THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Your Most Iconic Restaurant In Your State?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Your Most Iconic Restaurant In Your State? Login/Join 
one of us
posted
They say here that in Texas it is Salt Lick.

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/...rants-in-every-state

For New Mexico they say it is El Pinto in Albuquerque, established in 1962. Whereas La Posta in Old Mesilla originated in 1939, was written-up in the Saturday Evening Post in about 1962, and serves better Mexican food than El Pinto could ever hope to put on a platter.

I guess it goes to show if you pay enough, you can get selected as damn near anything.

How does their selection match what you see in your own State?

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
The first one that popped into my head for New Mexico was La Posta. That could be due to the fact that it's just down the road from me in Mesilla. Maybe the overlooked it because the food is only so-so, even though the atmosphere makes up for it. Personally, I'd rather drive a few more miles and eat at Chope's in La Mesa. I've never eaten at El Pinto, so can't comment on how the quality of food compares to that of La Posta. High Finance at the top of the Sandias is a lot of fun too.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We'll have to try Chope's. My family can't get together on Mexican food in Cruces. I like Si Senor. My sister and brother-in-law prefer La Posta or Roberto's, and my brother liked My Brother's Place, although I think it's closed now. We had been talking about giving Chilito's a shot next time.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
Iconic?? NY

I guess since Carnegie Deli is closed. Katz is next. A Pastrami sandwich is now $22 in Katz to be honest add 2 more pieces of rye and make 2 out of it.

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Mark Katz shut his down a few years ago + moved back to N.Y. Salt Lic is good Q. but for an iconic restaurant in Austin it has to be Hill's Cafe on S. Congress.Best steak + baked potato in town. If you notice,the little old lady that greets you at the door still has a tattoo on her arm from the concentration camps.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe the one in Big Sur, right on Route 1...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14370 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eskimo Joes

Posts: 362 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 25 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
We'll have to try Chope's. My family can't get together on Mexican food in Cruces. I like Si Senor. My sister and brother-in-law prefer La Posta or Roberto's, and my brother liked My Brother's Place, although I think it's closed now. We had been talking about giving Chilito's a shot next time.

I've eaten at and like Chilito's since they opened way back when I was in college. The food is good, though not exceptional. The wife and I like their consistency and good service. When craving southern NM Mexican food, that's often where we end up. There's a little local chain called Los Compas that's pretty decent too. Real good homemade salsa - made fresh daily and served warm with fresh made tortilla chips.

And yes, My Brother's Place is closed now. Give Chope's a try. Start at the bar for a couple cold ones, then wander over the restaurant for dinner (or eat right at the bar). It's not quite the "dive" it was 20 years ago, but it's still a darn fine place to eat fresh homemade Mexican food.

There's another place in Mesilla called Andele's that is getting a very good reputation for quality dining as well. I haven't tried it, but it might be worth an experiment next time you're in the area.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what the most "iconic" restaurant in Texas is but IMO it damn sure ain't The Salt Lick.

I'll have to think on "iconic" for a while. I hate the common use of the word for everyday things. I think I'll go have some "iconic" vanilla ice cream and consider the concept, unless I get some "iconic" chocolate instead. Of course, Texas "iconic" ice cream is Blue Bell. Smiler

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats why I mentioned Hills Cafe. But another would be El Mats on South Lamar.It is iconic as it has been here since 1952 + still serves the best Tex-Mex food around.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
For Minnesota, I would say it's a tie between Matt's Bar (Minneapolis) and Newt's (Rochester). I think Newt's has the better juicy lucy but Matt's actually invented it.

For Wisconsin, the most iconic restaurant must serve up Wisconsin table fare: Wisconsin beer, brandy old fashions, cheese or deep fried cheese curds, bratwurst (Sheboygan style), and fish (perch, smelt, or whitefish). Pelletier's in Door County does a good fish boil, but I don't consider it 'iconic'. The Old Fashioned in Madison checks off most of that list, but it is fairly new and not on the East Coast. That leaves Milwaukee Brat House. They have fantastic curds, beer, and they serve up Ursingers sausage. What's not to love?

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1085 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
my entry has got to be the iowa machine shed again.......... i love the breakfast buffet there.......

demovrat or american who are you?

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
They list Canlis for my state. It is a very, very nice place to eat. It's perched on the side of a hill overlooking Seattle and it is a large, visible landmark to all who travel I-5 below it. But to me it's just a nice restaurant with fancy fare.

There are three restaurants I think of as iconic in Washington, well at least western Washington. They are not the three best restaurants but they are full of regional history and personify the spirit of the Pacific Northwest.

First is the Falls Terrace restaurant in Tumwater. It overlooks Tumwater Falls and the old Olympia Brewing Company. The view looks just like the picture on a bottle of Olympia Beer. A few times a year you can eat and watch the salmon leaping. The food is traditional northwest fare, including salmon and regional favorites.

Second would be the restaurant at the Snoqualmie Falls Lodge, now called the Salish Lodge.

The lodge and restaurant were also among the most used locations for the filming of the movie and TV series Twin Peaks. The restaurant at the lodge is wonderful but if you get bored you can run down to nearby North Bend for a slice of pie and a cup of coffee at Tweed's Cafe, better known as the RR Diner.

This video shows many views of both the Salish Lodge restaurant and Tweed's Cafe. Remember these?

The third iconic restaurant, in my opinion, is the Roosevelt Restaurant at Lake Quinault Lodge. Surrounded by Olympic National Park, it pulls us back into Washington's logging and pioneering days. The setting is like something from a picture postcard. It is surrounded by trails leading to some of the largest trees in the world. Before or after diner have drinks and play chess in the lobby or next to the lake. Then into the restaurant where food tops. You can even order big game dishes.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have'nt had a OLY in years. Would love to have another.Cant get em here.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Kensco,
What would you consider the most "iconic" restaurant of Dallas to be? Fort Worth? Metroplex?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36536 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Missouri its Zyphers(1946) and best biscuits and gravy this side of grandma's house

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yoder's in Sarasota, FL. Home of the 5 lb cinnamon roll.

Posts: 3672 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Y'all know what it is really is:

WHATABURGER

Best cure for a hangover or when your stomach feels queezy.....

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:
Y'all know what it is really is:

[b]WHATABURGER

Yep,,, first stop upon arriving back at DFW from Africa. Did it today...

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote