Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

White Pine Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
How does one remove the seeds from a white Pine and how to grow them. (do they have to freeze through winter first?)

KJK

Posts: 676 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 December 2020Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
They would require cold stratification to germinate.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a friend that went hunting in Colorado several years ago + brought me back a little zip-lock bag of some seeds that I intended to freeze + then plant, just to see what they would do. I don't know if they would grow here or not, as my soil is alkaline + the winters in general are mild. Moot point, though, as the bag was in my shop + the mice ate them all.

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want some white pine seedlings.

Come to north west Wis. I have thousands of them I intend to mow off or hit with round up. next spring.

PM me if interested.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Put them in your refrigerator for at least two months to break their dormancy (Wendel & Smith, 1990). After chilling, plant the seeds in individual pots filled with potting mix, and keep the mix moist. It will take several months for the seeds to germinate." from a Google search

I presume the seeds come from cones, so acquire some mature cones and dig for the seeds at the base of the cone petals.

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeez, white pine smells mice...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14332 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman:

What's the chance those seeds were pinion nuts for you to eat??

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5935 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George, might have been; it's been several years ago. Regardless, they are gone just the same. I would have liked to see if they would grow down in the bottom.

Posts: 4103 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You need to take a whole un-opened pine cone and put it in the oven with a bit of heat, they will open and eject the seeds all over the place. Put the pine cones in a paper bag. That is why the seeds open in a forest fire.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good tip, thanks. I will pay the shipping if any of you guys want to send me a couple of cones. I would like to see if they will grow here. Thanks, Randy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randy, white pine probably won't do well there. I bet you are too hot and dry. Maybe go with short-leaf pine.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, you are probably right. I know that pines do well in east Texas where there is more rainfall but here my soil is alkaline + as you say, temps are hot + dry. Down in the bottom, my Pecans do well + the live + red oaks do well all over.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's too hot and dry in the summer where I live for white pines too but we do have a native pine, the short leaf, which is similar enough to WP. Maybe try them in your bottom area. My area is the northern reach of the species and they are quite beautiful and give you that wind whispering through the pines sound.

Your state conservation department may have a seedling sale like ours does. They would have plants native to your climate and would be a good source.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good thought.
I haven't been to the county extension agent's office in years. They used to, + possibly still do, adjust + set your pressure cookers for free. Just another service that they are paid to provide; more folks need to know this.