THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    For Texans or those who are thinking about buying ranches here.....

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For Texans or those who are thinking about buying ranches here..... Login/Join 
one of us
posted
I very highly recommend subscribing to Livestock Weekly. It costs $30/year and is out of San Angelo. It comes weekly in a small newspaper type paper size and has a distinct Central/West Texas bias due to it's home location, so those who are thinking of East Texas property should probably look elsewhere. It's been in business since 1949 and each issue usually has an article with some insights into Texas ranching history or current problems facing Texas ranchers, which are often problems that directly affect hunting in Texas. Each issue usually has 4 to 6 pages of Ranches For Sale ads plus the occasional auction ad, often with guns involved. Highly recommended. Besides you will learn more than you ever wanted to know about sheep and goat ranching. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is return on capital - just a ball park number for owning a ranch in texas.

Passive ownership.

Seems like a good way to spend $30 if one is looking to buy land.

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is return on capital - just a ball park number for owning a ranch in texas.

I dunno, like anything else it depends on what you buy and how much you pay. Very few people have lost money on ranches in Texas unless they went crazy on costs of improvements (homes, etc). I feel certain that over the last 50 years or so, it has probably exceeded the S&P index. Just for instance, I bought a fair chunk of land here in NE Texas less than 20 years ago and it has appreciated well over 400%. Others, especially in the Hill Country have done much better. The Hill Country, in particular, is population price driven. It's unbelievably high right now. Due for a correction? Possibly, they happen? But land, if well purchased by a knowledgeable buyer is one of the few things that you can use, enjoy, and get real psychic and fiscal returns off of. Beats the hell out of women, who cost more as they depreciate. Big Grin

If you have the cash, think attractive river frontage property in the I-35 corridor or just W
of it. Remember, that unlike stocks, there is often a large difference between ask and bid, and the final selling price may be somewhere in the middle or not, depending on property and buyer and seller.

Personally I've been buying land in SW Texas but it is basically desert and a slow go on rise in values IMO. However, there are some damn attractive places on the Rio Grande that are significantly below "normal" values due to wetback issues. IMO, that issue won't last forever and when it is fixed, the properties should catch up. I'm not a realtor (and have ZERO monetary interest in someone buying any property but ones that I own), but there is a fairly nice 1700 acre property on Devil's River (by far the most beautiful river in Texas, IMO) but it was purchased by a lawyer a couple of years back for about $2400-2500/acre and he is now asking $3000 or $5 million. Devil's River property is expensive but you can get a significant part of your purchase price back by selling easements to the Nature Conservancy, but it restricts your usage significantly. If you get serious about Central or W Texas property, then I can put you in touch with my realtor who believes in buying them cheap. Friend has a beautiful 600 plus acre with nice home property on Nueces R. but wants about $6000/ acre, which I think is high, but he will almost certainly get it or come very close.

The property I'm buying is less than 10% of that per acre price but it is worth about 10% of it, too. My theory is that people will pay $100 more per acre if they want it pretty easily, and $100 on plenty of acres at a purchase price of $500/acre is a 20% return. The land I'm buying now was significantly higher prior to '07, but with the oil price issue may get cheaper. Quien sabe?

I recall the last time I mentioned property prices or values a few years back, Crazy Horse Consulting, came into the discussion and told me I didn't know sic'em from sooey about property values in Texas. Of course, ask him how many acres he owns or has bought in his lifetime? Wink

One final thought, I have been discussing Central/W Tx properties, but buying productive timber property in E Texas is a helluva fine way to build a fortune, slowly but surely and with intermittent returns as you thin or cut the timber growth.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Much of the recent appreciation of land prices in TX is due to new oil & gas production techniques (fracking) in the Eagle Ford & Permian Basin fields, where lots of land and mineral property owners got rich on $100 oil and spent proceeds on more land, driving up prices. If oil stays below $40-50 for much longer, expect a pullback in rural real estate values as royalty income falls. Already happening in south TX and the Hill Country, where inventory is starting to build in areas where prices have risen about 50% in the last couple years.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
quote:

I dunno, like anything else it depends on what you buy and how much you pay. Very few people have lost money on ranches in Texas unless they went crazy on costs of improvements (homes, etc). I feel certain that over the last 50 years or so, it has probably exceeded the S&P index. Just for instance, I bought a fair chunk of land here in NE Texas less than 20 years ago and it has appreciated well over 400%. Others, especially in the Hill Country have done much better. The Hill Country, in particular, is population price driven. It's unbelievably high right now. Due for a correction? Possibly, they happen? But land, if well purchased by a knowledgeable buyer is one of the few things that you can use, enjoy, and get real psychic and fiscal returns off of. Beats the hell out of women, who cost more as they depreciate. Big Grin

If you have the cash, think attractive river frontage property in the I-35 corridor or just W
of it. Remember, that unlike stocks, there is often a large difference between ask and bid, and the final selling price may be somewhere in the middle or not, depending on property and buyer and seller.

Personally I've been buying land in SW Texas but it is basically desert and a slow go on rise in values IMO. However, there are some damn attractive places on the Rio Grande that are significantly below "normal" values due to wetback issues. IMO, that issue won't last forever and when it is fixed, the properties should catch up. I'm not a realtor (and have ZERO monetary interest in someone buying any property but ones that I own), but there is a fairly nice 1700 acre property on Devil's River (by far the most beautiful river in Texas, IMO) but it was purchased by a lawyer a couple of years back for about $2400-2500/acre and he is now asking $3000 or $5 million. Devil's River property is expensive but you can get a significant part of your purchase price back by selling easements to the Nature Conservancy, but it restricts your usage significantly. If you get serious about Central or W Texas property, then I can put you in touch with my realtor who believes in buying them cheap. Friend has a beautiful 600 plus acre with nice home property on Nueces R. but wants about $6000/ acre, which I think is high, but he will almost certainly get it or come very close.

The property I'm buying is less than 10% of that per acre price but it is worth about 10% of it, too. My theory is that people will pay $100 more per acre if they want it pretty easily, and $100 on plenty of acres at a purchase price of $500/acre is a 20% return. The land I'm buying now was significantly higher prior to '07, but with the oil price issue may get cheaper. Quien sabe?

I recall the last time I mentioned property prices or values a few years back, Crazy Horse Consulting, came into the discussion and told me I didn't know sic'em from sooey about property values in Texas. Of course, ask him how many acres he owns or has bought in his lifetime? Wink

One final thought, I have been discussing Central/W Tx properties, but buying productive timber property in E Texas is a helluva fine way to build a fortune, slowly but surely and with intermittent returns as you thin or cut the timber growth.

Very Informative

I am looking at land in North florida, and southern Mississippi (where friends have farms/hunting) - there is timber play in this. In North florida bill gates cascade is buying large tracts of land. I need to look at tx too.

I have just never owned real property before so it is a learning curve.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Texas ranches all come with oil wells ? Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grizzly Adams:
Texas ranches all come with oil wells ? Big Grin

Grizz

No, some of them only have gas wells and some of them have both. Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of the time the minerals were severed years ago. But Gato, if you have a good agent on land in South Texas, with minerals preferably, but even without, I'd be interested. Looking to retire soon and since I was born on the Rio, I wouldn't mind returning despite current conditions.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lavaca:

As you are well aware, many properties in S. Tx or anywhere in Tx, for that matter, are hard to find with minerals. Either they have been severed or the seller keeps them. However, some places have classified mineral tracts which, of course, go with the tract. PM me and I'll give him your number with your permission or, I'll give you his number and you can call him at your convenience. He's no spring chicken, well into his 70s.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I personally would not buy any land w/o mineral rights. Even if you are only interested in the surface rights you do not have complete control if you don't control the subsurface rights too. I've seen too many formerly beautiful ranches in South & West TX badly disfigured by exploration & drilling activity. If you own the minerals too and have a good lease, then fine, but reparations for surface damage never fully compensate the owner and are usually a pittance, not to mention people coming on your property whenever. That said, it is now nearly impossible to find land with all the minerals in South TX. If so, you will pay dearly for it.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
reparations for surface damage never fully compensate the owner and are usually a pittance, not to mention people coming on your property whenever.

I certainly can't speak for all cases, but in my case the reparations for surface damages on my land in E Texas FAR EXCEEDED the value of the land and timber on it. We surveyed every stick of the timber, sold the surface damages to the land for about 3 times what the current per acre values were and then the oil company let us salvage the timber instead of pushing it in a hole. In my case I wish they'd take it all for drilling.

There's no doubt that owning the min. rights or, at least, executive rights, is better, but that won't happen on many ranches that are near any production in Texas these days. Generally speaking a buyer would be lucky to get any rights, much less all of them.

It's too bad that Texas law is unlike La. law where, without production, the mineral rights revert to the land owner after, I believe, 10 years.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
South Tx usually doesn't have much of value on the surface, no timber, etc. When the oil companies come on your land, you generally don't get that much compensation for the damage they do, which can be extensive (roads, pipelines, pad sites, birms, pump jacks, tanks, unlimited egress, etc.) But when you own the minerals, who cares?

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
If anyone is interested I have a friend/rancher/realtor that specializes in ranch properties here in central Tx. Be glad to forward his #. You're right Gato,the property values around here have gone crazy.Every year it is a fight with the appraisal district.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote