Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Custom cowboy boot maker in DFW area Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Hey gang, I am going to be in dallas fort worth area in a few weeks and am considering getting fitted for a pair of custom western boots. I was womdering if you all had recommendations. I spoke with guys from ML Leddy, they are 16-18 months out on builds. Mso they are out. I have luchesse, I find them ok, but not great as far as fit. I have a super high arch and wide ball.
So any info on somebody a few hours drive of Dallas/ft Worth I should speak to would be appreciated. I like thr folks from J.B. Hill, but looks like a 9 hour ish drive.

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No recs but here are two lists that probably cover any you might be interested in....

here and here.

Note that these lists are dated, call and check first.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wish I could help--the only independent I knew passed a couple of years ago so I am back to Leddy's

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few years ago I had James Leddy in Abilene make me a pair of boots from a cape buffalo backskin.

http://jamesleddyabilene.com/

You might check with him. I think that would be about a six hour round trip.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's hard to imagine something more comfortable than bedroom slippers or Luchesse goat skin boots.
I'm finding people who can make equally comfortable boots with my leather.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blucher Boots in Beggs, OK.Not a long drive but that was 30y ago.Was Griffiths/Blucher then,when Jay Griffiths was there.Call Smitty-918.267.5393.Super stuff ~$4-500 then,had 3pr.Son stole 1.Drive up,get fitted &select leather.

Posts: 877 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep them in mind for gifts for the kids.

However, it is about 3 1/2 hours drive one way from Dallas, so it is not real convenient AFA driving is concerned.

Looking at their web site, the base price is now apparently $550, which ain't bad these days.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Smitty told me start@$900 UP!

one of us
posted Hide Post
From Blucher's web site:

quote:
Style No. 85 Red

Feather Lite Ladies Boot, made for style and comfort. This boot is made iwth red Alligator Vamps and matching kid skin tops, 14 inches tall, narrow round toe, 1 5/8" walking heel, 2 1/2" scallops, 2 rows of stitching and leather pulls.

This boot is priced at $1950.00 as shown.

This style, as with all Blucher Boot styles, can be made with any leather, in any color, starting at our base price of $550.00

All I'm doing is reading their web site, perhaps it is out of date?

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Didnt know he even had a website;just called him.Paid $4-500/pr 30y ago for no exotic skins.Todays price seems a steal.

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
I've had a couple pairs made by Luskey Ryon's. They're in the stockyards. I've been pleased with their work. You can also kill time or eat in the area.

http://www.luskeys.com

My last pair was made in Dallas at Roma's. I have really been pleased with his work. He does not have a website.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might PM DrScott on here, he had a really nice pair made from cape buffalo hide he shot in Zim a couple of years ago, the boot makers name escapes me but he is close to DFW.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2723 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your responses. I have spoken with james leddy boots. Apparently no longer owned by the Leddy family,but very nice and knowledgable guy on phone. Richard Cook out of Sequin also worth a second look. Like I said before, jb Hill was a good conversation, but el paso looks to be a 9 hour drive
So thinking of making a trip from dfw to abilene, san anglo, which I really like, down to austin and back up

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote