New
Find
Notify
Tools

Screwed Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
OK, so I go looking at Ace, Home Depot and Lowes for slotted oval head screws. I know. Rare bird in these horrid times. But what do I find in the woodscrew section? About 90 percent Hillman Phillips-head zinc-coated dreck. I wanted to barf.
Boy. Time to die.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16326 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
When in doubt, order them online. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
How well I know. I was running low on pop rivets + needed to finish a job + didn't have time to go to my supply house so I went to the local hardware store to buy a few. When I asked the kid where they were he didn't even know what I was talking about.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Home Depot and a Lowe's very close and can choose to go to either. However, with that said, I have found that for the most part, what is found at Home Depot is also found at Lowe's with very few exceptions. It used to be that what might not be found at one would be found at the other. No more. Thus, going online and ordering and having it shipped has often been the best thing for me with many items.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
OK, so I go looking at Ace, Home Depot and Lowes for slotted oval head screws

I have went to Torx head screws when ever possible.

I learn to hate slotted head and Philips screws

Posts: 19337 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
P dog, sometimes a guy wants a screw that would not have been out of place a century or two ago
-- heck, even 30 years ago -- like on guns.
That said I confess to driving 1,000 sheetrock screws for every slotted screw these days.

– John Green, author

Posts: 16326 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, we have our own Screw head, the Robertson, way superior to either Phillips or slot head. Wink Slot heads are about extinct and not missed. Phillips heads are mostly confined to drywall screws and foreign manufactured stuff, the idea behind them being, they slip when excessive torque is applied.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._L._Robertson

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1581 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I built a shipping crate using Robertson screws. The guy I shipped to on the east coast said square drivers were not available there. I don't know how he got the box open but the helmet is on his web site.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:

None better in my experience.

~Ann

Posts: 19132 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ACE Hardware has the best screw selection hereabouts, and drivers as well.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14348 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
I keep a supply of all the drivers handy at all times. Never know when you will need them. I have found that the Torx and Robertson's work the best. Tork will tear out if you are not straight and bearing down. Robertson will take a little angle. I have a bucket of slotted screws of every type imaginable just in case I have to match something old.

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I keep a supply of all the drivers handy at all times.

I rebuilt a deck that was first built in 1975 repaired added to ect for the last 40 some years.

I took 6 to 8 different type of fasteners out of that deck. It now has all torx head screws in it

Posts: 19337 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
quote:

None better in my experience.

AMEN to that!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Torx does give more grip(I'm still trying to get another bolt for the starter on my 94 jeep.) I always used hex heads in the AC industry. Screws are measured by the 16th. thus a 1/4 in. screw is called a #8, etc. Also, we have the Phillips destination called a "flank drive" which is basically a Phillips slot w/ an interspersed high point that to the best of my knowledge only Snap-On has a screwdriver for.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Grizz, that Roberston looks a lot like the square screw head on the Kreg pocket screws I have been using lately on my attempts at furniture.

– John Green, author

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
I like the square drive screws as much as torx.

But as far as the flat blade screwdriver being obsolete... well did you ever try to open a can of paint with a torx or square drive tool? ain't happenin..

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of openers, I still have several of the "old style" church keys hanging on the wall in my shop. I just found out recently how valuable they are now to antique collectors. Who would have thought it? Oh + BTW, I STILL carry a P-38 on my keyring + my sons have taken up the habit as well.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Randy, I carried a P-38 on my key ring as well, a long time ago. I found the hinged hook came open at awkward times in my pocket and gave up the practice, but good on you for sticking with it.

– John Green, author

one of us
posted Hide Post
A proper straight blade screwdriver used correctly is as strong as the others.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Speaking of openers, I still have several of the "old style" church keys hanging on the wall in my shop. I just found out recently how valuable they are now to antique collectors. Who would have thought it?

Let me tell you a story. I have a very nice display case in the house foyer-full of African items. We have had it for 16 years. It is locked. My grandkids got a hold of the skeleton key used to open it (the only one that came with it) and lost it. I thought that it would be easy to find a replacement. WRONG! It took me a month of purchasing different skeleton keys, and finally contacting the distributor in North Carolina(they hadn't exported items like that from the original manufacturer for years), who just happened to have one old skeleton key that they thought might fit it. Lo and behold it did and it opened, but just barely. Yes, old church keys, skeleton keys, etc. can be quite valuable! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
O.K. dating myself again ( + you who can relate), I always kept an oil spout wrapped in a rag under the seat. In those days all we had was cardboard cans w/ metal tops that required an opener/spout. I understand those are of collectors' interest today as well. Mine is in new condition as it was coated in oil + wrapped in a rag all the time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always kept an oil spout wrapped in a rag under the seat.

Randy: Me too! In all of my cars and trucks. And the rag was usually one of those red service station rags. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:
I always kept an oil spout wrapped in a rag under the seat.

Randy: Me too! In all of my cars and trucks. And the rag was usually one of those red service station rags. Big Grin

This right here, down to that red rag ...

– John Green, author

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You got it! That's exactly what it was.