerned, that is one I really don't care one way or another.

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
I haven't smoked in 24 years or drank in 14 years, but am not bothered by folks who do either. I do avoid second-hand smoke.
Seems to me these are just too trivial to stand in the way of anyone's good time.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:

Not a frat party but a vacation which is that it is.

Haha! I'm glad to see folks took notice of that one. It's hyperbole, but I suppose the point remains. The guide has a reason for having those rules in place, and based on what some have said it might be the fact he has children. The other reason might be because one too many jokers have abused the policy and made things bad for everyone. Don't get me wrong, I love coming back to camp and having a drink or two and relaxing; hell, I'm drinking as I type this from my living room. I'm not searching for "purist hunting camps" on Google. Big Grin

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Up here, unfortunately, we have to group hunt for moose.

It took me a long time - too long, to find a camp that had sensible rules around drinking. Nothing worse that having your hunt ruined by someone else's hangover. Especially if it's the guy who drew the tag - then nobody hunts till he's sober.

The camp I'm in now has sensible rules. Guns get locked up at 6. Drink as much as you want. But if you're not bright-eyed and bushy-tailed at 0500, you won't be hunting and you won't get a share of the kill.

And if you're a guest hunter - you won't be invited back next year.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote