Find
Notify
Tools

Beer Ratings.... Login/Join 
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchlambert:
Charlie,I can't speak to all listed, but a few are nasty tasting!

I didn't know you were shy. If you don't like them, rank them according to your tastes.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good Lord man! Broken record, dead horse, etc.....spare us!

When ANY of you dick suckers start paying for my beer,your opinion MIGHT matter!!! Until then Eat Shit and Die Cunts!!!!!

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I won't be among the dick suckers you hang with. Such a pitiful little man.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
The German restaurant that I lunch at sometimes has a nice selection. Warsteiner Dunkel is good and Spaten too.

quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:
quote:
Revolver Blood and Honey,

To me that is a really good beer. Today I managed to find some Warsteiner Dunkel which I enjoy. I like Heineken, many folks don't and Stella Artois, which is one of those beers a person has to develop a taste for in my opinion.

Posts: 6380 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Good Lord man! Broken record, dead horse, etc.....spare us!

When ANY of you dick suckers start paying for my beer,your opinion MIGHT matter!!! Until then Eat Shit and Die Cunts!!!!!

You need your foul mouth washed out with soap old man......and you'll have to look elsewhere to suit your fancy of having your dick sucked by men.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Then QUIT telling folks the types of beer they like is WRONG!

Grow your asses up and be damned THANKFUL that people have choices of what beer they like or want to drink.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I don't know what I wandered into here + am not sure I want to,or to back up + read it all. I know these things get off kilter as the postings go,but was not the main issue about beer ratings? Can we start again? I like Newcastle as a dark lager + Bitburger as a light Pilsner.Now,how hard was that?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Only beer I ever drank that on a hung-over morning,

Know how to keep from having a hang over???????

Don't stop drinking!

That only works until you fall asleep or pass out, then you are really going to be one sick puppy.

BH63

Hunting buff is better than sex!

Posts: 2205 | Registered: 29 December 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never have passed out on beer and wake up every morning ready to face what comes.

I learned a long time ago that drinkiong enough to pass out or have a hang over was for amatuers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read an article a few years ago about an Anthropologist that was studying the Inuits,+ commenting on how every night they were just falling drunk out of the saloons.They never had hangovers because they were never sober. His deduction that the chief cause of Alcoholism was "hair of the dog".I think he had something there;although I fail to see that a grant was necessary to see that.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the interests of comparison, I am adding the ratings from beeradvocate.com plus the ABV content to the OP list. For space reasons, the first number is the score out of 5.0 and the second is the alcohol content.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another trip to BWW in Texarkana to celebrate my daughter (soon to graduate from UT Austin in biomedical engineering) getting and taking a new job offer. Fittingly for someone from Austin, she will be residing in Madison, Wis another liberal stronghold. I tried Rahr Texas Red (really fine), Stella Artois (much better than I expected since my past tastings of same had been poor), and unidentified Goose Island (couldn't or misread the tap label, so no report, but it was somewhat better than the IPA, which I really don't like) and finally the often seen on TV with an orange slice (which thankfully was not on the one I ordered) Blue Moon Belgian White, which was drinkable but not great. Maybe my taste buds were off, but all the beers were drinkable last night and I enjoyed each of them.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
Another trip to BWW in Texarkana to celebrate my daughter (soon to graduate from UT Austin in biomedical engineering) getting and taking a new job offer.

Most excellent! Congratulations to her (and you).

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Charlie,when she picked up that Hi-Power last year there was no looking back.I saw it in her eyes.That pistol was gone from my existence.It could not have gone to a better home.I wish your daughter the best in her future endeavors.....The P- 35 damn sure does'nt hurt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Charlie,when she picked up that Hi-Power last year there was no looking back.I saw it in her eyes.That pistol was gone from my existence.It could not have gone to a better home.I wish your daughter the best in her future endeavors.....The P- 35 damn sure does'nt hurt.

That was the younger one, not the one above. I don't think she is the one someone would want to mess with. After a series of attacks on women in the UT area, I told her she should take a self defense course. She looked at me all wide-eyed and said, "I wouldn't need one if I could carry my 9mm." Of course, she can't, YET.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Went to Texarkana tonight to a local chain, Gusano's (worms in Spanish), which has a decent selection of draft beers and, depending on choices, quite good pizza. I tried some Zeigenbock, a couple of Armadillo IPA (very hoppy, too much for my tastes, and finally, an Angry Orchard Extra Crisp Apple Cider. Zeigenbock, which is fairly popular, is a light tan beer taste, decent but not outstanding. Apple Cider tastes just like a mouthful of fresh cold apple juice which ain't all bad for a dessert type drink.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
But she will;+ w/that piece she is on top of the world.I trust John Moses.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Murphy's wss another good one. Not sure they are still around. There's a hole in the wall pub called Jeremy's near the Brooklyn bridge, good hamburgers and fries and a mega foam cup of Murphy's. Moose on the wall, bras hanging everywhere.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My son, Adam, drove home from Golden, Co for spring break. I was glad to see him. I needed some muscle to help move furniture. At any rate, he brought with him some "second cru" Coors beer, called Colorada Native IPL (India Pale Lager) supposedly only made and available in Colorado and maybe closely surrounding areas. I really liked it. According to label, they brewed it IPA style but used lager yeast. The end product, to me, is a very find brew. Rated in list.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
While taking my tax information to my accountant (only 6 months early since I typically always use an extension) my wife and I stopped into our favorite wine supply store....World Market, used to be known as World Bazaar. They usually have some kind of promotional sale going on and we were able to stock up on a case or two of their remaining supply of Josh 2015 Legacy, to my tastes, a very drinkable red at a cost of $12/bottle. While there, I picked up a couple of six packs of beer, one of which was Bass Pale Ale in bottles. Served cold, it is really fine, and, not surprisingly to many in here, could easily replace Budweiser as my "go-to" daily quaff. Rated in second post of this thread.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
BTW along the same lines, World Market has a current sale of 30% off ALL their beers for "National Beer Day". Sale runs today and tomorrow only, but at 30% off there are some real bargains to be had.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Was looking up World Market=Cost Plus= Bed bath and beyond. None in NYC/LI (with beer)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I dunno about the NYC area. They are relatively common being in most big cities, Dallas, Houston, Shreveport, etc in La and Tex. Several in the DFW area.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Got friends and co-workers in Grapevine, Coppel and Wimberley . I'll pass it on :-)

one of us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, which may be zero, there is a World Market in NYC @ 630 6th Ave. However, if NYs liquor laws are anywhere near as screwed up as Texas's, they may or may not have beer/wine. Also one in Brooklyn according to their store locator web site.

The one I usually go to is off 75 in Plano. 1201 N. Central Xprssway. Also one near Central Market (great grocery store) at 5500 Greenville Ave. I like World Markets, they have an excellent selection of wines (however, nothing to compare with Spec's) and quite a few rare beers, also from time to time have a sale on very decent wine glasses and fairly often seem to run very good sales on wines, said sales getting price down to or below Spec's levels, which are very good.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Thanks , I think they are Cost Plus stores. NYC is weird (we all know) even Traders Joes can't sell it's 2 buck chuck wine in all stores.(or did the price go up)

Tonight I had a Shock Top - Belgian White. OK OK I had 2 :-) Not like Blue Moon, I got this weird Budweiser nose from it. A bit sweet?

I'm checking online, the store is in Chelsea, you are right. They've got a lot of beer online but it's all NA in this store

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, being well indoctrinated by the clever "Dilly, Dilly" ads featuring Bud Light, I foolishly bought a 12 pack of the aluminum "cans" shaped like bottles, and tried it, to my regret. Poor beer would be the best I could say about it, very lite watery flavor with a very slight citrus nose. IMO by far the worst of the commonly available "lights" the others being, Miller's and Coor's. Luckily a spinoff of Bud Light, Bud Light Lime, is one of my favorite quaffs.

I am informed by my good buddy Kenso, AKA Hog Slayer, that AB INBEV is now coming out with a Bud Light Orange, in their opinion, to appeal to women beer drinkers. Sounds pretty horrible to me, if I want to drink orange flavor, they still make orange juice. However, as soon as I can get some, I'll report on it.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gato,next time in Austin to see the kids,take them to "The Tavern" at 12th + Lamar.Best beer on tap + great food!(an old building with a history;one being that it was a whorehouse in the 20's catering to the congressmen among others.)Great burgers + fries;the chicken fried steak is still out for voting. I give it 100% rating but then I am more favorable on the chicken fried steak at Threadgill's. (insider tip here;if you go to Threadgill's South + get the supper that includes 2 extra sides;get the SWISS,SPINACH CASSEROLE!!!There are refills on the sides + that is one that needs refilling.Just my tastes of course but very true.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Randy:

Local knowledge is always a valuable source. Thanks. You'd think with 3 kids going or been to UT they would know it all, but, like most kids at school, they are on a budget and pizza is about as off road as they get. There is an all you can eat sushi place, name forgotten as I write, that is worthy of a visit, but, as you would expect, very crowded, don't know if they take reservations or not. Asked and it is called Sushi Junai, now with second location Sushi Junai 2 which is recommended.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
Thanks , I think they are Cost Plus stores. NYC is weird (we all know) even Traders Joes can't sell it's 2 buck chuck wine in all stores.(or did the price go up)

Tonight I had a Shock Top - Belgian White. OK OK I had 2 :-) Not like Blue Moon, I got this weird Budweiser nose from it. A bit sweet?

I'm checking online, the store is in Chelsea, you are right. They've got a lot of beer online but it's all NA in this store

The best beer store in NYC is good beer in the lower east side. I go there every time I visit the city.

Posts: 1278 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best is the beer that you brew yourself! Smiler

Edelweiß Hefe-Weizen:

An American-style Wit (think Blue Moon, only better):

Kentucky Common:

Grapefruit Honey Ale:

An experiment using Maris Otter malt, Wheat and Czech Kazbek hops - called "Das Otterweizen":

Chocolate Maple Porter:

Root Beer Stout:

West Coast Golden Strong Ale:

Mexican Hot Chocolate Stout:

A Belgian Dubbel with Montana-distilled bourbon:

Dunkels Weißbier:

A plain, ol' American Pale Ale that is simply outstanding:

A hefeweizen with a kiss of apricot:

A Belgian Abbey Ale that was VERY good:

A bad photo of a very good smoked hefeweizen:

An Irish Red Ale with Montana buffaloberries (also known as bullberries):

Pecan Pie Amber Ale:

This one was so good, I took two photos:

Cranberry Wheat:

Many more, but you get the idea....

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
English Pale Ale:

An American Cream Ale, brewed by my dad:

Better pictures of the Winter Wheat and American Pale Ales:

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For old times sake, picked up a six pack of Red Stripe lager from Jamaica. Not as good as I remembered it from about 50 years ago in Montego Bay taking the edge off the smoke from cigar size joints rolled out of a grocery sack, but still not a bad beer.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
In order to save my fellow Arers from the horrors of Bud Light Orange, I had my wife pick up a pack of 12 oz bottles from local Walmarts. It is supposed to be marketed for women. I can't image anyone liking to drink this stuff unless they were dying of thirst. Has more of an orange aroma than Light Lime has of lime. Tastes like very diluted orange juice. Nearly undrinkable IMO. Don't buy it, you have been warned. Rated in list on page one.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw that stuff once - a little scary, at the least.

Don't get me wrong - when used judiciously, a little citrus can be great in a beer; I cite Belgian Wits as an example. I've had other examples and most were good, but something about the Bud Lite one really put me off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing folks that really enjoy beer need to keep in mind or learn to understand, is that when a brewery introduces a "New Beer" targeting a specific audience, such as women and the 20's to mid 30's crowd, if you enjoy really good beer, you ain't gonna like the stuff being introduced.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to add Bud Light Orange to the list of "don't buy" beers. My plan is to take the eleven unopened bottles to Gato, even though he had some unkind things to say about the brew.

Stella is a very, very nice beer. When I'm in the right mood Beck is nice. Other international brands I liked were:

Polar (heavy on the "a", not like the bear) in Venezuela.
Tiger in Singapore.
Singha in Thailand.
Kirin in Japan.
I was OK with Bintang in Indonesia

I did not like Australian beer or their rum (How does Bundaberg make about twenty variations of rum; none of them with a smooth taste. They could make a good rum, but why bother when imported rum is so heavily taxed as to make it unbuyable. I found a bottle of $20.00 Anniversario one time in Perth. That was the Dallas price ($7.00 in Maracaibo, Venezuela) They were asking over $125 in Perth.)

I found Heineken beer in every country I ever lived in, and I hated it. The aftertaste would last into the middle of next week.

Back to beer. Anyone wanting eleven bottles of Bud Light Orange, and willing to pay shipping, please let me know.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, remember the Singha on R&R in Bangkok many years ago. Another that comes to mind is San Miguel from the Philippines. Both, I thought, were pretty good beers.

I learned while in the Corps, bad beer is better than no beer.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Yes, remember the Singha on R&R in Bangkok many years ago. Another that comes to mind is San Miguel from the Philippines. Both, I thought, were pretty good beers.

I learned while in the Corps, bad beer is better than no beer.

Unlike my destemmed friend Kensco, I find Stella Artois to be a poor beer.

Sawatdee Krab.

Singha, properly drunk in Thailand out of liter bottles, is a wonderful adjunct to hot Thai food. It helps if a lovely long legged Thai girl is pouring it for you.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I were staying at a resort in Phuket once. As we came out of the room one morning, a couple came out a few doors down. He was about 80, carrying an oxygen bottle, and moving very slow. She was maybe 20, wearing next to nothing. I always wondered if he went in needing oxygen, or only needed it after the Happy Ending. They made a lovely couple.

Most rig Expats that moved to Phuket or Pattaya claimed they would never live anywhere else. Probably had something to do with the beer.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote