Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Damn SteakHouses Anywhere Login/Join 
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Petroleum Club in Midland Texas is the best I have ever had. Been to Ruth's Chris and a host of others, but this is the best.

Posts: 10152 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:
Read the label on an A1 bottle, Charlie. It's somewhere between sewage and bilge water. It was invented to mask the foul smell and taste of rancid meat. Yeah, I grew up eating it too.

The original Ruth's Chris on Veterans at Causeway?

There are a bunch steak places within walking distance of my house. Mastros, Mortons, Grill on the Alley, Flemings, etc. I frequent them all except Ruth's Chris since the staff are third world, the clientele are HipHoppers in T-shirts and the food is horrific.

By a wide margin, South Beverly Grill which is part of the Houstons group clobbers the rest and they aren't even steak joint. The beef is prime only from some obscure ranch in WI or some artic locale. My theory - they know how to buy beef, they know how to cook it, and they have a protocol for doing it which is non-negotiable with the help.

I just read the label a "Sweet Chili Garlic Sauce A1" I had on hand, "tomato puree, vinegar, spices, etc.".....hardly bilge water and suits the hell out of me. I happened to buy the Sweet Chili etc on closeout at the local grocery a while back and I like it. However, the orginal A1 has been around and is still selling well for over 180 years so it must be doing something right.

The original Ruth's Chris was known at the time as "Chris's" at 11 Broad St., (I don't know anything about the one on Veteran's and Causeway) owned by Ruth Fertel from the time I first tried it in about 1967 until the last time I ate there, sometime in the mid-70s, before the fire in 1976 (because of a non-compete clause she had to change the name of the new post-fire location at 721 Broad to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse). I can't currently comment on any particular RC Steakhouse, the last one I ate at was some years back in Dallas and it was good....staff, service, and steak. However, a good buddy with good tastes likes them quite well.

If I'm around one, I'll try a South Beverly Grill and let you know what I think.

There's only one South Beverly Grill. If you make it out this way, steak's on me.

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
There's only one South Beverly Grill. If you make it out this way, steak's on me.

A very generous offer. Thank you. I would say I'd buy the wine, but it might be far cheaper to buy the steak. Wink We can work it out if it comes to that.

I dunno, we've got some relatives on my wife's side in Pasadena, but, generally speaking, I try to avoid the LA area these days.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

A very generous offer. Thank you. I would say I'd buy the wine, but it might be far cheaper to buy the steak. Wink We can work it out if it comes to that.

I dunno, we've got some relatives on my wife's side in Pasadena, but, generally speaking, I try to avoid the LA area these days.

You can sneak in and out in the middle of the night. Either way it's still a lot safer than any block of Broad Street in NOLA.

I don't drink wine anymore so you're off the hook there.

Big Grin

Posts: 4828 | Location: IN YOUR POOL | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This one, Steve Fields Steak & Lobster Lounge in Plano, doesn't get the headlines of the others, but they are great. Very friendly, professional service personnel. I should have mentioned them along with Ruth's Chris and III Forks. We go to Steve Fields for birthdays and anniversaries.

http://www.stevefields.com/

Another good one for special occasions is The Mercury in Dallas.

http://www.themercurydallas.com/dinner/

Great steaks at the Mercury, but to be honest, I almost always find something else I want more than their steaks.

The Mercury Thanksgiving buffet is stunning; a full room of tables stuffed with every kind of food you can imagine. All you can eat; and you can't eat it all.

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vic and anthonies in houston serves a pretty awesome steak
Mortons in san antonio (I know there are a bunch, but the one in san antonio is in my opinion the best)

However, I still think I can cook a better steak than just about any steakhouse. I have become friends with the butchers at the local costco and sometimes tip them, and they will go through their eyes and get me the absolute best prime rib eye they have , often times cutting into a couple to find a really good one.

I sous vide the meat with salt and pepper to 133 degrees Fahrenheit and then sear with a blow torch.
Filets go to 128 and then the blow torch.....
This gets you a perfect steak EVERY time.

I also love A1...... on my baked potato.

Posts: 589 | Location: Austin TX, Mexico City | Registered: 17 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DOPPELGANGSTER:
quote:
quote:

You can sneak in and out in the middle of the night. Either way it's still a lot safer than any block of Broad Street in NOLA.

Big Grin

I was in your area a couple of weeks ago. We dined at the Queensview Steakhouse at Parkers Lighthouse in Long Beach. Beautiful view, mediocre steak at best.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeBurke:
quote:
Originally posted by DOPPELGANGSTER:
quote:
quote:

Big Grin

I was in your area a couple of weeks ago. We dined at the Queensview Steakhouse at Parkers Lighthouse in Long Beach. Beautiful view, mediocre steak at best.

Good to know. I rarely have a reason to head into LB, but when I do, there's a hole in the wall diner on Signal Hill out past the Iowa. Very small place with great Mexcentic breaffy and lunch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, here is a list of someone's idea of the top 20 steakhouses in the US. Most of which I never heard of and, if I recall correctly, none of which are in NYC. Bern's and Pappa's in Dallas and Houston are near the top.I would suggest it should be viewed across a large grain of salt.

http://www.bestplacesnow.com/B...r-Steakhouses/1?dv=c

If nothing else, it might help direct someone to a decent steak out in the hinterlands.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I remember reading the best steakhouse lists in the in-flight magazines. I thought it was pretty cool to have been to some until my marketing professor said the steakhouses collaborated to make up the list and the association for their benefit.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nothing is as bad as a bad steak. Tried steak at a Portuguese restaurant in Orlando - terrible. Place is Galletenos - I would stay as far away as possible. Grade F.

Should have driven the extra 7 miles to Texas De Brazil.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Going to Costco manana;they have 1.5" thick ribeyes on sale.Plan on stocking up.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Going to Costco manana;they have 1.5" thick ribeyes on sale.Plan on stocking up.

Costco is the best meat. I should just cook my steaks at home - 1/4 of the cost and just as good.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
Philadelphia - Del Frisco's (I know it's a chain, but ours is in an olde-tyme bank and the atmosphere is fantastic)

Dallas - III Forks. Been there twice on business for a reason. Absolutely fantastic.

Still, though, I'll be that guy and say the best steak I've had overall have been the one's I've grilled at home. Maybe it's the $$$ savings or the taste, but it adds up to me.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:

Costco is the best meat. I should just cook my steaks at home - 1/4 of the cost and just as good.

Mike

I agree. I know a Lebanese butcher who supplies most of the local steakhouses. He ages all his beef a minimum of 21 days, the proper way. I've got some aged as long as 35 days but I've never had a bad steak from him. And I pay the same price as at the grocery store for a nice, thick-cut steak that's not dripping wet because it's been pumped full of water.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
FWIW I've eaten at Peter Lugar's several times over the years and flat don't know what all the fuss is about. Yeah, the steak is okay, service can be snotty, but near or the best in the country. Not to me, not close. Living on a reputation. Cognitive dissonance, everyone says how great it is, so it must be.

Bern's in Tampa is the same way. Great wine list, but the wine is served too cold. Steaks were fair at best. Like dining in a cave, great if you're a bat or with a close female friend other than your wife.

I don't claim to be an expert, because I usually eat several other kinds of food in preference to steaks (which we cook at our house quite often) but Pappa's Steakhouse in Dallas serves a damn fine steak, quite a bit better than the two I mentioned above IMO.

I've eaten at Peter Lugar at least a hundred times when I was in my late 20's and Williamsburg was not for pussies - and I didn't have to go in the afternoon to get a table.

Their Porterhouse was better then.

The Palm actually had better steaks and I preferred it to Peter Lugar because I didn't have to smell Gatsby wannabees...

I've eaten Rib Chops at Maestro's at least a hundred times - pretty good stuff. Their chef used to reserve Kansas City Baseballs for me when they had to occasion to get some. I was a regular at Maestro's for years.

My favorite place to eat now is Roaring Fork -- not because of any other reason than they actually have some damned fine food! They have the best damned burger on Earth and the only better burger is by me, because I buy a prime shoulder and cut the pot roast out and then grind the rest into burgers.

Other than that, I cook at home.

Posts: 4156 | Location: Hell | Registered: 22 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Finally got around to the truth. Good on you!

Posts: 13773 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
quote:

Finally got around to the truth. Good on you!

Food stamps do that Cool

Steaks and bbq advice from Not So Quick Karl makes as much sense as asking him for a Tx deer lease.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You sad little sissies - I almost feel sorry for y'all trying to be rich guys on an Internet forum...

animal

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
quote:
Patricio Gaudiano: I still think I can cook a better steak than just about any steakhouse. I have become friends with the butchers at the local costco and sometimes tip them, and they will go through their eyes and get me the absolute best prime rib eye they have , often times cutting into a couple to find a really good one.
Ditto. Costco has the best tenderloins I have ever eaten.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
quote:
Patricio Gaudiano: I still think I can cook a better steak than just about any steakhouse. I have become friends with the butchers at the local costco and sometimes tip them, and they will go through their eyes and get me the absolute best prime rib eye they have , often times cutting into a couple to find a really good one.
Ditto. Costco has the best tenderloins I have ever eaten.

Costco meat department is the best value for $. Costco is the best retailer hands down - much better than Amazon which is second best.

Costco is a welfare service for its members. Nothing marked up more than 13% - you can get 3% back via Costco credit card and executive membership. 10% markup and best return policy. If only the real welfare state ran 1/4 as efficiently.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe that's why most>90% of their political donations go to the Democratic Party(Hitlery)!

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Of the all the metro areas I have regularly dined in which include:

Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Sacramento, San Diego, Phoenix, Denver, Chicago, Dallas, Austin, Minneapolis, Philadelphia, Boston, NYC, Omaha, Detroit, Washington, DC, Orlando, and Columbus...the best has been:

The Royce at the Langham Hotel in Pasadena, CA

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10056 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll put in a vote for Legal Tender, someplace on the way back from Pinedale...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14372 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Peter Luger's Bklyn & Great Neck NY
rated Zagat's Best for 30 yrs in a row
just beef no BS, been going since '72

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by manhasset:
Peter Luger's Bklyn & Great Neck NY
rated Zagat's Best for 30 yrs in a row
just beef no BS, been going since '72

I used to go to The Palm Too on Second Ave in NYC in the 80's - I loved the place.

I cannot believe they've become a fricken chain restaurant!!!!!

WHAT in GOD'S NAME has this country come to?

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Going to Wolfgang's Steakhouse next week. 33 and Park, NYC

Posts: 6386 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:

Went to the one on 41st St. last year.....it was fantastic....and I've been to all the NYC steakhouses.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
The best steak I ever ate was in a churrascaria in Hermosiilo, Mexico in '07. I almost couldn't finish it because of the all the tripas.

Pretty ironic in that the damn wetbacks in the Houston steakhouses seem to do nothing but fuck up any steak I order rare- always comes up mid rare, which I do not find appetizing. God forbid I ask for one black and blue (very few know what that means). I prefer mine that way as I enjoy the taste of a nice crust but do not like the taste of cooked steak at all.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

How was it?

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our favorite restaurant is the East Side in New Britain, Ct.

They have outstanding food including prime rib and many others.

A primary feature of this place is the fun there!

They have singing and cheers.

If you like turn up your sound and hear them on their site.

East Side site.

Here is the Hunters Lounge at the East Side.

One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
Going to be at the Stoney River in Atlanta next week. Maybe not world class but a dang fine steak. The food and service there has always been excellent.
M

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Very good, shrimp cocktail and tomato & moz. Porterhouse for 2, potato chip fries, cream spinach, tiramasu mit schlag

Been there a few time.

quote:
quote:

How was it?

Posts: 6386 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Very good, shrimp cocktail and tomato & moz. Porterhouse for 2, potato chip fries, cream spinach, tiramasu mit schlag

Been there a few time.

quote:
quote:

How was it?

I have always liked wolfgangs. Like the 33 street location better than midtown one.

In Manhattan my 2 favorite steak houses would be Wolfgangs and Benjamins.

I miss that Rothmans closed down. I was a regular there.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Elbow Room Jamesport, NY and Bristol Lake St. Louis,MO for dining out.

Best I've ever had have been selected and prepared by Gale Johnson.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1215 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the middle of nowhere in West Texas (which happens to be in the middle of everywhere) is a place called the Esplanda Land and Cattle country. I stopped there one time after scouting a deer lease because my regular BBQ joint was closed. It was hands down the best steak I've ever had. A solid 24oz ribeye, with a crappy salad and a baked potato. Nothing fancy, but the single best steak I've ever had. I've eaten at Pappas many times, and El Gaucho, The Butcher Shop, countless Ruth's Chris...none came close (maybe El Gaucho...that baseball sirloin is superb) It's in Dickens, TX if you're ever in the neighborhood. I'll make the 90 minute drive on occasion just to eat there.

If I am working, hunting season is too far away to imagine. If I am getting things ready for hunting season, opening day is perilously close.

Posts: 111 | Location: Llano Estacado | Registered: 12 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get some Wagyu steaks from Bailey Bradshaw, our double rifle guy, and even you can't mess them up.

Posts: 8959 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Beehive in Albany, Texas.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3433 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would think the more relevant question is what is the best steak?

1. Does it matter what kind of steer it comes from.
2. Does it matter what it eats, and when.
3. Does it matter how it was slaughtered.
4. Does it matter how long it has been stored before it is cooked and served.
5. Does it matter how it was stored?

Posts: 2059 | Location: Mpls., MN | Registered: 28 June 2014Reply With Quote