THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MISCELLANEOUS FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Miscellaneous Topics    Officer involved shooting at Cabelas in Bowling Green Ky

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Officer involved shooting at Cabelas in Bowling Green Ky Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted
This is about an hour from where I grew up. Store has just been opened a few months

http://www.wbko.com/home/headl...Green-285732961.html

BOWLING GREEN, Ky. (WBKO) -- KSP said BGPD was called to a shoplifting call just before 8 PM. Police said a man was trying to steal an AR-15.

Cabela's told KSP that Elliott Cummings, 33, of Naiperville, IL took the rifle from a shelf and put it inside his pants. After Cummings went to the restroom, police said he left the store with the gun still in his pants.

A witness on the scene said they saw a man running in the parking lot. Shortly after they heard a voice yell "Stop!"

Police said the suspect then reached for his waistband.

Then a BGPD Officer Clifton Phelps pulled a gun and fired. At least one shot hit the Cummings. After being hit he fell to the ground.

Cummings was air lifted to Skyline Medical Center in Nashville, where he's being treated for non-life threatening injuries.

Officer Phelps has been placed on administrative leave. That's according to BGPD policy

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I realize it's department policy, but they should give him a marksmanship medal and put him back on the job.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Really! Shooting an armed, fleeing suspect gets you put on administrative leave. It's a wonder police officers even bother to show up at a crime scene.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After they shot him, and recovered the stolen weapon, they should have stood on the wound to stem the bleeding, while writing him a citation. Then stuck the citation in the entrance wound, gone back inside and gone back to work. Let him find his own ride to Skyline Medical Center.

What a piece of trash!

I'm inclined to support law enforcement regardless of the circumstances. They've got a tough job, just like the military. I would rather support them than take their place. They don't get paid near enough to put up with all the shit they have to endure.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Administrative leave is SOP for any police officer involved in a shooting. It is not discipline but basically paid time off while the officer and the department sort through the facts/circumstances involved.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kensco,

That's rather harsh! But I like it.

Posts: 9952 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
and will we see Sharpton and Jackson investigating / supporting these victims' families.......yeah, right.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/...icers-shot/20698679/

one of us
posted Hide Post
At least Sharpton commented. Jackson?.....nothing.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/21/...index.html?hpt=hp_t1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the suspect was white Al will make an announcement about rednecks and LEO's racistly excluding blacks from the process...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote