New
Find
Notify
Tools

Things millenials will never see Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
The kids selling Grit newspaper door to door ( no great loss there)

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Fresh milk (right from the cow) with a thick layer of cream. (Thanks Ann for the pic and the reminder!) Making your own butter and cheese. Fresh side pork. Helping to butcher your own beef, mutton and pigs. Bucking hay. Using the outhouse. Getting water for my grandparents from their own spring and dipping that ladle into the spring and drinking that cold, sweet fresh water. Hauling coal by the bucketful into their house for heating and cooking. Watching grandma cooking all meals on a wood burning/coal burning stove. Kerosene lanterns. Making lye soap to wash with.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I moved out here years ago we still had crank telephones before SW Bell moved in. I still feel privileged to have experienced that.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the saddest things driving through central KY is seeing all the tobacco barns torn down.

In the community my biological mother grew up in. The barns were torn down bc metheads were infesting them.

Others were storm hazards.

Posts: 10681 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We're breeding a generation of wimps IMHO. I went to Catholic schools. The nuns beat me with rulers in elementary, the brothers slapped me and hit me with their fists in junior high and high school. I hit them back occasionally. we got in fights all the time and it was understood. Now, kids, can't fight and you wonder why they are bullied. Sad state of affairs in my opinion.

Posts: 9970 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
we got in fights all the time and it was understood.

Not any more. They call the cops and arrest them for assault and battery. Shizz, I saw fights in JHS and HS. (Some I was in) But, no one called the cops, and sometimes teachers saw it happening and occasionally broke one up if it got too bad.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
And in my own humble opinion, that is another thing that is wrong with this country now; we have allowed Pussies to get away with things that would have NEVER been allowed before. If you run your head then be prepared for the consequences. You talk shit, you get your ass kicked. Nothing wrong with that in my mind; it tends to make a much more polite society than what we now endure. Oh + BTW, the cops + lawyers don't need to get involved in those altercations.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Playground justice, it worked.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep tu2