THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Thinking of moving to san antonio area

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thinking of moving to san antonio area Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
My wife and I are thi king of moving to the san antonio area within the next 12-18 months. She is a nurse practitioner and is completing another Certificate which will add psychology to her long resume. I am a landscape architect. So I am sure neither would struggle to find work, I may look to do something else anyway.
We would want to be not in town. I am under the impressions that to shoot on your own land you need 10 acres.
Any suggestions of directions to look or small towns within an hour or so of downtown.
Or any general tips
Brent

Posts: 718 | Location: va | Registered: 30 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brent,

I think you want 30 acres to shoot on your own land, without having neighbors hearing it and giving you a hard time.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will follow this thread closely as one place I want move to is San Antonio.

Probably won’t happen but if things work out I may buy a house there.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I have 15 acres + shoot on my own land. Like anything else just use common sense + a good backstop. Outside of San Antonio I would recommend that you look at Greune or New Braunfels. They are close to S.A. but not that far from Austin. Lots of jobs in your fields in both cities. Much better weather there than where you are now. I lived for 4 years in Hampton so I know.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bexar County is not a good venue if you ever get sued. If you live there, they can sue you there. Bexar County has rotating docket system where you don't know who your judge is until the case is actually called to trial, making it very difficult to evaluate a case. I wouldn't live there. But frankly, most of Texas is getting more plaintiff-friendly. Sorry, I look at things from a defense lawyer's perspective.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, for the advise. Unfortunate I believe the entire country is rolling that way. I realize that Tx of today, hell Beto alomst beat Cruz, is not once what is was, but I am in Virginia. It has turned horrible here.

quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Bexar County is not a good venue if you ever get sued. If you live there, they can sue you there. Bexar County has rotating docket system where you don't know who your judge is until the case is actually called to trial, making it very difficult to evaluate a case. I wouldn't live there. But frankly, most of Texas is getting more plaintiff-friendly. Sorry, I look at things from a defense lawyer's perspective.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Understood. Hell, Harris County isn't much better after the last election. I'd move to Fort Bend County if I wasn't so fond of my one kilometer commute to work.

Posts: 10000 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an old friend that lives in New Braunfels + he has told me that Comal County has the highest rate of convictions that use the death penalty. So attorneys that want that result would have the trial moved to that county. That is what I was told, I can't verify that as fact. I know what you mean, it seems to be getting crazier everywhere. As I have said before we seem now to more of a legal system than a justice system. All things considered, you might want to entertain Austin (Travis County) over Bexar but be aware that Austin (being a college town for one) is an island of blue in a sea of red. That being said, it still is a great town. I would'nt live in San Antonio on a bet.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah NC, I wa sin Austin once looking to buy some boots. Hell some of the women had more hair in their arm pits than me. Saw some dude dressed in a little ballerina tutu with deer antlers strapped to his head riding a bike. It was tempting to run him off the bridge. I did not feel like I was in TX. Then found out Apple moved a large portion of Cupertino to Austin. I feel, at least downtown, I would get in trouble with that type of BS. San Angelo is our other area of interest, maybe we should concentrate our effort there.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, you encountered Leslie.He/she was a regular occurrence about town. And as the local bicycle riders clubs are proud to say, "You know us, the guys that shave their legs + the women that don't." You are correct, I think San Angelo might suit you better.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have friends in Kerrville who really enjoy it there. I would recommend you go out and look around that area. Kerrville is a growing area and would probably have plenty of work for you and your wife. It is about an hour west of San Antonio on I-10.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dale. I flew into Kerrville last year on they to the FTW ranch. Nice little town.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True, Kerrville is a great little town (still) + as Dale mentioned, only an hour from San Antonio if commuting is not a problem. We have a lot of folks out there that live in Burnet, Llano, + Mason, all on HWY 29 that commute to Austin to work but live there because the tax base is so low, + believe me you can't afford the property taxes in Austin.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
texas requires 10 acres to be able to shoot. if you want a REAL small town in a beautiful location look at utopia. good friend lives there and we visit a lot. they shoot axis deer off their back porch anytime they want when they run outta venison. no season/limit on em and they're all over the place. they live /2 mile from downtown which has maybe 4 businesses. just opened a gunstore too. its in the hill country. view can't be beat. no pink hair and everybodys friendly.

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:

that theres whats known as judge shopping. Cool

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
I'll follow this thread too.

Spent a week in the Hill Country back in Dec. and it's on our retirement home list!

10 acres to shoot? Seems to be a lot..

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got 15 acres here in the hill country + I love it but with the new developments moving in the tax base is skyrocketing. This is primarily due to all the new schools being built. In my opinion, all those taxes should be paid by the realty firms as they are the only ones who benefit. An old argument that won't change but when I had kids in school I had no problem paying the taxes but I do have a problem paying for other kids + all the ostentatious schools being built.

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
NC- what do you think of the Fredricksburg area?

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will LOVE it. The combination of small-town living + old-world charm. There are great restaurants there + all the people that I have met were friendly. Add to this that you are in a reasonable commute distance to either Austin or San Antonio. Let's face it, Kerrville has its charm in the retirement atmosphere but no industry. A great place to live but one needs to commute to make the big bucks. The state's best peaches as well. Other ideas that are comparable are New Braunfels + Fredericksburg.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I wrote Fredericksburg again. The Chester Nimitz museum is there as well + if you speak German your path will be treaded with roses.

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Sorry, I wrote Fredericksburg again. The Chester Nimitz museum is there as well + if you speak German your path will be treaded with roses.

I loved it, I do speak a bit of Deutsch. The wife and I have it on our short list.

Cost of living should be reasonable, I would think, particularly in the outskirts.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I lived in San Antonio for 6 weeks :-)

Posts: 6384 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I liked Fredericksburg.
I wanted to like Burnet, as my great-grandfather was born there in December 1856, four months after his papa was murdered on a business trip to San Saba. I liked San Saba more.
What turned me off on that area was the summer humidity. Being a West Coastie, I am used to humidities in the single digits, which is why this part of New Mexico suits me fine.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's true Bill, we do have some serious humidity here. I don't have to get out in it as much as I used to but it stills kicks my axx. As an old buddy once said, "It's not the heat, It's the stupidity."