THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Are firearms just not being made anymore?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are firearms just not being made anymore? Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted
Am looking at buying a Savage Axis XP .22-250 but just looking at the moment and I can't even find anyone that has them in stock so I can even go look at one.

Now I am assuming this is going to be the same with any make/model rifle. What is up with this situation?

~Ann

Posts: 19152 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jan was the 2nd highest on record.

My dealer friend said there is inventory out there just might not be exactly what one wants.

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Ann, I sent you an email of a local guy here who has a Marlin bolt heavy bbl. in 223 for $350.00. Personally, I would love to find another Remington 788 in 22-250. Low on the price scale but one of the best little rifles I ever owned.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I've been looking for a Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in 6.8 Western since last August. I have 17 boxes of ammo, a Swaro scope, Talley one piece rings/bases, a sling and gunsock, but no gun. Big Grin Finally called Browning/Winchester and they told me, with no apologies, that they would not have anything out to retailers until May 2022, at the very earliest.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are no rifles to even look at in shops. Maybe a shotgun on the shelf but that is it.

I'd even have a look at the 223 or the Rem 788 for sure, Randy. I am just beginning the process but want to LOOK at all the options. I'm finding that is impossible.

~Ann

Posts: 19152 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Ann, I sent you an email of a local guy here who has a Marlin bolt heavy bbl. in 223 for $350.00. Personally, I would love to find another Remington 788 in 22-250. Low on the price scale but one of the best little rifles I ever owned.

randy...i have a 788 in 308 but you can't have it!

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
You don't buy rifles; you build them. Buying them is no fun.

Posts: 17105 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:

Dude, I get that. Both my Mausers are such but I cannot afford that kind of thing anymore. I just want to be able to reach out further than my 10/22 should a varmint present itself.

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, I don't blame you, those were some very sweet little rifles. I still kick myself for selling mine in 22-250 about 40 years ago.
Tom, your comment called to mind the comment by Chester Goode on "Gunsmoke" years ago, "Mr. Dillon, you don't brew coffee, you built it," Smiler

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Am looking at buying a Savage Axis XP .22-250 but just looking at the moment and I can't even find anyone that has them in stock so I can even go look at one.

Now I am assuming this is going to be the same with any make/model rifle. What is up with this situation?

Best bang for the buck

https://www.sportsmans.com/gun...-remington/p/1434428

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not everyone is as mad as you and me.

Some go to extremes of designing and maki g their own cartridges and bullets.

I started “reloading” when I was a little kid with an air rifle.

When I ran out of pellets - I used to get a box of 100 every day from my grandad.

I discovered that by opening a shotgun shell, taking 2-3 pellets and put them in chewing gum, they killed birds just as well as pellets! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66936 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:

Not everyone is as mad as you and me.

Some go to extremes of designing and maki g their own cartridges and bullets.

I started “reloading” when I was a little kid with an air rifle.

When I ran out of pellets - I used to get a box of 100 every day from my grandad.

I discovered that by opening a shotgun shell, taking 2-3 pellets and put them in chewing gum, they killed birds just as well as pellets! clap

That is funny. When I was little, I would cut open a shotgun shell and put a few pellets in aluminum foil to do the same thing when I was out of pellets.

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Lester Brooks
posted Hide Post
Ann,
Look at the 204 Ruger cartridge. I have had several rifles from 17's-22's and now I have sold off all except the 2 20 cal. customs rifles. The flat shooting 20 cal.'s, almost no recoil lets you see the varmint explode if you have the rifle on a good rest. Several imported 204 Ruger rifles are in some shops, but ammo might be a problem now. I believe in high fps, small cal. bullets. The light weight and 22 inch barrels are short enough to carry in a pick up. I picked the 6X18 Nikon for long range use, but would pick a 3X9 for a pick up rifle.

Just my thoughts in my old age
Les, retired Pro Gunsmith just getting over the Omicron bug and hope to get out shooting soon.

Posts: 91 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 December 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
I've been looking for a Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in 6.8 Western since last August. I have 17 boxes of ammo, a Swaro scope, Talley one piece rings/bases, a sling and gunsock, but no gun. Big Grin Finally called Browning/Winchester and they told me, with no apologies, that they would not have anything out to retailers until May 2022, at the very earliest.

Yeah, I got all excited about that cartridge last year. Looked all over for a rifle, no dice. Ammo on the shelves or online of several varieties, but no rifles. I probably would have bought one in October/November, but now I lost interest and decided to just keep shooting my .300 WSM.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So I had sent Savage an email that 'might' have been slightly rude. I have not received a reply so I assume they are NOT making rifles anymore.

I've had several nice offers through email and PM. I really appreciate them. I may have lucked out on finding a rifle of this caliber but it is a Remington. I assume that means push feed? Should I be concerned?

~Ann

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not at all, Ann. I sent you an email. The Rem. 700s are fine rifles.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I had sent Savage an email that 'might' have been slightly rude. I have not received a reply so I assume they are NOT making rifles anymore.

I've had several nice offers through email and PM. I really appreciate them. I may have lucked out on finding a rifle of this caliber but it is a Remington. I assume that means push feed? Should I be concerned?

You are simply wrong.

My buddy is part owner of savage. They are sold out / back logged till end of 2022 and in full production.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Les, I bought a 500 count box of Hornady 204s to load 2 boxes for a kid here a few years ago. If you need bullets let me know. I don't shoot that calibre but components are always of value.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, that is good news that the line is still moving + even better than in full production mode, they can't keep up inventory. I would be willing to bet that all the other firearms mfgs are experiencing the same results thanks to the publics thoughts on bidenism. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure about other manufactures. Guns are cyclical and Covid buying will eventually work itself thru the system.

Savage has a nicer backlog than other manufactures.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
quote:

You are simply wrong.

My buddy is part owner of savage. They are sold out / back logged till end of 2022 and in full production.

Mike

Is there a way to get on the backlog/wait list?

~Ann

One of Us
Picture of Frostbit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not sure about other manufactures. Guns are cyclical and Covid buying will eventually work itself thru the system.

Mike

Dude, call your Buddy and help Ann out. Wink

2015 His & Her Leopards with Derek Littleton of Luwire Safaris - http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/2971090112
2015 Trophy Bull Elephant with CMS http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/1651069012
DIY Brooks Range Sheep Hunt 2013 - http://forums.accuratereloadin...901038191#9901038191
Zambia June/July 2012 with Andrew Baldry - Royal Kafue http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/7971064771
Zambia Sept 2010- Muchinga Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/4211096141
Namibia Sept 2010 - ARUB Safaris http://forums.accuratereloadin...6321043/m/6781076141

Posts: 7594 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frostbit:
quote:

Mike

Dude, call your Buddy and help Ann out. Wink

It’s savage after all.

Most guns they are making is restocking of major big box retailers.

I have some free savage guns if I want them - I feel till they have spare capacity I will not ask for them. Otherwise it is denying the owners revenue and profits to fulfill friend and family orders.

With savage most guns are manufactured for either direct buyers - select big box or the distributor chains. Most of these orders are for general selling models - 270 30/06 ect

When they get to 22-250 who knows. They are not going to get down to off the run calibers till general stuff is probably done.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

You are simply wrong.

Mike

Is there a way to get on the backlog/wait list?

The way the firearms supply chain works is you will need your retailer to back order it thru the distributor who will place an order that goes into savage backlog.

The gun industry is highly intermediated via distributors.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
https://www.gunbroker.com/All/...age%2022-250&Sort=13

Some savage 22-250 - so many savage floating around this is probably pre Covid production stuff.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Mike. Smiler

~Ann

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I only ever had one Savage rifle.

Never again!

One of the most stupidly designed pieces of junk!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66936 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
I only ever had one Savage rifle.

Never again!

One of the most stupidly designed pieces of junk!

They are very accurate and very cheap for the lower end big box packages.

The action is unique to say the least. Their accu trigger appeals to some.

Their straight pull rifle is interesting but heavy.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The last Savage I brought was the 110 ML II. Smokeless powder muzzleloader. I’m not sure if I should be leery of it or not…. Lots of kaboom issues, but most muzzleloader hunters don’t understand the concept of exact weight loading, either.

Also have a 16 ga SxS and a .410 SS that my dad learned to shoot with.

A friend loved their accuracy, and gave me a .270 that he owned for a while.

The plastic parts wore out and the gunsmith wanted 3x the value to fix it. Junked it, as it wasn’t very accurate when I got it.

Buddy thought it was a good joke watching me trying to get it to shoot like it did for him.

It became literally a grape vine stake.

Someone stole it a few years back… bet they were pissed when they found out I welded the bolt in place…

Posts: 10599 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now, Saeed, that's not completely true. I admit that the current Savage mfg, of rifles, are below par, but the older 99's are really fine pieces.

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
I subscribe to several gun magazines--Shooting Times, Guns & Ammo, Rifleshooter, etc--and they all publish reviews on new models of pistols, rifles, shotguns, and accessories.

Every now and then I'll see a review and think, "Hey, that looks pretty interesting--I might like to pick one of those up."

So I go to every imaginable firearms site, and NOBODY has the gun I'm looking for in stock.

I even had an email discussion with a gun mag publisher about lack of available stock on guns his magazines review, and he did a search and came up empty too.

What's going on?

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1546 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
I subscribe to several gun magazines--Shooting Times, Guns & Ammo, Rifleshooter, etc--and they all publish reviews on new models of pistols, rifles, shotguns, and accessories.

Every now and then I'll see a review and think, "Hey, that looks pretty interesting--I might like to pick one of those up."

So I go to every imaginable firearms site, and NOBODY has the gun I'm looking for in stock.

I even had an email discussion with a gun mag publisher about lack of available stock on guns his magazines review, and he did a search and came up empty too.

What's going on?

EXACTLY!!!!!!! tu2 tu2 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitro Express:

What's going on?

Basic tooling and production optimisation.

There was massive demand for guns with production halted or slowed between March 2020 and December 2020. Working inventory of guns was driven down to near zero.

Same time long in process r&d and new model development was in the pipeline.

As current backlog has to be filled why would producers retool for new models. They will first fill existing orders.

This is same across far more complex production items like cars.

Covid is a one time hiccup and things will normalise - they always do.

New products will come out as eventually consumer will be bored and tired of same 10/22 or Glock 17.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And that's what I love about capitalism; you build a better mousetrap + they will come knocking on your door. I will admit though that these days we need to see some new designers with interesting ideas.