THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Stock Blank Response by Sharon Dressel
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock Blank Response by Sharon Dressel Login/Join 
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Appreciate your reply, Steve. The situation you describe is a little different than the minds eys perceived. FYI: My friend (Bob) had a nice piece of wood, I told my customer (Joe) about the wood and Joe bought the wood from Bob. By and by, I made it into a stock for Joe. Year later, rusty metal...yep, the wood was from Calico (salt cured) Joe is an attorney, convinced me that I was responsible for the situation: Bottom line!, I replaced the stock gratis. Next bottom line: I refuse to act as agent, sell or recommend ANY wood. Customer is on his own...I am off the hook! I like it that way, have been doing it that way for the last 20 years and see no reason to change. Reaistically, I don't blame you for backing off...but again, the situation you presented was a little different than most of us perceived. If you feel this was an ethics question, the logical course would be to present it to the Ethics committee of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for responding Duane.
That's part of being self employed, we get to make our own decisions for ourselves. I have no ethics consern. Sorry for the confusion, I really didn't mean to get this far into the subject.
Calico did put a world of hurt on the industry........

I went the other way and purchase a volume of green blanks from a trusted source and cured them here in the shop. It's my wood, good wood and I know exactly when it was cut and how its been handled.

You may know that a couple years ago the Guild set some standards for wood sold at the show. I'd have to look up the specifics, but I believe it was a move in the right direction.

By the way, Ron Toews contacted me recently about a book idea and I finally got a copy of his Contemporary Stockmakers book, a glaring absence from my library. I was very pleased to see the quality and sophistication of your work way back then (1979?).
SDH

ACGG Life Member, since 1985

Posts: 1784 | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hammering killpc

common cents? ant common these days

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bill Soverns: The price was severely discounted due to the obvious flaw. I was also assured that should the flaw not come out and render the blank unusable it would be replaced.
I'm not trying to stir the pot here, but as one who has not yet had any pro stockwork done, I am learning from this and curious. Would you have bought the blank with just the opinion that the flaw would work out and not the assurance that it could be replaced?

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote