Find
Notify
Tools

Things millenials will never see Login/Join 
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rifles in the back windows of trucks. At school!

Yep. All of the time, and no break-ins. tu2 Big Grin Eventually some of us ran a cable and lock through the trigger guards for extra security. rotflmo

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
And not just at schools either; everywhere we went, grocery stores, post office, you name it + they were never stolen.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shag rugs.

Posts: 13760 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shag rugs.

Or, shag carpet. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And not just at schools either; everywhere we went, grocery stores, post office, you name it + they were never stolen.

Yep! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
A cap pistol
Willie Mays in his prime

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
selling "coke" bottles for .02 cents then spending the money on candy, comic books and model airplanes that hung from your bedroom ceiling.... "pumping" your best friend from 3rd grade on the back of your bicycle everywhere you went, then being able to paint your old bike, put new pedals and grips on the handle bars and give it to him for Christmas... because he had 5 other brothers and sisters and a bicycle wasn't in his Santa's budget... having a evening paper route where you threw 40 papers, a subscription cost $1.25/month and several ppl paid you a dime a day, just because they could... having 1 customer that paid you in "silver" coins and always told you that one day they'd be worth more as silver than the coinage they represented...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2824 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, our deer hunting vehicles were old Willys World War II surplus jeeps and Tote Gotes. The guy that invented the Tote Gote just died last month. None of the four wheelers that everybody has and uses today. We also hunted with recurve bows, cedar wood
homemade feather-fletched arrows(we made our own fletching device) with our own design painted on each arrow and old World War II camo. We also carried our arrows in a standard leather quiver strapped over our shoulder and back. Leather arm guards and leather three-fingered shooting gloves. The Bod-kin B broadhead that we used had three used single Schick injector razor blades that we plio-bonded to the broadhead ourselves.(Forerunner to the razor broadheads of today) Now, it's compound bows, fiber optic sights, fancy arrow rests, stabilizers, carbon arrows with plastic fletching, lighted nocks, and every broadhead configuration and hunting camo pattern known to mankind. Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another one, if not already mentioned, is paper shotgun shells. Such were standard back in the day. Big Grin I remember when plastic shot shells rolled out. We bought a bunch of boxes of Federal plastic shot shells and thought they were strange at first.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn, I still have a bunch. Over the years when dove season comes around, I just go out + buy a new case + forget about last year's rounds. They are/ were so cheap that it wasn't worth it to reload shotgun. Speaking of razors, I still have my straight razor but my youngest son (30) found my old (safety razor) + wanted it. He said it gave a better shave than anything available today. So I guess some of them are open to suggestion.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin tu2

Administrator
posted Hide Post
A shotgun standing behind the class room door, with a box of ammo next to it.

Waiting for the end of class so it’s owner can carry it out and shoot birds close to school.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66800 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep. tu2 tu2 tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's how I grew up. It's a pity that we most likely will never see those days again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My brother and I got in a disagreement over the name of an old college professor that used to live across the street from us when we were growing up. I thought I could settle it by going to an old college yearbook. It wasn't there, but something else caught my eye. Two of the professors were shown in their yearbook photos holding either a deer rifle or a shotgun. One caption, "A true sportsman, L. S., dean of men, cleans his gun prior to hunting season". Another, C. V. P., Director of Auxiliary Services, cleans his shotgun". I doubt millennials will see professors holding weapons in their college year books.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
True. And they will never see Herb Parsons driving across America in his station wagon giving shooting displays funded by Winchester.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another good one Randy! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found this pic in one of my yearbooks from yesteryear. Ignore the Pilgrims and Indians in the lower part-none of them are me, by the way. rotflmo Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mc donalds milk delivery truck from door to door service. and you hand that little silver milk cooler on the door step. My grandfather use to load all kinds of vegetables on his dodge pick up and sell the produce on the streets he use to drive up and down.

Posts: 112 | Location: northern lower michigan | Registered: 22 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Bob Ross painting on public tv.

Heck, I doubt millennials even know about public tv.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

He still is-repeats of his old shows are still running on some channels. Big Grin That afro and 70's clothing. . . . . . . . . .and his parting "God Bless" Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The smell of a fired paper shotgun shell.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The smell of a fired 22 is a trigger to memories of my childhood. My kids have gotten tired of hearing me say that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree on the last two posts! tu2

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:

He still is-repeats of his old shows are still running on some channels. Big Grin That afro and 70's clothing. . . . . . . . . .and his parting "God Bless" Big Grin

He had the most amazing fro for a white man.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3428 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Freedom !

Posts: 513 | Location: NE Washington | Registered: 27 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You have a point there Judge.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A handshake seals a deal + it is carved in stone as to honor.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always enjoyed drilling for ARCO in West Texas. The drilling manager would send me a blank contract and tell me to fill in the prices. No sealed bidding, just a level of trust that we would treat them fair. We had a similar relationship with Mobil Oil for many years. It was like working for family. You watched out for them and they watched out for you. You enjoyed going to work every day.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
The smell of a fired 22 is a trigger to memories of my childhood. My kids have gotten tired of hearing me say that.

Green box Remingtons.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14340 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An encyclopedia salesman at their door.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 We had a lady in the neighborhood that sold World Book encyclopedias. Everyone treated her like a professor. We still have the full set sitting in our library. They were the 'go to' before computers, and we'd get the yearly update volume each year. tu2 We also have the full set of 'ChildCraft' as well. Big Grin My, how times have certainly changed, as now you hold an entire library in your cell phone, along with thousands of songs and thousands of pictures, for starters. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 788:
The smell of a fired paper shotgun shell.

Man that brought back memories. I still have about 500 paper empties that need to be loaded.

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
UEG, I know what you mean. I don't own a cell. phone + all my information is from a lifetime of knowledge instead of a keyboard stroke. I know that knowledge gained is of more real value than that of the internet cruisers; they haven't truly learned anything unless they are seeking online info that has NO bearing on what they know. Oh + BTW meme, I have a bunch of hulls lying around as well. That was a remembered smell was it not?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
True. And they will never see Herb Parsons driving across America in his station wagon giving shooting displays funded by Winchester.

I remember a man coming to our elementary school in the early 60's putting on a shooting exhibition. Wonder if this was him.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh + BTW meme, I have a bunch of hulls lying around as well. That was a remembered smell was it not?

Yes sir! I can smell that just like it was yesterday! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Fuller Brush man. My father in law did it for 30+ years.

Or the scissor sharpening guy. this guy would walk the streets of town with his crank powered grinder on his back.

how about three or four or more "party lines" phone. Ours at home was "one l;ong and two short, Answer it and Tell Margaret to "get off the line!"

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5499 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
quote:
Oh + BTW meme, I have a bunch of hulls lying around as well. That was a remembered smell was it not?

Yes sir! I can smell that just like it was yesterday! tu2

Remember it like it was yesterday. Red Dot and card wads. Ummmmm....

Posts: 360 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Fuller Brush man. My father in law did it for 30+ years.

Or, the Tupperware lady walking the neighborhood, or the Tupperware 'parties'. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
Vacuum cleaner salesman going door to door. Milk delivery to your door 3x/week. Both parents smoked like chimneys so Mom’s weekly grocery cart had 4-5 cartons of cigarettes.

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13112 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote