Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Money orders... Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
I am selling a car over the internet. A man has called me about it four times. He is unable to speak, so we have to have a go-between talk for us. He wants to send me a cashier's check for the amount I want for the car, plus extra money (as part of the total amount of the cashier's check) to have it shipped to him. This makes me leery. I have heard of scams that has the buyer send a bogus CC, the seller mails it off to his bank, the property changes hands, then the check bounces back on the seller. The seller is left holding the bag and the property is long gone. I told him via email that I do not have a residential address that is recognized by the Post Office and I get my mail at a P.O. box only. My bank is in New Jersey. I am Out West, so I can't cash a CC. All local branches of my bank closed their doors for good on September 5. My question is: Can I take a money order for the car and cash them at any local bank? Thanks!

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bigbird34
posted Hide Post
This is a scam....he'll send you a bogus check....Generally ,If it's to good to be true,ty usually is ....Take onmly cash ! BB34

Posts: 126 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 16 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is what I'm figuring. I've asked for a money order, because this is all I can really use. I have no bank to cash a cashier's check and no physical USPS mailing address. No contact from him today. I expect no further contact...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote