New
Find
Notify
Tools

11/22/63 Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
I know this will show up on the 23rd, but does everyone remember where they were when we heard the news that the president had been shot? I was in Bitburg Germany + it was late in the evening.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I was in college at the time and had walked into the cafeteria to get lunch. They were playing a local radio station on the pa when the news came in. Classes were canceled for the rest of the day. My dad and I were walking back to the car after a morning of duck hunting when we ran into another hunter, a photographer for the L.A Times, who asked if we had heard that Oswald had been shot. Stuck in the memory like where I was on 9/11.
C.G.B.

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
If you haven't, you should read Stephen Kings book 11.22.63.
One of my favorites. More about time travel then Kennedy.

Posts: 1066 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was walking across the gates of a drydock.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On the football field at Las Cruces High School. Everything stopped. We returned to class, and the rest of the day was cancelled.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I was probably graduating from crawling and taking my first steps!

Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Really interesting post.

I was not born yet but my dad was in his Junior High Gym class. His teacher told the class what had happened and one of the students made a smart ass comment. My dad said that the teacher about ripped that kids head off.

Posts: 2638 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7th grade at Deady Jr. High.
Went into my science class. We got the news.
IIRC it was around 1 PM, in Houston, Tx.

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nvmichael:
If you haven't, you should read Stephen Kings book 11.22.63.
One of my favorites. More about time travel then Kennedy.

That book was a bit disturbing.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
Sitting in Spanish class my junior year in high school.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1542 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I was a year old then.

~Ann

Posts: 19127 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Jtex, it was a bit creepy but then again it was written by Steven King. I enjoyed it but then I am a Jack Finney time travel fan anyway. Another alternate theory novel (not time travel) concerning the assassination is Stephen Hunter's book "The 3rd Bullet".

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was 3. I remember vaugely that I knew something wasn't right, but no details.

Posts: 9951 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Was sitting in 7th grade English Class in Jr. High. Teachers and girls started crying. Can't remember much more. We have a son born on 11/22, so the Kennedy assassination details have long faded from my memory, being replaced by much more pleasant ones.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was in a one room west central Ks country school, called Manteno, with 15 or so other kids (eight grades). I think I was in seventh grade. The phone rang, which was very rare. Teacher answered it and listened a while, then hung up and told us kids. The teacher, Mrs Hoard, was very upset. Soon parents showed up and took their kids home. I have vivid memories of that day, and the following few days when Oswald was shot.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The whole next few days was bizarre. We were glued to the TV set.

(A couple of days later, I ran into the kitchen around lunch time to tell my mother when Oswald got shot. We just sat there staring, wondering what was going to happen next.)

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
At school. 5th Grade Mrs. Larson's class. Catholic school. Had to knell on the tile floor next to our desks and pray.

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7573 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
It was 11 and half years before I was born.

But I remember:

Sadam Hussen capture. I was in Rota Spain at the Navy Exchange in the TV section and saw it on the news.

(9/11) I was on the USS Carl Vinson we had just pulled out of Singapore and were on our way to Australia. We turned around and stationed off the coast of Pakistan.

Challenger Flight STS-51-L I was in 4th or 5th grade in Elementary School in Casper, Wyoming. We had a moment of silence and then went on our way.

Columbia Flight STS-107 I was in Tulare California picking up my daughter to take her to Disneyland.

I don't remember where I was for Reagan's attempted execution.

I was at the US Embassy in Australia when Bin Ladin was KIA by the SEALS.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote