New
Find
Notify
Tools

What to do about about work? Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted
Right now I have the most favorite civilian job I have ever had as far as getting along with the people etc. My favorite by far. However there is not a lot of room for growth I could probably be in the same spot I am now in 10 more years.
I can apply for a company that has openings near Midland Tx, Carlsbad N.M., Wyoming, Washington State etc and depending on the job make 20k to 40k more a year than I make now becuase i would be working plenty of overtime. Even if this place were to hire me I would probably stay just about 3 years or so to save the money.
If you were in my shoes would you take the risk on a job you don't know for sure if you will even like or not just for the extra money, or would you just keep the current job you like and just look to pick up some extra money doing something else?

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first question that comes to mind is how stable is your current position? That is, if the economy collapses, will you still have a job? If so, I'd be reluctant to leave your current position, given how much you like it and, I assume, you current location. If not, a change for more money is not such a risk.

The second is a reflection of the first...how stable are the job openings you're considering?

Third, is money a driving force in your current (or possibly future) situations or is being more content in a job you like a serious plus?

Only you can answer these thoughts, but based on what you have written, I'd slightly lean towards advising you to keep your current job, be efficient and aggressive quality employee and hope to improve your position there.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
the cost of living in 2 of the places you've mentioned ... midland, tx and Carlsbad, nm would nearly eat up any benefit of the extra $$$... I live in san angelo, tx... about 125 miles from midland... workers are driving 200plus miles a day from midland to surrounding areas to find apartments, rent houses.... unless you wanna live in a travel trailer and cook your own meals, it's really not worth the costs.... check out the rental situation before you decide...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2826 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When you say Midland and Carlsbad, I think oil. That will mean when things are booming in oil, as they are now, the opportunities seem endless. When that boom ends, and there are signs now, you're toast. (Last hired, first fired) If you put money into anything in that environment (a house for instance) you will be buying High and selling Low when the economy dies and you have to leave.

If the move is just a stepping stone to get somewhere else (you mention three years) maybe it's not a bad bet. Will that experience lead to a better career opportunity, or just more money. If you are in your twenties you can recover from a career "mistake". If you are in your forties, not so much.

If your skills are transferable to another industry, you probably won't get trapped.

In your current position, what would it take to make yourself indispensable, or qualify for your boss's job. If you can attain that in three years, think about staying put.

All things to consider. Money isn't everything.

Posts: 13771 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jarrod, I'm in Tennessee too and have always liked the place a lot and wouldn't move anyway (excepting if anywhere, to Florida, for the weather). But then, I'm retired.

If in your situation, you decide, is it the company you're with, or the state and area itself that attracts you. As far as your companions, fact is you can make friends anywhere. I wouldn't worry too much about that. Besides, they will come and go anyway in time even if you do stay. But if you just like the location, then scout around for a different but better paying job locally with better advancement possibilities.

However, being in your working years, remember that a man's main purpose in life is to provide.

So, I'd always try to better myself. And don't stagnate, or be one of those who could have gone much farther, but chose to take a certain set in life and be satisfied way too young to be content to watch your peers pass you by. You'll regret it later.

Btw, Tennessee, Texas, Wyoming and Washington are all non state income tax. New Mexico isn't. So you're thinking right in that regard. That's a step in the right direction. But, I'd now avoid WA state because of the gun laws. That's if guns and hunting are significant in your life.

Good luck.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, be true to yourself. Don't allow yourself to take a job you won't enjoy, even if it means promotions, higher pay, all that unimportant stuff, even if it's with a company and in an area you like.

I Learned that through bitter experience. Because I was a top notch problem analyzer and solution deviser, I kept getting promoted to top level management jobs. At the same time I was one of the world's worst people managers...never could quite decide when to micromanage my employees, and when it was appropriate to let them spread their wings on their own. In the first situation they felt oppressed, and in the latter they felt abandoned. And I felt miserable every day. Made the last 20 years of my corporate work life very lucrative in the money aspect, but a miniature Hell in all other respects.

I eventually said "no more" to that B.S., and opened my own small business in a field where I needed no employees. I only earned about a third of what I made per year in corporate life, but I could live wherever I wanted, close the doors for up to several months if I wished, and enjoy what I was doing and how I was living.

I had finally learned to smell the roses, but 20 years of them had withered and died.

So be true to yourself. Decide what you want to do in the way of earning an income, and ENJOY your life. YOU CAN make that happen! And, you'll be better off in both the short and long runs. After all, tomorrow could be your last sunset. So, to paraphrase the bard, Live, Love, and be Happy, for tomorrow we may die.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Alberta Canuck:

I finally learned, and opened my own small business in a field where I needed no employees. I only earned about a third of what I made per year in corporate life, but I could live wherever I wanted, close the doors for up to several months if I wished, and enjoy what I was doing and how I was living.

Hell, yes. I abandoned a good job with nice people in 2000 to open a freelance engineering business, same scenario. I don't make a lot of money doing it but haven't bought a box of Pepto-Bismol since. There are stresses but they're not the kind that kill. It's a better life.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14361 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Just remember,Good employees are hard to find; an asshole boss you can find anywhere.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Made the last 20 years of my corporate work life very lucrative in the money aspect,

That makes it much easier to move on. I am about in the same boat myself and getting ready to bag it!

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Made the last 20 years of my corporate work life very lucrative in the money aspect,

quote:
Good employees are hard to find; an asshole boss you can find anywhere.

That's the same line my employees use!

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe they are right or maybe they are on the doughnut dole (or want to be) I prefer the latter.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Addendum: Is'nt it a shame to expect employees to perform their jobs? I work my shop myself:if I could clone myself I would,but I cannot count anymore on new help.It is cheaper for me to work extra hours (weekends,etc.) than to put on dead weight.( Oh yeah,if you're the boss,you get to take off work + go fishing any time you want) I have not been fishing in over 40 years./I have instated in my sons the work ethic;more pity that more Americans did not do the same.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whatever you do, do not make an emotional decision. In addition, study the current economies (cost of living) where you are considering.

I do a lot of work in Midland, and have an office there. $20k more would never be worth moving there. There are great people, but I do not enjoy the day to day life there (just my opinion).

It sounds as if you already have a great job. If it has great retirement and you can do what you love to do, why switch?

Having said this, I am faced with a very similar decision. Its very easy to give advice, but difficult to choose when the shoes are on your own feet Confused

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Oops forgot to reply to this. I have thought about it and have decided I am just going to stay put for a while. I do get tired of all the traffic and congestion as I am in Nashville now. (my hometown growing up had about 400). I will just make the best of it here for a few more years probably.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote