New
Find
Notify
Tools

your opinion please Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Bill G. in Oregon
posted
say a popular on line gun seller with long experience describes an old winchester as "90% receiver blue and 98% barrel blue."

Is it unreasonable for the buyer -not being an expert himself - to ask that the seller put it in writing that the blue is original?

why/why not?

Posts: 1783 | Registered: 21 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well bill sorry to say that in these times one needs to get the truth in writing,but that is the sign of the times. I wish to stay true to my principles + work on a handshake but I have been getting fxked now for several years to the tune of many thousands in my business (Sheet metal/A.C.)By trusting they take you for a fool.What is wrong here? These people are destroying business as we know it.Let me tell you a little story.
when
I was stationed at Ft. Hood in 1970,I met a man named
stanlie Weisse (obviously a jew)had a clothing store.One of the finest men I have ever known. he knew business + other wordly ex. but the point that I really remembered was his statement on business.Quote= The defenision of good business is if everyone is happy/the definationn of bad business is if somebody felt screwed.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Bill,got interupted but I think you saw the point.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Getting it in writing is of small value if you are dealing with a swindler. The legal fees will be more than you can recover. Our legal system is for the big guys and the crooks.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I received a judgement on a debtor of $ 38,000 in 1980 and have yet to receive a penny from him. My lawyer costs were $ 3800. Sometimes you have to just walk away.

Posts: 1066 | Location: Mentone, Alabama | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For $38,000, an ambulance chaser can keep the case in the air until your heirs grow tire and quit.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe it was 1658 that Bill S.said in his play,"The first thing we do is kill all the lawyers." Sound theory that. I can't collect what is due me because the present legal system protects (SOME) criminals. I have so many thousands owed to me that I have lost count;ALMOST hate to say this but 150 years ago if some sob did this to you,you could shoot him + it would be called justified.Still is in my book.When crime goes unpunished it leads to more crime. Honestly,can we have another opinion-pro or con?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not in the business but buy and sell from time to time. I will not buy anything unless I can examine it in person OR the seller will take it back if I am not satisfied when I receive it. I will not sell anything without offering the buyer the right to return it without giving a reason. I bear the cost of return shipping when I buy and require my buyer to do the same when I sell. Rarely do people turn rogue after conducting business fairly. So if he has a history on the site check it out. I find I can get a pretty good "read" of a person's honesty talking to him. If I can't talk to him I walk away. I've only been burned once on a $100 item and that was early on before I set my buy and sell rules. As to lawyers just as any service industry there are bad and good. The best way to select a lawyer is referral by a lawyer you trust; or from a satisfied client.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BTW, Lavaca my comment in the last post was NOT directed at you or anyone else who honorably works the legal profession.I have found you to be an honest + consciensuse man. Unfortunately every one seems to have the tendency to paint with a wide brush;I am guilty as well. I, like most everyone feel angered by true injustice while recourse seems impossible unless you throw good money after bad to the "ambulance chasers". No wonder people have such a low opinion of lawyers + the legal system as well.

One of Us
Picture of Bill G. in Oregon
posted Hide Post
Thankyou all for sharing.

The context is my buying a '95 Winchester takedown in 06 made in 1923 from Collector's Firearms in Texas. The ad asserted 90% blue, BUT it did not say "original blue."

I was told on the phone by two different salesmen that the blue was original. The owner, himself, was consulted the 2nd time.

Still, as value depends on originality,I hoped to get something in writing too.

My first request for a written confirmation was refused . "We are not a fly by night operation out to cheat you." (Hence my question here).

But two days ago, CF kindly put it in writing for me: "90% original blue guaranteed." So, that satisfies me.

Posts: 1783 | Registered: 21 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:

quote:
BTW, Lavaca my comment in the last post was NOT directed at you or anyone else who honorably works the legal profession.I have found you to be an honest + consciensuse man. Unfortunately every one seems to have the tendency to paint with a wide brush;I am guilty as well. I, like most everyone feel angered by true injustice while recourse seems impossible unless you throw good money after bad to the "ambulance chasers". No wonder people have such a low opinion of lawyers + the legal system as well.

Thank you for that. Frankly, I agree with much of what you say. I'm glad I'm at the end of my career and not the beginning. It has changed so much.

However, when deciding whether to sue someone on a debt, it is prudent to do an asset check and to determine if insurance coverage might be available before pursuing them. Otherwise, you could end up with what I've referred to as a "Judgment suitable for framing" in other words, otherwise worthless.

Posts: 9954 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote