New
Find
Notify
Tools

Obesity By Occupation Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted

Although African Hunter is not an occupation I would guess we fall into the 95 percentile judging by the trophy shots posted here.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
They left out "Retired" (and this has nothing whatsoever to do with Africa.)

Posts: 4848 | Location: Clute, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
drivel

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
They left out "Retired" (and this has nothing whatsoever to do with Africa.)

Retired people have more free time to go to the gym or fitness center.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . another interesting look at the data.

Mike

Posts: 21188 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Although African Hunter is not an occupation I would guess we fall into the 95 percentile judging by the trophy shots posted here.

So is this your way of calling AR posters Fat Bastards? Confused

------------------------------
A mate of mine has just told me he's shagging his girlfriend and her twin. I said "How can you tell them apart?" He said "Her brother's got a moustache!"

Posts: 7969 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Whole thing is - too much good processed food and not enough leg work
Staying in shape is more hard work then most professions, except maybe construction trades
Gentlemen, get off your fat ass and get going
Absolutely no excuses unless maybe legless

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is posted here, why?

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Because it's a miscellanious topic. Yeah #1,bad cop,no doughnut. I have a friend you left home @ 16 to join the arny in WW2,Stayed on until 66 when the politics became so bad + went to work for a little company called IBM.Stayed on until retirement always taking shares in the co.After retirement IBM had a policy of sending retirees to any school they wanted to go to.He chose the Colorado Shool Of Gunsmithing. My whole point on thius ramble is that IBM had done a study on the lifetime expectency of a retiree.The average was 18 months.With nothing to do + the loss of self worth came the lazy-boy + bottle of Jack black.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everyone, and I mean even foreigners notice how fat Americans have become. I went from being oblivious, to amazed, to shocked. Now I'm just confused. Go to any all-you-can-eat restaurant and be prepared to watch suicide in action. I've done it in Lake Charles, Orange, any CiCi's Pizza, etc. It's a Hell of a show. People that need double-doors to enter, rush the buffet line with plates in hand, multiple times, race to the counter when fresh cinnamon rolls come out of the oven, basically as quick as the door hinge on the oven squeaks.

The best I ever saw was at an all-you-could-eat country-style restaurant in Odessa, Texas during the 80's bust. A washed-out oilfield hand was trying to make a living with his new restaurant. I went once. I sat in a chair in the middle of the family-style table as soon as the place opened and watched the room fill up. A guy with a diameter as large as his height sat down at the end of the table, for obvious reasons. In a few minutes the food started arriving. The mashed potatoes never got by the guy on the end. He turned the bowl upside-down over his plate and waited for the fried chicken to arrive. Speechless is pretty much how the rest of us felt. The owner went out of business in two months.

Having said all that, I'm obese if I go by the chart in my ex-doctor's office. I don't feel I'm obese. I'm 6', 210. Yeah, my wife thinks the extra pounds tend to settle behind my belt buckle, and she doesn't let it go unnoticed. "Barrigón" is her insult hurled my way on occasion. So what, I say.

The only way I can lose it is for her to go away for a month or so. I lose eight pounds a month away from her cooking. That pretty-much proves I'm not the problem.

Here's my point. I think the scale for obesity is wrong. I don't think we need a category for Morbidly Obese. That's Obese to me. I'm not Obese, I'm just over-weight, or more politely "too short for my weight".

I don't think it has a great deal to do with your occupation, or whether you're retired. Stay active, and watch what you shove down your throat....that's basically it...and probably avoid all-you-can-eat restaurants. You turn into a spectacle, a form of entertainment. No one needs that.

If you are trying to lose a few pounds, good luck to you. Me, I'm just trying to hold my ground. I can get south of 200 pounds, but I would have to live alone or find a woman that can't cook.

...but first, let's get those charts changed, or at least hang them where I can't see them.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sure glad farmers weren't included in the study. Roll Eyes

Posts: 217 | Location: SW of Dodge City | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
My younger sister was in the Missionary service in East Block Europe after the collapse of the USSR for 20 years. When she came back stateside she was amazed + appalled at the physical conditions of the average American.She won't enter Wal-Mart again. Oh + yeah, jfromawk;farmers are'nt that category at all if it's any indication of all that I know. Like the story of the farmer that won the million dollar lottery;+ the papers asked him what he was going to do with all that money. He said he guessed he would just keep farming until it was all gone.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Processed food , sugar , sitting on your arse all day.

A recipe for obesity , heart problems , diabetes , premature death , and a generally unhappy existence at best.

Diabetes is a huge problem in most Pacific Island Nations .

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4456 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote