THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Night driving glasses - recommendations needed

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Night driving glasses - recommendations needed Login/Join 
posted
After two cataract removal surgeries, I find the glare of oncoming vehicles' headlights to be a problem.

I'm looking for clear lenses, with anti-reflective coatings on both sides.

What do you folks use?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting! My wife is due to have cataract surgery in both eyes. is this a common issue?
I see ads on TV for driving glasses that are supposed to reduce night driving glare.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I would LOVE to hear any results here. I have had cataract surgery in both eyes + my night vision is impaired to the point that I can not tell the distance of the oncoming headlights.It makes night time driving damn near impossible unless life threatening.But then my driving when I can't see is life threatening as well IMO.(Another case of our Government at work).

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I had good luck with yellow lenses in a darkness of 2.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought two pair from Bed and Bath for about ten bucks a pair. They are designed to fit over your existing glasses and you can wear them alone. They work well at night and in heavy downpours.

Walmart probably has them.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xgrunt:
I bought two pair from Bed and Bath for about ten bucks a pair. They are designed to fit over your existing glasses and you can wear them alone. They work well at night and in heavy downpours.

Walmart probably has them.

Are they polarized? One of these days I'm going to get cataracts fixed, not in a hurry because my nearsighted vision is just right for soldering small surface mounted electronic parts. I'm wondering if new lenses will ruin that in favor of better distance vision.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14362 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
This is funny.

Both me and my wife had LASIK operations - me twice.

She has to wear anti glare glasses at night, I don’t.

I hardly ever wear sun glasses - even while hunting in Africa.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
It wasn't LASIK that caused my sensitivity to glare, it was the cataract (lens replacement) surgeries.

Saeed, what brand of anti-glare glasses does Hana use?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I never considered the amber lenses. (clip on's)I have a pair that I use for skeet but never thought about their use in nocturnal uses.Thanks for the tip.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I just had two cataract removal surgeries myself in February. I believe that my cataracts were due to age and being out in the sun for years hunting, fishing, etc. without proper sunglasses. I too, have some issues with the night glare of lights. It's a different glaring light issue than the one that I had before cataract surgery. I had the multifocal Tecnis Symfony lenses put in both eyes, allowing for focus at any distance, and some Lasik to correct some slight vision issues. I am going to look into the lenses recommended on this post for night driving. In spite of this, avoiding having cataract surgery should not be an option. And yes, Saeed, what does Hannah wear at night?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have cataracts. Ten years ago I didn't wear glasses. I now have bifocals, polarized lens, etc. My vision has been fairly stable the past two-three years. But, I find I struggle with night driving more frequently, especially, if it is raining.

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I just had two cataract removal surgeries myself in February. I believe that my cataracts were due to age and being out in the sun for years hunting, fishing, etc. without proper sunglasses. I too, have some issues with the night glare of lights. It's a different glaring light issue than the one that I had before cataract surgery. I had the multifocal Tecnis Symfony lenses put in both eyes, allowing for focus at any distance, and some Lasik to correct some slight vision issues. I am going to look into the lenses recommended on this post for night driving. In spite of this, avoiding having cataract surgery should not be an option. And yes, Saeed, what does Hannah wear at night?

Normal light tented glasses.

I never really was a fan of sunglasses, and hardly ever wear them.

I spend so much time out in the sun, without glasses.

I am going to be 69 years old soon, and my doctor has given up telling me what to do.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66907 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I assiduously wore sunglasses but came up with cataracts. Go figure.
George

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never considered the amber lenses. (clip on's)I have a pair that I use for skeet but never thought about their use in nocturnal uses.Thanks for the tip.

I have a pair of prescription amber lens glasses that I use for skeet. I will give them a shot for night vision. But, I am not sure what my problem is! I CAN see fine at night. Where I have a problem is night time driving in the rain!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter,

Me too!

I'm sitting at work and hear the thunder getting closer. Hopefully, the weather will keep most people off the roads!

Tom

Posts: 341 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 21 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had cataract surgeries for both eyes several years ago, still need glasses with a mild prescription. Ordered a pair of prescription glasses with clear polarized lenses and a Crizal anti-glare coating. Works really well for me.

Posts: 74 | Location: United States | Registered: 07 October 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I picked up a pair of Gargoyles Cardinal-PR Cut-Away glasses with clear lenses today.
They have anti-reflective coating on both sides of the lenses and worked well tonight.

George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pilot and Flying J has a couple of different styles. One clips on the regular prescription glasses, the other is called a fir over. I have both. I call them amber vision, also good for hunting early in the am and toward sundown. Grab a manager and they will let you go outside to try them out.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 582 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah I have heard from he opthomologist that amber lenses were determental to vision.I guess we get all kinds of opinions;anyone KNOW some straight poop?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The original theory for amber glasses while shooting clay birds was that they made the (orange) bird "stand out" better against the background (blue) sky ie. increased contrast. I don't know how this would work with night vision, and I don't know why your ophthalmologist would say it was detrimental to vision.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
He claimed (+ he was the only one I ever heard say this)that it was due to the "fact" that when shooting skeet your head was down a good bit of the time (not mine) + not in direct contact with the sun for lengthy periods. Sounds like B.S.
This has been several years ago. I'm going to my new ophthalmologist this week for a dilation+ I will pose the question with this guy.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Please let us know what you find out. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will do.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was bowling the other day and a friend showed up in yellow night driving glasses. I was giving him a hard time until I put them on. Talk about light up the place. They did. I remember using yellow lenses for skiing and shooting, but these were five times better. He got them from Walmart for less than twenty dollars. Whether they are good for post cataract surgery issues is questionable. I found the glare and halos after cataract surgery just dissipated by themselves in time.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote