THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Anyone with paranormal activity in your house?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone with paranormal activity in your house? Login/Join 
one of us
posted
For the last 10 years Vicki and I have been living in a split level home. It was built in the 1970's and we are the second owners. The original owners left 11 years ago when the wife died at home and the husband packed up and moved out west. Since we have lived here there has been and continues to be one unusual occurrence. Whenever we leave the home for a few days, upon our return, the thermostats are set to heat and the temp to 80 degrees F. We just returned today from a 3 day trip. When we left the thermostats were on A/C and the temp at 70 degrees F. When we walked into the house it was warm. Inspection of the thermostats showed they were on heat and set at 80 F.

Anyone else have a story?

Bob

Posts: 3652 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Are your thermostats WiFi enabled?

Posts: 1066 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Negative. The downstairs is old school mercury bulb and the upstairs is digital but not wi-fi enabled. Yet they were re-set identically.

quote:
Originally posted by nvmichael:
Are your thermostats WiFi enabled?

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Bobster, I don’t believe in that stuff. But you might have a problem, Ghosts???
I’d install new thermostats and see what happens.
Good luck!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I defiantly have paranormal activity at my home. I have a bottle of 14 year old Oban, a 12 year old Cardhu, and a 15 year old Macallan that mysteriously evaporate at night. Ghosts are defiantly to blame. Defiantly.

I have set up game cameras to catch them but so far no luck. Frowner

I have no choice but to keep replacing them.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell, I don't believe in it either but damn! How in the world can you explain it? HVAC guy inspected the thermostats and said they worked fine. I've owned six houses and never had this shit happen. Or anything like it.

quote:
Bobster, I don’t believe in that stuff. But you might have a problem, Ghosts???
I’d install new thermostats and see what happens.
Good luck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
I defiantly have paranormal activity at my home. I have a bottle of 14 year old Oban, a 12 year old Cardhu, and a 15 year old Macallan that mysteriously evaporate at night. Ghosts are defiantly to blame. Defiantly.

I have set up game cameras to catch them but so far no luck. Frowner

I have no choice but to keep replacing them.
lol

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Just out of town (actually town is moving out to it) there is this old Victorian 2 story house that just plain looks like a haunted house. A few years ago the folks were having a garage sale + we stopped + in the process asked if they had any ghost business there. They said Oh, yes. There is a ghost that lives in one room of the house, nowhere else. He is well behaved as long as you don't try to change ANYTHING in that room, then he gets mad, knocking over paint cans, missing tools, etc.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
replace your thermostats with smart thermostats.
Nest or Ecobee
They turn down when you're away from home. Eco mode.
Also programable.
when you're away from home you'll be able to check them with your phone.

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
quote:

Spirits liking spirits

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
My ghost stories.

In Germany we lived about 50 yards from a graveyard that was about 300 years plus old. Germans recycle graves and there are literally thousands of people in there. Scared the shit out of me when I moved in, but the wife liked the house and it was new so I made it work. Never saw anything, but every couple weeks while at night something would shake me to wake me up. And I always felt like something was watching me.

In Maine I lived in a house that was built in the 1700's it was one of the first homes built in the town I lived in (common for houses in Maine to be that old). I was the only one in the house, and I could hear children playing and running up and down the stairs. I yelled out for them to stop and told them they were bothering me and they stopped. Never had an issue again.

Again in Germany I was sitting in a box blind on a clearing fairly late at night waiting for wildboars to come out and felt like I was in the middle of a battle. I researched the area and found that it was the site of several historical battles.

I deployed to Greece for 3 months about 15 years ago. We lived on NSA Souda Bay which is near Chania on Crete. My barracks room had been the site of a suicide. That kid was a pain in the ass. He would open Cokes pull them out of the fridge and leave them open. I would unplug the TV at night and he would plug it back in and turn it on. He was a pain in the ass. Worst ghost ever.

Give me a new house far away from a graveyard from now on.

Our current house was built in the 1960s, never really bothered me.

When I used to travel around the country I used to see people walking on the side of the road at night, and as I would slow down to make sure I didn't hit them they would vanish.

I don't know how many different houses I have lived in, as I have moved about 30 times between growing up and my military and professional career. Sometimes you get a house with something a bit extra.

Friends have said that their best experience is to talk to the ghost and ask them not to do crazy stuff. This has worked for me.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh one more thought.

A friend in Germany lived in a house that her kids had seen an American Soldier in full battle rattle sitting at their kitchen table at night.

He would steal things like pocket knives and tools, and then they would ask him to return them and a few days later they would be laying in the foyer.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Spirits liking spirits

I'm still battling the bastards too. Frowner

I'm thinking about switching everything out to Johnny Walker Red, that will exercise the hell out of them for sure.

Bastards...

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobster, any chance that a power failure occured while you were gone, and that 80 degree and Heat is the default option? Failing that, I would contact Inside Edition and get that blonde chick to come out.
Smart thermostats are NOT the answer. You will just piss 'em off and they will burn the house down!
You might try praying the rosary or, just as good, schedule an exorcism with the local RC diocese.
Goood luck! You're gonna need it!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are probably evil ones, but most are just a pain in the ass.

Ask her to stop and she might.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Opus,

If you still have Cardhu, nurse it. It was sold to Johnny Walker to become part of their blend. Can't get it any more.

As far as ghosts, they are only real if you believe in them. Like in Africa, they believe in witchcraft and so it exists.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had not heard that. I purchase a case of 12 and a case of 15 several years ago. I was first introduced to it in the 80's and it became my go to single malt then. Had not had it since then and found it on sale at Total Wine here in Atlanta so it went into the scotch closet.

It's not my favorite but it's approachable as they say. My daily driver is The 12 year Macallan but have lately been dating an Oban Distillers Edition on the side. Let's just keep that to ourselves.

In regards to ghosts and witchcraft, as you know, it's a real thing in Africa. I have an acquaintance in Namibia who is a well recognized witch doctor. He has a pet hyena he travels with. I've used him a few times to encourage squatters and illegal grazers to move on. He shows up in camp in the middle of night to make an impression. It's money well spent.

_______

A little sidebar - My head Game Ranger is 70ish years old (he's not really sure). He is a tough as nails Herero who is quite religions and believes in Njambi which is their version of The Supreme Being. As a community elder, he performs the "Holy Fire" rituals that which allows him to communicate with the dead and perform ceremonies that cast out evil spirits - according to local tradition. But he frightens the crap out of our staff and many refuse to share a camp with him for fear that their ancestors will rat them out.

He's quite useful to have present during our annual staff reviews and to settle disputes. He gets to the truth very quickly.

If you believe, then it's real.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My home gets very spooky when my mother in law is there! Does that count?

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those are witches and not spirits... well, you can turn a witch into a spirit, but your wife might object... or not.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:

DAMN, THAT'S FUNNY!! rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:

You are in a whole lot of trouble.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, that's what I thought but there were no resets on smart devices in the house. The downstairs has a 1960's mercury bulb thermostat. That doesn't move unless something moves it!

quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Bobster, any chance that a power failure occured while you were gone, and that 80 degree and Heat is the default option? Failing that, I would contact Inside Edition and get that blonde chick to come out.
Smart thermostats are NOT the answer. You will just piss 'em off and they will burn the house down!
You might try praying the rosary or, just as good, schedule an exorcism with the local RC diocese.
Goood luck! You're gonna need it!
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
We have a party of demons , witches and warlocks running our country at present . Does that count?

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4454 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Those are witches and not spirits... well, you can turn a witch into a spirit, but your wife might object... or not.

If my backhoe wasn't down for repair and I could dispose of the body maybe......I need to stock gators in the pond!

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm fortunate. My MIL was never a witch. We butted heads for a year or so, but we were so much alike we got along famously. If she showed up again, however, we'd be talking about a ghost.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got along famously with my MIL, she loved me; it was her daughter she couldn't stand.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
quote:
she loved me; it was her daughter she couldn't stand.

rotflmo
Sounds like a quote from a good book

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been married twice, had two amazing mother in laws.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"Had" two amazing M-I-Laws?
And you wonder why you have ghosts following you around! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My mother in law is semi cool.......the kickstand on her broom is chrome plated.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by theback40:
"Had" two amazing M-I-Laws?
And you wonder why you have ghosts following you around! Big Grin

My X-wife was really rough. I don't have much to say about her that is good.

My wife is awesome.

Both of them have really good mother in laws. My mom is the mother in law from hell.

My wife said that there is something to do with mother's of sons.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chrome-plated broom kickstand. I like that. Just like the guy here said the other day about Nancy Pelosi, "Hell, just throw water on her. I've seen the Wizard of Oz."