Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Price of beef plummeting Login/Join 
one of us
posted
We went to Sam's Club Monday. 85/15 hamburger down to $3.38/lb. That is at pre-Covid level. It was over $6.00 several months ago. I noticed worker taking expired meat out. The power of the pocketbook prevailed. Can't sell it, lower the price. Gas was down to $2.63/gal for regular from $3.01.

Posts: 3666 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gas here is still $3.49.

Pipeline terminal is only 38 miles north.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Beef may be going down in the stores but the rancher is still taking it in the shorts. My buddy + his wife have a fair sized operation in Nebraska but they are having a hard time paying for feed + as to making a profit?...... The grocers are making money but not the ranchers; so what's new?

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Feed prices are insane.

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Yep rancher friends of mine are starting to see a decline in profits. Some of them have made a killing but if prices get to low they quit raising beef and then a shortage begins all over again. No surprise that ranchers produce beef but if they can't afford to do it the banks sweep in and take over.
It would be great to see a stable market that the ranchers could budget for before they go broke. Gotta appreciate ranchers ,farmers loggers and miners.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3069 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Feed prices are insane.

A round bale of hay is around 200. Cd. now where I live, if you can find it and we feed 6 months of the year. Beef sure ain't getting cheaper where I shop.

Dairy is supply managed in Canada , it tends to keep the price stable and farmers are not facing the feast or famine issue, a good thing.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Grizz
The feast or famine thing is terrible for some of these local ranchers.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3069 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Prices aren't going down here. I bought a quarter beef from a Utah meat cutter on the way back from Wyoming in September, we're good for now.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14363 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know this is a serious issue but I'll throw a little (humor?) in with it. There was the cattle rancher that won the state lottery + when asked what he would do with all that money he replied. "Well I reckon I'll just keep ranching until it's all gone."

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fortunately my freezer is full. I am trading a bunch of lamb burger for beef burger with a friend this coming week. They raise a steer every year and I do sheep. Probably do a 20 pound swap. Variety is the spice of life.

Putting half a hog up sometime in early '22 from another neighbor. Damn those chops are good. I avoid the supermarket as much as possible. Skrooum!

~Ann

Posts: 19148 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to mention that the barter system works well + much to the chagrin of the IRS, is not being taxed. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Sounds good Ann. Fresh side pork as well? Yum!

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:

Only pigs eat pigs clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66913 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't some eat camels?

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Don't some eat camels?

We do.

It is great.

You can say o my camels eat camels too clap

Posts: 66913 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Only pigs eat pigs clap

They are delicious.

~Ann

one of us
posted Hide Post
OOOPs! Looks like camels, deer, cattle, and pigs are cousins:

"Pigs or the Suidae are more closely related to other even-toed hoofed animals, such as deer, camels, cattle and giraffes, because they are all in the Artiodactyla order. The Suidae family iss broken into the Babyrousa, Hylochoerus, Phacochoerus, Potamochoerus and Sus genera." -listalternatives.com

lol

quote:
quote:

Only pigs eat pigs clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's funny about Saeed's ignorant comment is how he claims he isn't religious or into religious dogma yet he makes such comments concerning pork which points out he is indeed religious.

He prattles on about 'science' and covid shots yet fails to understand how related swine are to much of the rest of the creatures that he would readily eat. He clearly relies on fears installed by religion to decide what he can eat. Damn those camels are ugly as sin too. Kinda sad (and weird) but that means there is 'more' for the rest of us!

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Only pigs eat pigs

As a lawyer, I've been called everything. Big Grin Who cares? Water off of a duck's back I say. rotflmo clap Someday I'll meet up with my UAE big brother (one year older than me) and we'll have a pulled pork sandwich together. jumping Damn, Saeed's too funny to take very seriously anyway. rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my area, there was a sell off with a lot of cattle. With our drought, hay prices are very high. I’m confident that prices will be very high for the consumer in the next year, unless ranchers up here can get some better hay crops.
I bought a full beef, cut and wrapped for $3.00 a pound last fall. I also bought a pig.
I’m done buying a full pig. The only good thing on a pig is bacon. I’ll take beef any day.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here in Central texas we have had a uncommonly wet summer + fall so we have had a good hay crop, but it seems to make no difference in the prices to the ranchers + as long as the processers are allowed to set the market, nothing will change. A lot o ranchers are all for setting up processing plants on their own property to cut out the middle man but the FDA is dragging their feet (I wonder who's paying them?) That right there would give fair prices to the American people again. But since that is not happening, then one has to wonder, "WHY!"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why you ask? Opportunism and greed. Never let a good crisis (real or not) go to waste. They're getting their piece of the pie. With the increase in money supply, they are afraid of being left behind in the ensuing inflation.

quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Here in Central texas we have had a uncommonly wet summer + fall so we have had a good hay crop, but it seems to make no difference in the prices to the ranchers + as long as the processers are allowed to set the market, nothing will change. A lot o ranchers are all for setting up processing plants on their own property to cut out the middle man but the FDA is dragging their feet (I wonder who's paying them?) That right there would give fair prices to the American people again. But since that is not happening, then one has to wonder, "WHY!"

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
What's funny about Saeed's ignorant comment is how he claims he isn't religious or into religious dogma yet he makes such comments concerning pork which points out he is indeed religious.

He prattles on about 'science' and covid shots yet fails to understand how related swine are to much of the rest of the creatures that he would readily eat. He clearly relies on fears installed by religion to decide what he can eat. Damn those camels are ugly as sin too. Kinda sad (and weird) but that means there is 'more' for the rest of us!

Ann,

I don’t like eating pigs not because of religion.

They remind me of certain people.

Like I don’t like eating monkeys, same reasons clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, pigs are actually quite better than most people. Maybe smarter than dogs as well.

The best thing about them is bacon.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Ann,

I don’t like eating pigs not because of religion.

They remind me of certain people.

Like I don’t like eating monkeys, same reasons clap

Saeed:You've obviously never had a good BLT Smiler

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It why Muslims are always all "Allah ahkbar" and blowing stuff up!

No bacon or beer!

sofa

Posts: 41767 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Saeed:You've obviously never had a good BLT

Or, a great pulled pork sandwich from a pork butt that has been smoked on a Traeger or Camp Chef pellet grill! tu2 Damn, I'm salivating right now just thinking about it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven’t seen a decrease in retail beef prices in our area, in fact, I took a picture of a package of steak at a Costco that was $19.99 a lb,! The last set of calves I sold in mid-October averaged $1.38 per lb, 500-650 lbs. (steers and heifers combined).
Someone is making a killing and it’s not the guy raising the cattle.
Feed, other than hay this year, is ridiculous and is at least 49% higher than a year ago. I’m fortunate enough to grow my own hay, otherwise I’d likely sell out,

Karl Evans

Posts: 2743 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:

No bacon or beer!

sofa

At least we have enough brains not pick career criminals or brainless geriatrics to rule us! clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:

No bacon or beer!

sofa

At least we have enough brains not pick career criminals or brainless geriatrics to rule us!

They just have not been convicted yet by a non-muslim court!

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5500 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its that time of year in the ranching business, feed cost go up an grass is unavailable on the big ranches for the most part, come spring ranches restock and prices go up...Imports have a deciding effect on beef prices, particularly Australia imports...NOthings much different, supply and demand..

Now gas? thats manipulated by gangsters in sheeps cloting... shocker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote