THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    dammit!! casting days done for awhile

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

dammit!! casting days done for awhile Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
was seperating my dog (75 lbs) and a friends dog, a puppy but almost as big from fighting yesterday (after the fight they chased cows together) and when i stood up my left arm wouldnt work. ER said i have a torn left bicep muscle. they put a temp cast/sling on it till i see my ortho guy tues. said in any case i'm looking at months to heal. stopped at post office on way home and sure nough my new NOE 45 colt brass mold had come in. got a ton of lead and tin and some ww waiting to go. pile of lyman cast 45 colt keith done ready to be lubed and stuffed. my son bet his mom w/in a week i'd be in shop having figured out a way to cast/load. i dunno. once more time......DAMMIT!

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yikes.

Hang on, John. If it truly is a torn bicep, you've got a long, painful, way ahead.

I tore my left one years ago in the weight room. The muscle literally separated from the shoulder and rolled up like a hose at the elbow. It was a refreshing moment, indeed. About the most painful experience, before or since.

Best of luck with your recovery. !!!!

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Ouuuuuuchhh!

Hope you heal quickly.

~Ann

Posts: 19150 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Hope you heal up soon John; this getting old is not for the timid.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TWL:
Yikes.

Hang on, John. If it truly is a torn bicep, you've got a long, painful, way ahead.

I tore my left one years ago in the weight room. The muscle literally separated from the shoulder and rolled up like a hose at the elbow. It was a refreshing moment, indeed. About the most painful experience, before or since.

Best of luck with your recovery. !!!!

i did that sort of years ago too messing with the same dog!! just a diff thing. i wheeled around real fast to grab his leash and the tendons, all 3 seperated from my right shoulder. i waited 6 months b4 going to the dr. he had to stretch them all to attach them to a steel plate in my shoulder. said the ends looked like shredded wheat. was the worst rehab i've ever done. period! this time boo boo is just above and at the elbow on inner arm. bruising and the arm looks like its got a sunken pit on it. going to ortho guy tues and i'm sure a MRI will tell.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hoping the best for you.

I have known 3 people with that injury.

You could have a very long road ahead of you.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
The biceps can tear at the elbow or the shoulder. I tore mine at the elbow. If one decides not to have surgery, it is not the diminution in strength that is the issue, rather the lack of endurance. I chose surgery.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMC:
The biceps can tear at the elbow or the shoulder. I tore mine at the elbow. If one decides not to have surgery, it is not the diminution in strength that is the issue, rather the lack of endurance. I chose surgery.

how did rehab go? shoulder i mentioned b4 was pure hell. and it still pops etc occassionally, but no big deal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son had that same injury when he was in the sandbox in 02. Thankfully Uncle Sugar footed the bill. It was still recovery time though. He is fine today but he was adamant about keeping up the physical therapy after the fact + now has almost full use. Keeping up with the PT is very important even though it hurts.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
surgery on the 19th in austin. dammit AGAIN!

One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
Overall wasn't bad. Surgery, recovery and rehab were pretty much unremarkable. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, I know you don't like Austin but that is where the best surgeons are. You could choose San Antonio but really, you are only going there for a procedure, not asked to live there. Besides, you might see some "entertaining street people" on the way to the hospital. Roll Eyes Really though, take the surgery + get better!
P.S. don't mind if the nurses have green hair + facial piercings. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i fear the boring "downtime getting nothing done" much more than the cuttin and sewing. pain and such comes and or stays awhile, whatever. however, in anticipation of being stove up and not much of a t.v. watcher, i splurged and downloaded franklins computers video lessons on smoking meat. and...i did prep 50 44 spl cases yesterday one handed. ok, one armed. only hiccup i see so far is using left hand to hold em up to powder dump as i can use right side to work handle. but i'll get that figured out too. haven't figured out how to cast one sided yet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
About 30 years ago I came off a horse + broke my right wrist. I figured no problem as I am left-handed. WRONG!Try buttoning your shirt or zipping your fly with only your left hand. Other issues as well; we get used to using 2 hands.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
surgery has been cancelled and rescheduled 2x now. they called and set it for weds. maybe 3rd times the charm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck Amigo.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
gracias.