Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting lease Texad Login/Join 
One of Us
posted
Could someone please recommend a good source for hunting leases in Texas.

I am moving there soon. All of the hunting I have done in Texas has been on private ranches.

Thank you.

Posts: 61 | Location: Fallbrook, Ca | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
Go to the Dallas Safari Club convention in January... there'll be anything you could ever want... otherwise, google several taxidermy shops in whatever area, that you'll be moving to.. they know the hunters. lease holders... most large real estate companies (that handle ranch sales) can point you in the right direction... Wilderness Taxidermy ( Jimmy Fontenot) in San Angelo usually has some day and season leases...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2824 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Well, be ready to spend some money + deal with frustrations. The last couple of leases I had had the rules change after they were paid. I.E. Their relatives just showing up, hunting your stand + feeders.etc. Oh you can complain to the landowner but you're still stuck with him for the year + anymore there is no guarantee that you'll get to renew the next year so any improvements you've made get you shot out of the saddle. That's about the only positive thing I can say about day leases. I strictly just hunt on my own land these days.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the insight.

Posts: 61 | Location: Fallbrook, Ca | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That being said, I knew a man in Castell (between Llano + Mason) who has/had the Willian S. Kid Ranch back in the 70s. He's most likely dead now + his kids inherited the ranch. I built lodges + stands for him back in the day + his wildlife management was superb, to produce quality deer. His name was Howard Parsonage (dead now I'm sure) but he specialized in 1, 2, or 3-day hunts + supplied bunkhouses + meals in the big house + transport to + from the stands. It might be worth looking online + see if they are still there. Someone must be, the deer were very large + well horned + it was too much of a money maker to let die on the vine.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote