New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tax time woes. Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted
CPA called this morning + gave me the good news that due to the covid situation that I didn't make jack last year that I don't owe anything. That's the good news. The bad was that since I didn't make that much but still contributed to my Roth IRA that I would be fined by the IRS for "excess contributions". The way out of that was to contact my brokerage house + have them replace last years contributions back into my regular bank account that has been drafted monthly for years. THey made it as hard as can be for me to get MY money transferred back into my other account, Including having a "customer service rep." who can't speak English. After this is all over I am moving my money out of Wells Fargo.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear that. My mother is also in a tax time turmoil.

~Ann

Posts: 19121 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
After this is all over I am moving my money out of Wells Fargo.

Sorry to hear about your business. My business has suffered as well but we hope to improve. I hope you have a better year.

You are smart to get out of Wells Fargo. A good credit union is hard to beat in my opinion.

Posts: 2634 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "good" news in Texas is that we have until June 15th to file this year.

Two times of the year I hate; when I have to start providing info for the accountant (IRS), and when I have to pay property taxes. My advice:

Pay the IRS what they are due. (I like sleeping nights.)
Protest your property taxes. (Save a little money, but at least get their attention.)
Re-evaluate your insurance needs. (Save more than a little money.)

Posts: 13749 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
CPA called this morning + gave me the good news that due to the covid situation that I didn't make jack last year that I don't owe anything. That's the good news. The bad was that since I didn't make that much but still contributed to my Roth IRA that I would be fined by the IRS for "excess contributions". The way out of that was to contact my brokerage house + have them replace last years contributions back into my regular bank account that has been drafted monthly for years. THey made it as hard as can be for me to get MY money transferred back into my other account, Including having a "customer service rep." who can't speak English. After this is all over I am moving my money out of Wells Fargo.

Had the same problem awhile back, you'll probably get taxed once for putting it in, and again for taking it back out. Nutz...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14321 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ken, I thought it was July 15th but no matter for me as I intend to file before 4/15 + get it over with. I agree that the property taxes are the main point of protest. As you well know, the county/state taxes are killing those of us legal residents.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ken, I thought it was July 15th but no matter for me as I intend to file before 4/15 + get it over with. I agree that the property taxes are the main point of protest. As you well know, the county/state taxes are killing those of us legal residents.

Without an income tax, how else do you finance government services? Oil severance tax will only get you so far, then something has to give.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Posts: 14321 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, property taxes is what we have + they are out of sight.Especially so in the context that we have a phenomenal increase of new folks moving here, which by my rationale is that the more paying the taxes then the amounts per individual should decrease since there are more to feed the coffers. Silly me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tom, property taxes is what we have + they are out of sight.Especially so in the context that we have a phenomenal increase of new folks moving here, which by my rationale is that the more paying the taxes then the amounts per individual should decrease since there are more to feed the coffers. Silly me.

Eight years ago when I was retiring from public work life to self employment/farm life I began looking for a new state to live. Texas and several others were on the list. Actually, Texas was at the top but I quickly found that land prices and taxes were too high even then.

Now that Texas and some other states are getting a big influx of people from Kommiefornia and scads of illegals I believe I would predict that situation will become worse.

~Ann

Posts: 19121 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Way most of Tejas is private property, and already taxed. Adding residents who need services means more money is needed to provide them, and the amount of land getting taxed isn't increasing. Something has to give.

TomP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:

Way most of Tejas is private property, and already taxed. Adding residents who need services means more money is needed to provide them, and the amount of land getting taxed isn't increasing. Something has to give.

Tom, that is a terrific analysis.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tom, the vast amount of our property taxes is directed to the schools. That has been a serious bone of contention for many years as those of us who have no kids in school anymore still have to foot the bill for those that do. In addition to building more schools, they are making them ostentasious beyond your wildest dreams, starting 1st of course with a new football stadium + weight room for the jocks. The onto the school (after raises of course). The last high school bond came to 82 million for our relatively small community. It went up for a vote, was rejected, but the powers that be did it anyway because that's what they wanted. And don't bother trying to find anyone responsible for the actions, they seem to be invisible. If we knew who they were we could vote them out (maybe). There is beaucoup graft in our county tax departments. I am getting sick of being forced to finance it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, + I didn't even get into the "Robin Hood" act. That is another serious bone of contention by those of us in more affluent counties being forced to finance the school districts of the poorer areas.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I lived in Vermont the 'school taxes' on my paltry piece of mountainside was $3500. That was not including the town tax portion.

Where I am now, with much larger acreage and better weather, fewer liberal legislators, I pay $350 for school taxes.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been trying to get them to add the other 5 acres that I bought 15 years ago that adjoins my current property to add onto my homestead exemption as well as my over 65 exemption but so far they just ignore me + after 3 certified mails they still claim they never got it even when I have the signed receipts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have been trying to get them to add the other 5 acres that I bought 15 years ago that adjoins my current property to add onto my homestead exemption as well as my over 65 exemption but so far they just ignore me + after 3 certified mails they still claim they never got it even when I have the signed receipts.

Randy, sounds like a liberal paradise.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From all depts. whether the tax offices or the county LEOs, its ALL about the money!