New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Tried, I Really Did, but YMMV Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted
I try whenever possible to support the small businesses in our area just as President Obama encourages us to do. Here is an example that makes me wonder if that is such a good idea or not. There is a Mom and Pop restaurant less than a mile from where I live. I have been there three times now, and I will never go back. We walked in for breakfast the other day and could not find a clean table; had to wait until someone cleaned one off. Then, we waited and waited for someone to finally wait on our table. She took our order. We waited and waited again. Finally, our breakfast arrived. I know there is wait time at such a place as this is not fast food, but We had been there a total of 50 minutes before we were finally served and they were not very busy. My order was simple; i.e., pancakes, over easy eggs and turkey bacon. The pancakes were not even warm, the butter would not melt on them, and the eggs were hard and cold. This was the 3rd time I have gone there and the service was the same each time and the food was not good. I really tried to support them and I will not go back.

To contrast this episode, there is a chain restaurant about 12 miles from my home that has great service. They are constantly checking on you and refilling your coffee cup, etc. And the food there is always great. Always cooked exactly as you want it within a reasonable amount of time. I have experienced this same treatment with privately owned tire stores and auto repair shops. I can't begin to tell you the horror stories I have had in small local gun shops. Most of these guys act as though you are a burden to them and waiting on you is a pain in the butt. Anyway, I have tried to support the small businesses yet they act like they don't want my support. So I will avoid them and go to the chains whenever possible. The small business owner better wise up and treat the customer with respect and provide a good product and service, yet these are the same guys who whine and complain when business is bad.
Joe

Posts: 236 | Location: Florida | Registered: 08 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The opposite experience here.

Maybe it's Karma joe.

Think about it.

May be just the "vibes" you put off.

just sayin',

JAPPF,

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorta the same way about union made products. I try to like them, but when you can buy foreign made at half the price and twice the quality, its impossible to bring yourself to buy union anymore.

coffee

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Geedubya, Joe, I have experienced the stuff described by Joe, in both chain stores and Mom & Pop's.

I have also experienced similar experiences between various stores operated by the same corporation.

In my opinion, and that is all it is, it has more to do with the attitudes of the employees of that "Particular" business.

Cabela's in Sydney Nebraska, every time I have been in there, those folks were so helpful it bordered on annoying.

Cabela's in Fort Worth, employees range from helpful to rude depending on the department they worked in. I still go there, but I find the folks working in the gun department being the ones bordering on the rude side consistently.

I also remember stopping in a gun shop down in Granbury Texas, and the owner would not let any customer touch a gun that was for sale, unless they were going to buy it. One time in there broke me from the habit.

I don't judge a place based on one or two employees performance or lack there of, but as far as eating establishments are concerned, Lora and I both only put up with bad service just so long, and then we get the manager/owner involved.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Opus1...unions, for the most part have greatly outlived their usefulness. It is not so much the pay/benefits those working individuals get, although it is a part of it overall...it is the total cost to the companies under a union shop as an operating expense. The costs of petty grievances, negotiations and arbitrations to "save" lousy/lazy problematic union workers can be overwhelming to a business. If you go to work, do a good job and are a good employee you really have no need for union representation. Unions ruin good employees and good companies, plain and simple.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The issue I have with chain businesses are that many are foreign owned and your money leaves the country and I don't believe that long term...that is good for the USA. A better alternative is to address the poor service where it resides as that is the only way it could ever improve. Sometimes a business or service degrades over time and those individuals or owners may not even realize it until someone let's them know about it. If it does not improve, then it is time to find another service provider.

Posts: 4115 | Location: Pa. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The issue I have with chain businesses are that many are foreign owned and your money leaves the country and I don't believe that long term...that is good for the USA.

Name the major chains that you know of that are foreign owned. Offhand I can't think of any.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Exactly why should I approach a mom&pop place and give them a critique on their lousy service or crumby attitude? If they don't already know it, they shouldn't be in business.
And it's not like there isn't another place acrost the street and two more down the block.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Opus 1; Very good. I don't think anyone else got it. Smiler

Posts: 217 | Location: SW of Dodge City | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I work for a gunsmith. When I answer the phone I sound pleasant and upbeat. It throws people off.

Mark

Posts: 1225 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Costco - show me another retailer/corporation that cares as much for its customers/members (hint its amazon).

Costco may be the best public welfare entity - sadly it only applies to well to do people.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Originally posted by jfromswk:

Opus 1; Very good. I don't think anyone else got it. Smiler

I tried, I really did...

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
I'm sorta the same way about union made products. I try to like them, but when you can buy foreign made at half the price and twice the quality, its impossible to bring yourself to buy union anymore.

coffee

So you had rather buy outsourced foreign made junk than to buy quality American union made products? You are not much of a patriotic American. In fact, you are anti-American. You had rather put an American out of work rather than pay a little more for quality. Shame, shame, you are just not my kind of guy. And I don't think you have tried at all. You just want to start a conflict. You are actually part of the problem.
Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sadly just the opposite. Union Made used to mean something back in the 70's and 80's. Unfortunately today Union Made just means expensive junk. Just look at the crap that GM is turning out these days. They've recalled more vehicles than they built since we the taxpayers bailed out the union. When it comes to construction, I avoid union journeymen simply because they are unreliable, lazy and much more expensive. So when I have a choice, the choice is clear.

If the American union member ever wanted to be credible once again, they would stop being political thugs, stop pouring union dues in their PAC funds, and actually get back to their roots - building quality products better than anyone else.

Today when someone proudly tells me they're a union member, I just laugh. They may as well tell me they're chief clown at Barnum & Bailey Circus.

tu2

One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sadly just the opposite. Union Made used to mean something back in the 70's and 80's. Unfortunately today Union Made just means expensive junk. Just look at the crap that GM is turning out these days. They've recalled more vehicles than they built since we the taxpayers bailed out the union. When it comes to construction, I avoid union journeymen simply because they are unreliable, lazy and much more expensive. So when I have a choice, the choice is clear.

If the American union member ever wanted to be credible once again, they would stop being political thugs, stop pouring union dues in their PAC funds, and actually get back to their roots - building quality products better than anyone else.

Today when someone proudly tells me they're a union member, I just laugh. They may as well tell me they're chief clown at Barnum & Bailey Circus.

tu2

Spoken like a typical scab who doesn't have a clue about what the truth really is. Without unions, even today, you would be digging a ditch for about 14 hours a day, with no breaks and low pay. For everything you have now, including your comfortable way of life, you can thank the unions.
Joe

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe R. Lock:
quote:

tu2

Spoken like a typical scab who doesn't have a clue about what the truth really is. Without unions, even today, you would be digging a ditch for about 14 hours a day, with no breaks and low pay. For everything you have now, including your comfortable way of life, you can thank the unions.
Joe

ROFLMAO!!!! What a joke. when union "workers" sit around the break room, they brag about how little they do and how many ways they screw the company.
I would love to buy made in the USA goods. but I'm not gonna pay twice the money for half the quality. I'm not gonna subsidize some pilled-up, smoked-up, hung-over turd that comes to work with an attitude of "what's the least I can do and stay on the payroll, simply because he pays some criminal to keep his job for him.
Other than that, I haven't any real strong feelings about it.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Riiiight. Now we have 8 guys standing around the ditch making $35 an hour while one guy digs for 5 minutes, then takes a mandatory 20 minute rest break, followed by 10 minutes of paperwork, 5 minutes of political indoctrination, 15 minutes of picketing, and then another 5 minutes of digging.

14 days later, the ditch is dug for a total project cost of $28,000.

Yes, we can certainly thank unions for our massive efficiency in this country. Just ask Hostess...

tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some years back a friend of mine went to work on a union job painting new apartments in a complex that was being built in Dallas. At this remove, I don't remember all the exact details, but the first day he painted 3, and the next day 3 more. At lunch the third day, the other guys made it clear to him that he had to slow down if he wanted to stay on the job. One or so apartments a day was plenty for them. So much for union productivity.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
You had rather put an American out of work rather than pay a little more for quality. Shame, shame, you are just not my kind of guy. And I don't think you have tried at all. You just want to start a conflict. You are actually part of the problem.

Pot calls kettle black....fracas ensues.

Unions may have had a real role, but their benefit, both to their own members, and our society in general, is long gone.
Today's unions are simply corrupt political thugs with a knack for extortion. They do very well at driving jobs overseas.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Young fellow I knew went to Chicago and got a union job. first day on the job, the super gave him a work assignment. When he came back a couple of hours later and asked "what's next". he was told that was an 8 hr job. So he went over and tried to help some of the other guys.
Long story short, within a couple of days the shop steward told him he had to slow down. He was "hot dogging" and making the other folks look bad. My friend told him that he wasn't trying to make anyone look bad, he just couldn't work any slower.
And so the union's solution was to take him in the parking lot and beat the snot out of him. Not mano mano, two held him and two more punched him silly.

Aim for the exit hole

One of Us
Picture of Joe R. Lock
posted Hide Post
quote:

tu2

Look at this link!
Joe

http://www.businessinsider.com...s-are-illegal-2011-2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pull my finger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Pull my finger.

Damn it man you did it again! I just wasn't ready for that!!!!!!

jumping

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dulltool17:
quote:
You had rather put an American out of work rather than pay a little more for quality. Shame, shame, you are just not my kind of guy. And I don't think you have tried at all. You just want to start a conflict. You are actually part of the problem.

Pot calls kettle black....fracas ensues.

Unions may have had a real role, but their benefit, both to their own members, and our society in general, is long gone.
Today's unions are simply corrupt political thugs with a knack for extortion. They do very well at driving jobs overseas.

I've worked for a union the last 13 1/2 years...and am leaving for a non-unionized job next month (THANK GOD!!!!)

I'm done with too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

I work, on any given day, up to 4 positions that any 'normal' staff have trouble covering their one position during the day. For the same pay...this extra work is expected of me, but the poor souls who can't keep up are not held accountable for their lack (nonexistent in most cases) of work ethic.

Last summer, 2 positions were posted for an extra $1.50/hr, anyone was able to apply, but instead of applying...the useless pieces of S%*@ complained to our union that they wouldn't get the job...so what do you supposed the union did?? They cancelled the positions (after already approving them), because it wasn't 'FAIR' for everyone!!!

You know what union...LIFE AINT FAIR!!!

I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOO done with effing unions its not even funny!!!!!!!!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cannot imagine anything worse than being productive, self reliant, capable, effective, and mature while being forced to belong to a union. Work is bad enough, but to work while pretending to be a special needs child on Jerry Lewis' chain gang has got to suck.

CoyoteKiller, I wish you great success and I am sure you will achieve it without the morons around your neck.

tu2

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
I cannot imagine anything worse than being productive, self reliant, capable, effective, and mature while being forced to belong to a union. Work is bad enough, but to work while pretending to be a special needs child on Jerry Lewis' chain gang has got to suck.

CoyoteKiller, I wish you great success and I am sure you will achieve it without the morons around your neck.

tu2

+1- go CK!

Opus- just like being a taxpayer watching the rest of society mooching. Singularly unrewarding!

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dulltool17:
quote:

tu2

+1- go CK!

Opus- just like being a taxpayer watching the rest of society mooching. Singularly unrewarding!

Thanks guys! It's a bit unnerving leaving a job with the amount of benefits and the pension that both I and my employer pay into.

But I've come to the conclusion that my quality of life @ my current job is less than what I expected 13 years ago when I first started.

Daily, I'm in a bad mood and it's not fair to my family and friends that have to put up with it when I'm not a work.

I try not to let it get to me, but I care about my job and most importantly the patients (I work in healthcare) I serve on a daily basis. To stoop to the level of most of my coworkers and only do the bare minimum to get paid is out of the question.

Society as we know it is in trouble if things don't change & change for the better. Both down in the US and up here in Canada!!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote