New
Find
Notify
Tools

Christmas Trees and Angels? Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
Two of my kids asked to put a Angel on the Christmas tree this year.

As an Orthodox Catholic am stuck on Exodus "a likeness of anything that is in heaven above".

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness [of any thing] that [is] in heaven above, or that [is] in the earth beneath, or that [is] in the water under the earth: 5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation] of them that hate me; 6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

What do you guys think?

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let's not go down the same road as the Muslim extremists who say any image of The Prophet is somehow sacrilege and justifies the murder of people. I'm a Catholic, not a very good one by my own estimation, but I don't see any harm in an angel on the tip of a Christmas tree or how that is a "graven image" on a tree erected to honor and recognize the birth of Jesus, who is our savior according to our faith. Islam recognizes Jesus as a prophet. I think Jesus would say lighten up and put the angel on the tree. But then again, I haven't actually had a conversation with him on the topic, yet.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Lavaca, my thoughts exactly. I personally tend to follow the new testament doctrine more than old because I don't envision a wrathful God in my life; one that is more understanding (to a point) + would like to believe that J.C. had a sense of humor as well. And that is not blasphemous in any manner shape or form. I believe that if the one main rule is followed (do unto others as you would have them do unto you) that pretty well covers it. Sorry for the diatribe but in closing. let the kids decorate the tree. Everyone will be better off for it.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I 3rd that motion. Lavaca's point is well taken and Norman correctly seconded it. My wife is a devout Catholic (I'm a backsliding Methodist). A religion that is so rigid that it doesn't accept symbols or images starts you down a slippery slope. Who then determines what is and what is not acceptable.......normally, that would be a cult leader.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are Romans and Orthodox Catholics that have iconography of Saints, Christ and Mary in their houses. I have never done that, I was told by a priest long ago, that they were for teaching and not something that should just be displayed as art.

I guess I am still trying to work it out. We have a star, I think we are going to sit with that.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I read the Bible often, and although have an unorthodox view of religion, and will no doubt put an angel on the tree this year, I am gladdened to know there are people like yourself who really try to understand and live what they believe in their religion. I think your star sounds like the right idea.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Here is my two centavos worth: What's the difference as to whether it is a star or an angel? One is representative of the new star that appeared at Christ's birth. The other is representative of the angels announcing the birth of Christ to the Shepherds in Bethlehem. Neither is an idol. Neither is a graven image. If you want to understand idols or graven images and their worship look to the Egyptians and what they worshipped (over 17 different idols from the sun to a beetle), the Caananites (and their groves and idols of stone and wood) and even apostate members of the House of Israel that turned to the very same idol worship. Do you worship the star or the angel as a Deity? Do you leave offerings or make sacrifices to either? Do you pray to either? I would bet that each of your answers are resounding NOs to each of those questions. Moreover, as I understand it, you are merely remembering the history regarding birth of Christ with those symbols or representations (not idols) that identify with it, and that you indeed worship Jesus Christ, born as the Savior of the World and as the Son of God.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can I get an Amen?

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We all fall short of the glory of God.

My kids are amazing, because public school in New Mexico is now a dumpster fire of burning toilets. The teachers refuse to enter a classroom (at least in Las Cruces) and are teaching for about 30-50 minutes per day via zoom meetings.

We have paid for Bob Jones University, which after a fairly exhaustive search we have found to be the best Christian based home school education that you can buy. It is not cheap (about $1500 per student per year), but it is amazing. Imagine charming female versions of Captain Kangaroo and Mr. Rogers teaching very biblically based homeschool. It is on demand, or you can rent the DVDS. We do on-demand.

Anyway my children are well versed and ask hard hitting questions we don't always have the answer for.

one of us
posted Hide Post
BWW the iconoclasts died out a long time ago. Your Roman Catholic priest is ignorant. Do you have any photographs in your house? Been to church recently? Seen any statues? Statues or pictures are not worshipped or venerated. The person, of which the statue is a reminder, may well be venerated, which means to hold in high esteem, to be worthy of emulation.
The Christian thinking, if you want to educate yourself is that the Incarnation changed all that.
Our grandson was (finally) pulled out of Hope Christian Academy. They "teach the Bob Jones curriculum". They have "face to face" instruction, no masks required, no social distancing. "Chapel" once a week, in a classroom, with 40 kids sitting on the floor!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good grief. It isn't even Thanksgiving yet, and there has been Chinese-made Christmas stuff in the stores since before Halloween. Have we no sense?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, TomP, one store was even playing Christmas music, albeit softly! Remember, it IS about the money!
Having said that, Christmas is a rather special time when people feel good! Nothing wrong with that!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10505 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, there is certainly nothing wrong with that.