New
Find
Notify
Tools

Things millenials will never see Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Jiri,thank you. You are correct that most today can not use a sextant,or read semaphore for that matter,or morse code. I am one of the fortunate ones who was in the REAL Boy Scouts,back when our scout masters were all navy WW2 vets + taught us knotwork,navigation,marksmanship,ad affinium. I treasured that knowledge then + still do today. Seems however that today in the "pussy movement" that the Boy Scouts should not be perceived as some sort of military training unit.What a crock of liberal propoganda. That was exactly what Baden Powell had in mind.And he was right. I have 1 friend left in Germany from WW2 that had to serve in the Hitler Youth. This is NOT anywhere near the same. I agree that I hope none of our children will that kind of soviet aggression or any other kind.Here's my stump speech;If you let Hillary or anyone on the tratorist left allow the U.N. to override the U.S. Constitution (LAW OF THE LAND) then we + our children are in deep merde.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The little glass with a turbine inside, on top of the gas pump. To assure the customer that gas was flowing. The early gas pumps had a glass reservoir on top. You pumped the gas into the reservoir then let it flow down into your tank. I recall seeing some of those in the 1940's.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Starter switch on floor. Flathead engines. Choke button. Spark advance and throttle lever on steering column. The Jewel Tea man and his brown truck. Super Constellation airliners. Attractive airline stewardesses. American citizen migrant farm workers. 19 cent 22 LR ammo at the grocery store. Cane or bamboo fishing poles. Cushman Eagle motor scooters. Oak plank pickup beds. Real Winchester firearms. House call doctors. Cuban cigars. "Bubble gum machines" on cop cars. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was going to say a Rand McNally Road Atlas, but they still make them. My last one was 1997.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
A nickel cigar

Cars with fenders

A rumble seat

A Soda Jerk

A "Full Service" island at a gas station

A caboose

Shoe shine machine

Men on the moon

A Schwinn Sting-Ray with banana seat

The concorde

A Fotomat

A Two Stroke powered motorcycle

An elephant at a circus

A typewriter

A player piano

A victrola

33, 45 and 78 RPM LP's & SP's

8 Track

Betamax

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2908 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I don't agree with some. If you travel a little, you will see many things mentioned above:

The little glass with a turbine inside - seen sometimes on modern gas pumps in Europe

Attractive airline stewardesses - don't fly with Delta, British or American airlines and it will be much better ;-)

Bamboo fishing pole - seen one last year in Cabelas in South Carolina

Shoe shine machine - seen sometimes in hotels

A Two Stroke powered motorcycle - a lot of around the world

Cuban cigars - everywhere except USA

The concorde - not flying, but seen one last year in Sinshaim, Germany

And many more :-)

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A glass or cup in a box of oatmeal.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
33, 45 and 78 RPM LP's & SP's:

The production of vinyl records is increasing. In our country, we have one of the best known factory in the world - http://www.gzvinyl.com/ (produced 14 000 000 records in 2014)

There is also a lot of turntables, for DJs and Hi-Fi. For example this austrian company make it here in Czech Republic - http://www.project-audio.com/m...t=turntables&lang=en

Just look for another end of Hi-Fi, not low one ;-)

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
Bigfoot, Golem, Nessie... ;-)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 2908 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jiri, on the vinyl records. I still have about a dozen of the nickel masters the vinyls were made from. I never knew whose records they were just that they were pure nicklle. I cut them up for years to put in my Damascus.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
The millennial golfers will never get the opportunity to "hit it in the screws".

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was watching Hud (the movie) last night. Paul Newman used an old style beer can opener to punch two triangular shaped holes in the top of his beer can. (If you remember, the other end of the opener was to pop the cap off of a beer bottle.) Those openers are collectibles now; some going for about $10 on ebay.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A computer that you talk to in machine language, that has no operating system, that has core memory and forgets everything when power is removed.
A pay phone (there are still a few but damn hard to find).
Shredded wheat that comes in mini hay bails that have to be broken up by hand.
Car windows that have to be opened with a crank.
Oil that has to be changed every 1000 miles.
Kids in school that have had Polio and walk with crutches.
The list is endless.
C.G.B.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Two-meter amateur radio emergency communication networks that can't be shut down with a simple over-the-air software update from China...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A few more:
Airports without security lines.
Cops that carry revolvers, not MP5's or M4's.
Mothers that don't have to work.
Girls with real boobs and no tattoos.
School reports requiring the use of a library and books.
Talking to a person that can complete a sentence without using the F word at least once.
People that can do simple math in their heads.
Having to suffer with mumps, measles, or chickenpox, although there are some mothers today that think such things are wonderful, natural experiences.
John Wayne and Walter Cronkite.
Living without WiFi.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personal accountability, with appropriate consequences.

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
How about One-speed bicycles that weighed about 70 pounds with fat tires that really gave you a workout.

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whitewall tires I suspect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Ken, I remember church keys well, still have a few. Who would have thought that they would have that kind of value today? I still have the oil spout that I kept in an oil-soaked rag under the seat to puncture the cans. Hud was + is a great movie; Larry Mcmurtry's 1st book written under the title "Horseman Pass By."

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Riding in the bed of the pickup truck.

Copper pennies in the fuse box.

Trying to tune in the radio frequency with the knob.

Driving partially repaired cars while sitting on a milk crate.

Jiri/NormanConquest, Marines (and Army) are still doing Land Nav with map and compass. Navy is still doing Celestial Navigation, Maneuver (Mo) Boards, and P Works (using tide tables and maps to plan the right time/tide to make sure you have high enough tide not to run aground or a low enough tide to get under the bridges).

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgbach:
A computer that you talk to in machine language, that has no operating system, that has core memory and forgets everything when power is removed.
A pay phone (there are still a few but damn hard to find).
Shredded wheat that comes in mini hay bails that have to be broken up by hand.
Car windows that have to be opened with a crank.
Oil that has to be changed every 1000 miles.
Kids in school that have had Polio and walk with crutches.
The list is endless.
C.G.B.

Shredded Wheat still comes standard in the mini hay bails you describe. I've got two boxes of it on the shelf right now.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
How much freedom they lost after 9-11

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
abacus, slide rule, Curta calculator

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1496 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cars and trucks with running boards

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rabbithabit:
Cars and trucks with running boards

I'm going to throw in, real bumpers.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1577 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
True. A few years ago a customer sent his wife to pick up a chimney cap from my shop + my dog bit through the bumper of the new Ford F-150. I just gave her the cap no charge but told her I would be concerned about my safety in a truck that a dog can bite through the bumper. Also a few years ago I was in the Snap-On tool truck + he had a box of plastic pop rivets + after asking what those were for he said it's the body kit for the new Plymouths. It seems that now all the body parts, quarter panels + all are installed with plastic pop rivets to make the change outs easy.

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brice:
Live TV that was actually live. Think Dorothy Kilgallen (What's My Line?), Groucho Marx, Jack Benny, My how times have changed! (You'll never see another Rochester), and many dozens more who didn't need a script to be entertaining.

Not True!! Lisa Blunt(skull)-Rochester is a State Representative in Delaware! Maybe she's related? Big Grin

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1957 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
-Drum full of military surplus rifles to
choose from at prices from $25 - $99

- Barrel of fired brass sold by the pound

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TomP:
Snow tires with 78-profile tread and sawdust mixed with the rubber for traction...

Oh yes, F-78-15 Walnut shell retreads. tu2

Posts: 2349 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drive In movies (And 5 bucks a car load night).
Lawn darts
Pop Guns

Posts: 154 | Location: Sourland Mt. , NJ | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of carpediem4570
posted Hide Post
Kids playing with train sets. H.O. rules.

Kind regards,

Carpediem

No politician who supports gun control should recieve armed protection paid for by those he is trying to disarm.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-scotch in one hand-Chocolate in the other-body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WHOO-HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!"

Madly Off In All Directions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Train sets indeed ! + as was mentioned cap guns made out of metal W/O an orange tip.

one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
An 8-track blasting Steppenwolf over the sound of headers and glass-packs.

Buying 22 ammo at Western-Auto

Buying shotgun shells at K-Mart

A High School with an indoor shooting range (my HS in WI had one)

0351 USMC

Posts: 1531 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh GOD, now that brings back some memories! Do you know who wrote, "Born To Be Wild"? A dude named Mars Bonfire + he was writing about his new Corvair. Go figure.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys being born in 88. I have seen personally all these things.

I use to wear my Mom’s Indiana Jones like Winston awards leather jacket. I even saw Camel Cigarette TV ads.

My grandpa had I swear a V10 Chevy wo no seatbelts. I did not get to see unleaded gas.

A heavy wind would jock out our electricity for weeks. Burned a lot of coal and kerosene.

I saw Ric Flair wrestle Ricky Steamboat. Ate more candy cigarettes than most folks smoked. I never picked up a pack.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nehru jackets.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Driving your pick up truck to high school with your deer rifles or shotguns in the gun rack of the rear window, leaving them there all day and hunting after school; Driving a two tone '54 Chevy Coupe (all steel) with stick shift on the driving column; driving a 49 Nash; leaving your house unlocked; leaving the keys in your car; going to the 5 cent Saturday matinee; girls wearing garter belts to hold up their hose; shooting rats at the local dump with your .22s; visiting with your grandparents who had an outhouse, hauled coal and wood for the wood/coal burning stove to cook on; hauling water from the spring as there was no running water or toilets in their house; getting one of the first polio shots; visiting with great grandparents who were born in the late 1800's, grandparents who were born in the early part of the 20th century (1900); World Book Encyclopedias; silver certificates (money); old Indian head nickels; Indian head pennies; dimes and quarters made of silver; nickel candy bars; mimeograph machines and mimeograph paper; corner drug stores with a malt shoppe; non-rotary phones where you picked up the receiver and then asked the operator to connect you to so and so in town (and then the operator listened in on your conversation); subsequent rotary phones; telephone switch boards with full time switch board operators; old Herter's and Sears catalogs; addressing letters to people in town by just putting their name on the envelope and then writing "City"; being born in a house instead of a hospital; no zip codes; no freeways; crew cuts and butch wax, or long hair and brill cream; sneaking kids into the drive-in in the trunk of the car; . . . . . . and the list goes on and on and on. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
UEG, I can relate to every one of them!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2 Big Grin Oh, and simulated air raid drills during elementary school, in our cold war with Russia and Khrushchev. 20 minutes before the "bomb" would hit for you to either make it home and take cover, or hide under your desk at school. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Rifles in the back windows of trucks. At school!

Half the girls in your high school class graduating without getting knocked up. We only had one, I graduated in 93.

My sister's kid is 15 and just crapped out her 2nd kid.

I thought wood stocked rifles were as dead as the Dodo but here comes Mossberg.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote