New
Find
Notify
Tools

How would you fix gun control? Login/Join 
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted
I am interested to hear what other AR members believe is the correct path for gun control. Few people would outlaw all guns, and few would say that we should have zero restrictions, but most people fall somewhere in between.

So my question: How would you change gun control? Would you remove most restrictions, make sure that the existing laws are universally enforced, toss everything and start from scratch, or something else entirely?

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to see advocates place some hard limits on how far they would go before going no further with restrictions.
Restrictions on possession and use, without a strategy for those who would misuse their weapons, is a dead end.

Is there a possible set of strategies for reducing stress, anger and mental illness?
What's wrong with working on the causes of violent behavior?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14362 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well for a starter lets enforce those already on the books not pass new ones that don't work. With the technology today that could be instantaneous recognition. Also as the NRA backed law in Va. when any crime is committed + a firearm is present then an addition 10 years W/O parole is tacked on. The REAL threat of a major prison sentence seems to be a good detractor. As much as I hate to say it, there are a lot of folks out there that have no business having a gun. I wish we could open it up but there are too many crazies out there so that will never happen, but I recall how Belize has no drug problems because you can get anything you want at any pharmacy + if you are stupid enough to abuse it + kill yourself, no problem, they will just dump you at sea.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Suggestions:

There should be a defined list of honest-to-goodness felonies to get on the NICS list. We have redefined too many not-serious crimes as felonies and watered-down the term. Its import is not what it was fifty years ago.

Mental health care is a necessary part of the issue. There is no clear path to identifying every nut case who will shoot fellow citizens.Too bad it's a hard problem to solve in a legitimate way.

Gathering up the guns without doing something about those who would misuse them just says we have to live with our abusers with no recourse.

There should be a way to get back off the NICS list, other than petitioning your governor.

Complaints:

I already live with most of the restrictions that Biden proposes, as a matter of state law. So far a passing NICS score is all that's needed, although our legislators are always thinking up new ways to add arbitrary snags.

They do cause problems with buying benchrest-grade Lapua or Eley rimfire ammunition that no one will stock in a store, and must be gotten from an FFL face-to-face.

I have never found lead fragments in the sort of small game we shoot with 22 Long Rifle ammunition but we are still required to use lead-free 22 RF ammunition for hunting here. Centerfire rifles have workable alternatives, rimfires do not. This is an unreasonable requirement written into law by people with an agenda.

Gathering up all the guns can reduce firearms crime but change the instruments used, as we see in the United Kingdom and Japan with "knife control". Even there, it is only partially effective and only on reasonably honest citizens. It does not seem to hinder either the IRA or yakuza.

New Jersey and Massachusetts should be demoted to territories for their laws on firearms in transit to hunt in Maine.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14362 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The countries that seem to do the best are those that have compulsory military service. They are able to identify the nuts. Unfortunately, we simply don't need that number of soldiers.

It's not the firearms, it's the nuts.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
EXACTLY!

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Guns are not the problem.

You need criminal control!

If you applied the same rules to all other instruments used in crimes, our lives will be pretty miserable.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66908 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
The perplexing problem remains finding the answer to "Why?"
Some who murder are very obviously horribly mentally ill; think of the Virginia Tech and Sandy Hook killers-- known to their psychiatrists as dangerous.
Then there is poor, tormented Charlie Whitman, who seems to be one bookend of the modern era of mass murder. I had forgotten much of his tragic journey.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman

Some of the killers are emotionally immature to say the least, often with anger-management issues. Thinking of the "digruntled former employee" category. I have lost track of these.
I confess I am not an absolutist on the Second Amendment, believing we really do need to have background checks and much better reporting of mental health warning signs. The military isn't holding up its end, either. The Texas church shooter beat his wife while here at Holloman Air Force Base and the Air Force failed to share this with the network where NICS could flag it.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16352 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I want to see stringent enforcement of our existing law!

I want sentences to be served. And I want prisons to go back to like they where in the 50s, hard work no AC no basketball courts and weight rooms!

I would have no problem with an additional 10years for a violent crime committed with a firearm.

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jtex,

I'd say, possession of a firearm during commission of a felony (regardless of use) doubles the sentence, whatever is rendered by the court and use of a firearm in the commission of a felony gives the possibility of a life sentence.

Now if that got enacted, us concealed carry folks better never drive drunk, but that's good thing anyway.

Posts: 9994 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cut the amount of restrictions by 90%.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lavaca, not just drunk but have been drinking at all; new rules, the point system doesn't matter; any drink counts as does any prescription drugs in your vehicle, even if you are leaving the pharmacy. Sounds stupid, right? My wife was pulled over 4 years ago + sentenced (she doesn't drink) no matter, she was convicted + as I took her to all the BS classes I got to know a bit more about the current "law". Its a travesty.